Neurology with Failed Level II PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DONeuro035

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an OMS-IV applying to neurology. I got a 222 on my step 1 and a 525 on Level 1 but somehow failed my Level II PE. I have been trying to retake the test for months but as many of you know it keeps getting cancelled and moved back. With my current exam date I wont even get a score back before programs rank students. I have taken my Level II CE but don't have a score back.
I know I will be applying very broadly but does anyone think programs will understand the situation? I am applying to community IM but to be honest I would be miserable not going into neuro.

Members don't see this ad.

you’ll be fine.

last year a friend of mine was in your position and he matched just fine

Members don't see this ad :)
I have two personal statements, One of which addresses it the other doesn't. I am going to send both to some people at my school for their opinions.

I wouldn’t address this in your PS. No reason to highlight a weakness. If they ask during the interview, be prepared to give a good explanation

I wouldn’t address this in your PS. No reason to highlight a weakness. If they ask during the interview, be prepared to give a good explanation
can you speak on this? any experience with classmates or reviewing candidates with a failed PE and share which domain i failed (i.e. humanistic vs data gathering vs SOAP vs OMM). i think the rationale from my school was "we can reason why you failed data gathering - because you took it too early in the year. harder to explain around the humanistic fail"

I have a colleague who failed PE. Didn’t mention it in the PS. He is went on a dozen of good interviews and it was never bought up. Matched. This was last year.

The year before, same **** happened to one of my best friends. Same thing. He didn’t mention it. Still interviewed and matched a university program in CA. Though this was IM.

PS is supposed to highlight your “passion” towards the field and what let you to choose it. Also it’s a place to talk about what you envision doing in the field. It’s not meant to be a transcript or a CV. Besides, why would you give them an easy reason to reject your application before they even get to meet you?

Reactions: 5 users
Neurology matched someone who failed Step 2 CK this past cycle. They also had a handful of spots open after match day.

Youll be fine.

I have a colleague who failed PE. Didn’t mention it in the PS. He is went on a dozen of good interviews and it was never bought up. Matched. This was last year.

The year before, same **** happened to one of my best friends. Same thing. He didn’t mention it. Still interviewed and matched a university program in CA. Though this was IM.

PS is supposed to highlight your “passion” towards the field and what let you to choose it. Also it’s a place to talk about what you envision doing in the field. It’s not meant to be a transcript or a CV. Besides, why would you give them an easy reason to reject your application before they even get to meet you?
i guess one thing that would be helpful to know is if you're friend failed and passed their retake pre-eras, or failed after apps were already submitted. those are a little different scenarios.

I know student doctor often is known for being toxic but this thread has made me feel so much better. I know it will be hard but not panicking about it has allowed me to work a lot harder and create a better application. Thank you to everyone who commente.