Neurology Residency in Canada vs USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snufkin002

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm just trying to get a sense of what the portability is like in terms of a neurology residency in Canada vs the United States. My understanding is that there is a time difference (4 years in the US vs 5 years in Canada), but I don't know of really any other differences.

What is it like for US residency graduates of neurology to try and practice in Canada? Are there are additional qualifications necessary?

Would appreciate any insight! Please PM me or post here :)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to practice in Canada you should just do your residency there. You would have to make up that 5th year somehow to sit for the Royal college exam which I hear is significantly harder than the american boards (and partly why the training is 5 years in Canada to provide time to study).

Reactions: 1 user
If you want to practice in Canada you should just do your residency there. You would have to make up that 5th year somehow to sit for the Royal college exam which I hear is significantly harder than the american boards (and partly why the training is 5 years in Canada to provide time to study).
Thank you so much for the reply!

Just two follow-up questions: does the 5th year requirement still count as a difference if someone does a fellowship after the 4 years of neuro residency in terms of equivalency between US and Canada, for the Royal College?

Secondly, what is it about the Royal College vs the US neuro boards that makes it so much harder? -- I hadn't heard this before -- (I appreciate you may not have done both, but would gladly hear your opinion!)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
That is really the limit of my knowledge on this topic. You should try to find someone who has done the transition or contact the Royal college.

Thank you so much for the reply!

Just two follow-up questions: does the 5th year requirement still count as a difference if someone does a fellowship after the 4 years of neuro residency in terms of equivalency between US and Canada, for the Royal College?

Secondly, what is it about the Royal College vs the US neuro boards that makes it so much harder? -- I hadn't heard this before -- (I appreciate you may not have done both, but would gladly hear your opinion!)

Thanks!
Don't know anything about the Canadian board but the 5th year is usually made up with fellowship or an additional year of residency, either one is fine. This applies to all other specialties as well.