Failed Level 1, passed. Can I still apply neurology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wavesofwoodenlegs

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone get into neurology with a Level 1 fail? Should I take comlex 2, then step 2, and then cram in step 1 to try to show I’m capable?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Near the end of third

Near the end of third year, still have a few more rotations left before dedicated for comlex 2/step 2

I think you need to evaluate the risk vs benefits of taking step. Very unlikely that someone fails complex but passes step without some sort of grueling and self disciplined study period.

Very do-able. Be prepared to be in the middle of no where or in a low tier program (historically workhorse or brand spanking new).

Be honest with yourself: if your personality and actual work performance are better than your scores, do audition rotations at in-range programs that you WANT to be at. If not, do aways at other institutions. Maybe mid to low ranges to be able to signal a clear interest in neuro and get decent letters.

There are a lot of good programs that are willing to overlook very poor scores for demonstrated interest.

Reactions: 1 user