Neurology Residency Application Timeline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigloley

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a 3rd year MD student who has recently become interested in neurology. I'm at a low to mid tier allopathic school which does not offer a neurology clerkship so I will have to take it during the beginning of my 4th year. I've currently secured a neurology clerkship at a good program in August and my school has advised me to take my step 2 in July.

Because I will only have taken 1 neurology rotation by September I will only have one letter or recommendation when eras opens. I was wondering If I should move my step 2 to September and have 2 neuro related rotations in July and August. I received a 244 on my step 1 and my grades have been a mix of honors and high passes.

So my question is would it be more beneficial for me to have that extra neuro rotation in before eras or have my step 2 completed already?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Pretty sure that the Step 2 exams are not required for your application to be deemed "complete" by programs you applied to. A submitted USMLE report with your step 1 is though, as well as the letters. My school (US MD) told us last year at we needed to do step 2 by dec of senior year I believe. Also, your step 1 score and grades are solid, should not hold you back from getting any interviews.
Seems to me you'd be better off doing the rotation if it's one or the other. That way you'd have your letters in, and be sure that neurology is the field you want to apply to.

use a medicine letter, get 2 letters from your away. Ask a neurology chair or PD or research mentor you know well for a letter. What are you doing July? get a letter during that rotation. You should have all your letters lined up before ERAS opens. It will take them time to finish writing them. Your step 1 score is good, so you don't have to have your step 2 in, but honestly it sucks to take it later in the year when you're trying to interview or trying to enjoy post-interview 4th year.