Neurology vs Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Juliauyihjlkja

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a IMG with very low score but very good research background in neurology! I had several research grant in neurology, ... in terms of applying for residency, do I have more chances of matching in neuro or radio?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am a IMG with very low score but very good research background in neurology! I had several research grant in neurology, ... in terms of applying for residency, do I have more chances of matching in neuro or radio?
Probably need to know more about your background. Stuff like your USMLE Step 1/2CK scores, if you had any USCE, LORs from US physicians, etc.

Also those are two pretty different fields. Do you really like both equally? How far along are you in med school? Have you done rotations in both?

Probably need to know more about your background. Stuff like your USMLE Step 1/2CK scores, if you had any USCE, LORs from US physicians, etc.

Also those are two pretty different fields. Do you really like both equally? How far along are you in med school? Have you done rotations in both?
I finished MD 4 years ago as IMG, I have done 3 month observership in 3 different US hospital and have LOR from them, I failed ck once, and have low score in step 1, passed cs first attempt, been working as researcher in US for 2 years!
with my failed attempt in ck all I want is to match, no matter where

Radiology is much more competitive than neuro. I would focus on categorical neuro spots.
Thanks I applied to all neurology programs advanced and categorical and 100 PGY-1 medicine prelim, what else I can do, even getting a prelim in match will expose me to us clinical hands on experience and could help for next year attempt

I finished MD 4 years ago as IMG, I have done 3 month observership in 3 different US hospital and have LOR from them, I failed ck once, and have low score in step 1, passed cs first attempt, been working as researcher in US for 2 years!
with my failed attempt in ck all I want is to match, no matter where
Would you be willing to consider other less competitive specialties than even neuro? If so, FM could be a good choice.

Thanks I applied to all neurology programs advanced and categorical and 100 PGY-1 medicine prelim, what else I can do, even getting a prelim in match will expose me to us clinical hands on experience and could help for next year attempt
Medicine prelims are actually somewhat competitive since competitive specialties like rads need to do a prelim year.

Medicine prelims are actually somewhat competitive since competitive specialties like rads need to do a prelim year.
What should I do? I need to have at least one year clinical experience to gain chance for second year attempt in match

I have heard that FM needs more recent graduation

A significant amount of time since graduation (4 years) is not ideal for applying into residency since medicine can change so much and quite rapidly, but at least you have kept up with doing research and clinical rotations. Many programs across the board will not interview you, but some may still show interest.

Radiology is completely out of the question, to be honest. It's very competitive, and it's not clear why you are interested in that field. You are best hoping for the best with Neurology and FM. I would hit up the FM forum for advice of programs that have a history of taking IMGs with significant time from graduation.

Reactions: 1 users
A significant amount of time since graduation (4 years) is not ideal for applying into residency since medicine can change so much and quite rapidly, but at least you have kept up with doing research and clinical rotations. Many programs across the board will not interview you, but some may still show interest.

Radiology is completely out of the question, to be honest. It's very competitive, and it's not clear why you are interested in that field. You are best hoping for the best with Neurology and FM. I would hit up the FM forum for advice of programs that have a history of taking IMGs with significant time from graduation.
I forgot to mention I have green cart, do you think it might help me for neurology?

Do I might have any chance for Child Neurology?

A Green Card makes you more competitive for everything -- as you will not need a visa. So that's good

Child Neuro tends to be more competitive, as there are many fewer spots.

Reactions: 1 user