Neurology resident needs help!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetsmiles9

neuron
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
:scared:
Hi,
I am a neurology PGY 2 and seem to be struggling with neuroanatomy, neuroradiology and sometimes even the basic pathophysiology of neurologic diseases.
Even after reading a topic I cant seem to retain it. I feel like the worst resident ever, since I'm always fumbling for answers. I was a good med student so this sudden loss of brain function is distressing.
I find myself overwhelmed even looking at Adam and Victor's.
My program stresses heavily on knowing EEG and EMG, and that adds to my woes since I still cannot read EEGs and keep forgetting the anatomy required for EMG. I know I appear to be a sorry sight.
I need to get my basics squared and I think I might learn better from audio or video lectures. I'm desperately trying to find audio, video lectures in neuroanatomy either online or on cd/dvds. A friend suggested starting with Kaplan neuroanatomy videos. I cannot find them online, neither can i find any other neuroanatomy lectures.Any insight into my dilemma or any other suggestions, please let me know.Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
:scared:
Hi,
I am a neurology PGY 2 and seem to be struggling with neuroanatomy, neuroradiology and sometimes even the basic pathophysiology of neurologic diseases.
Even after reading a topic I cant seem to retain it. I feel like the worst resident ever, since I'm always fumbling for answers. I was a good med student so this sudden loss of brain function is distressing.
I find myself overwhelmed even looking at Adam and Victor's.
My program stresses heavily on knowing EEG and EMG, and that adds to my woes since I still cannot read EEGs and keep forgetting the anatomy required for EMG. I know I appear to be a sorry sight.
I need to get my basics squared and I think I might learn better from audio or video lectures. I'm desperately trying to find audio, video lectures in neuroanatomy either online or on cd/dvds. A friend suggested starting with Kaplan neuroanatomy videos. I cannot find them online, neither can i find any other neuroanatomy lectures.Any insight into my dilemma or any other suggestions, please let me know.Thanks.

Neurology is a pretty specialized field, which I think requires a different approach than studying for boards or even neuroanatomy as a medical student. After graduating medical schools and getting through the boards, my best sources of information are journals, and specialized textbooks.

I would utilize any electronic subscriptions you have an read a journal article on EMG or EEG. Reading a 10-page article on a new EMG technique will cement the knowledge better. Get a good EMG textbook, one that is not too long and detailed and use it to look up what you don't know, and if you have time, read through a chapter once a week.

Best source of knowledge would be to ask an epiletologist what he/she read to learn EEGs, then go get this book and read bit by bit.

If you read 1-2 journal articles a day, and 10-20 pages of a good specialized neurology text you should be OK. I absolutely HATED Adams and Victor which I used in medical school, It is not an easy text. I highly recommend the two Lange books, I think they were called Clinical Neurology and there is one that combines neuroscience/neurology, Current Diagnosis and Treatment in Neurology Lange is golden compared to Adams and Victor which is garbage in my opinion.

Google Neurology audiobook or under music on amazon and see what pops up. There are a lot of audio resources out there if you look for them. I would go beyond what Kaplan teaches for Step 2 or 3 though . . .

Last edited:
I fully agree with above. Great post and advise to follow.