Neurology residency

Started by JCX
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JCX

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What are the odds of getting into a Neurology Residency? I am an IMG with a poor Step 1 score (79), plan to ace the Step 2 CK (in december this year), get USCE (can only afford 4weeks outside my country as I will be working), pass Step 2 CS and ace Step 3 (next year) in time for the 2012 match (for Neurology).
I would greatly appreciate advice in this regard.
 
What are the odds of getting into a Neurology Residency? I am an IMG with a poor Step 1 score (79), plan to ace the Step 2 CK (in december this year), get USCE (can only afford 4weeks outside my country as I will be working), pass Step 2 CS and ace Step 3 (next year) in time for the 2012 match (for Neurology).
I would greatly appreciate advice in this regard.

I'll offer my 2-cents since you haven't had any luck yet. That's not a great score, and it might see your application filtered out by some programs, but certainly not all. If you apply broadly and 'ace' Step 2 you've got a shot.

This topic has been discussed before, and the opinions range from 'you're f**ked' to 'anything is possible', so don't expect an easy answer. For a recent thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=757924
And for some inspiration:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=703599

The most thing I can offer is the NRMP data:
http://www.nrmp.org/data/index.html

People with a Step one around yours do match. It'll help if you can show your interest in neurology by committing to it - screw neurosurgery! :meanie:

Good luck.
 
I looked up one of the posts. Have you taken Step2? If so, what was your score?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I looked up one of the posts. Have you taken Step2? If so, what was your score?

You realize, I assume, that that thread isn't 'about' me, right? 🙂

Just wondering what my Step 2 score would have to do with anything...
 
I'm very sorry if I came across as prying. I for some reason was under the wrong impression that you are the person referred to in the first link you suggested. I was wondering what the Step 2 score of the person AOX4 is? I apologise.
I really want to know whether a good Step 2 score can buffer the effect of my poor Step 1 score.
 
I'm very sorry if I came across as prying. I for some reason was under the wrong impression that you are the person referred to in the first link you suggested. I was wondering what the Step 2 score of the person AOX4 is? I apologise.
I really want to know whether a good Step 2 score can buffer the effect of my poor Step 1 score.

Tone is such a difficult thing on forums. I tried to make it light with the 🙂

But you weren't being rude, and I wasn't offended! I simply wanted to make sure you realize that I'm NOT the guy with the epic story...
 
Thanks. I would still love to know opinions about the amount of help a good Step 2 score, USCE and a good Step 3 score can give to my poor Step 1 score in view of my residency application