Neurology residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JCX

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the odds of getting into a Neurology Residency? I am an IMG with a poor Step 1 score (79), plan to ace the Step 2 CK (in december this year), get USCE (can only afford 4weeks outside my country as I will be working), pass Step 2 CS and ace Step 3 (next year) in time for the 2012 match (for Neurology).
I would greatly appreciate advice in this regard.

Members don't see this ad.

What are the odds of getting into a Neurology Residency? I am an IMG with a poor Step 1 score (79), plan to ace the Step 2 CK (in december this year), get USCE (can only afford 4weeks outside my country as I will be working), pass Step 2 CS and ace Step 3 (next year) in time for the 2012 match (for Neurology).
I would greatly appreciate advice in this regard.

I'll offer my 2-cents since you haven't had any luck yet. That's not a great score, and it might see your application filtered out by some programs, but certainly not all. If you apply broadly and 'ace' Step 2 you've got a shot.

This topic has been discussed before, and the opinions range from 'you're f**ked' to 'anything is possible', so don't expect an easy answer. For a recent thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=757924
And for some inspiration:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=703599

The most thing I can offer is the NRMP data:
http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

People with a Step one around yours do match. It'll help if you can show your interest in neurology by committing to it - screw neurosurgery! :smuggrin:

Good luck.

I looked up one of the posts. Have you taken Step2? If so, what was your score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I looked up one of the posts. Have you taken Step2? If so, what was your score?

You realize, I assume, that that thread isn't 'about' me, right? :)

Just wondering what my Step 2 score would have to do with anything...

I'm very sorry if I came across as prying. I for some reason was under the wrong impression that you are the person referred to in the first link you suggested. I was wondering what the Step 2 score of the person AOX4 is? I apologise.
I really want to know whether a good Step 2 score can buffer the effect of my poor Step 1 score.

I'm very sorry if I came across as prying. I for some reason was under the wrong impression that you are the person referred to in the first link you suggested. I was wondering what the Step 2 score of the person AOX4 is? I apologise.
I really want to know whether a good Step 2 score can buffer the effect of my poor Step 1 score.

Tone is such a difficult thing on forums. I tried to make it light with the :)

But you weren't being rude, and I wasn't offended! I simply wanted to make sure you realize that I'm NOT the guy with the epic story...

Thanks. I would still love to know opinions about the amount of help a good Step 2 score, USCE and a good Step 3 score can give to my poor Step 1 score in view of my residency application