neuropathology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abacus1050

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can a neurologist interested in research do a fellowship in np? I would be interested in having access to the tissue and being more skillful in analyzing it.

Members don't see this ad.

pathstudent said:

HUH? Way to talk right out of your ass...Now unless someone is about to feed a HUGE ass slice of humble pie:
9. Neuropathology

a. For applicants who are certified in anatomic pathology and clinical pathology or anatomic pathology only: two full years of additional training in neuropathology in a program accredited for such training by the ACGME.

b. For applicants who are certified in clinical pathology or are certified by another member medical specialty board of the ABMS:

(1) One full year of approved training in anatomic pathology in a program accredited for such training by the ACGME and

(2) Two full years of additional training in neuropathology in a program accredited for such training by the ACGME.

You must be AP (then its 2 years) or CP (then its 3!! years long) boarded. Now someone may be able attend NP sign outs BUT you cant any sort of accredited fellowship. The very LEAST Ive ever heard of someone having was 1 year of AP before they started the fellowship. So technically a neurologist could do it, but they would essentially be doing a 2nd residency in Path. I will say, from my exprience this is UNHEARD OF.

Now Hemepath is different note the wording:
6. Hematology

a. For applicants who hold any primary certificate in pathology or have a primary certificate plus a subspecialty certificate in hematology from another member medical specialty board of the ABMS: one full year of additional training in hematology (pathology) in a program accredited for such training by the ACGME.

b. For applicants, other than those described in 6a, who are certified by another member medical specialty board of the ABMS: two years of full time training in hematology (pathology) including one year as a trainee in a program accredited for such training by the ACGME and one additional year in hematology acceptable to the ABP. ABP approval for the additional year should be obtained before the individual begins the additional year.

http://www.abpath.org/ReqForCert.htm#NP

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response!

Abacus1050 said:
Thank you for your response!

Your welcome.

I would guess about 0.0012% of all SDN posters actually know what they are talking about and another 2-5% stumble onto the truth by dumb luck. Such is the internet age!

LADoc00 said:
Your welcome.

I would guess about 0.0012% of all SDN posters actually know what they are talking about and another 2-5% stumble onto the truth by dumb luck. Such is the internet age!
Well it's good to have people like you on SDN who have experience and tell it the way it is.

AndyMilonakis said:
Well it's good to have people like you on SDN who have experience and tell it the way it is.

Andy! you have become scarce these days, it must be the daily beating administered by Fletcher. The whips crack hard on Francis street.(catchy phrase I must say..) I would advise an occasional escape trip to Au Bon Pain downstairs...or better yet to BID's Starbucks.

LADoc00 said:
Your welcome.

At my med school there was a neuropathologist who did a fellowship after neuro residency. I guess the rules have changed. My bad. But there was also a pathology instructor who was board certified in path, but never did a path residency. He did Int Med. THings must have been more loosey-goosey in previous years (70s/80s).

LADoc00 said:
Andy! you have become scarce these days, it must be the daily beating administered by Fletcher. The whips crack hard on Francis street.(catchy phrase I must say..) I would advise an occasional escape trip to Au Bon Pain downstairs...or better yet to BID's Starbucks.
Sup man...yeah I've been scarce because (a) I don't check this site much; and (b) my anonymity is blown. I'm being watched.

Life's been pretty chill these days though...faster, more efficient, and getting out at good hours...nothing really to complain about.

ABP is a ripoff. Everything is overpriced. Not a big fan. Just go there to get coffee in the mornings.

Starbucks is worse...but more eye candy there :)