neuropsychiatry residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

St. Francis Fan

WVSOM Class of 2007
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was planning on going into PM&R but I recently discovered neuropsychiatry and this may be a better fit for me---I'm not sure. The program is six years and is dually accredited neuro/psych. Is anyone else interested in this field or a current resident in a program like this? If so, I would love to hear about your experience in the field or what the clinical practice of neurophychiatrist is like. What is the difference between behavioral neurology and neuropsychiatry? I know that these are very broad questions-- I really just want to hear from someone out there who is passionate about the field and could give me some insight. Thank you.
 
You can do a residency in either neurology or psychiatry, and then go do fellowship in neurobehavior or cognitive neurology. Yes, still long training, but no need to go out and get double board certified in two areas to do this, unless you really want to of course.
 
I had considered this path for a little while and my neurology attending suggested that it wasn't all that useful to be double boarded because ultimately you need to pick which one to focus on. Like the previous person posted you can do a neuro residency and then do a behavioral type fellowship. Or, I have seen a psychiatrist really concentrate on neuro-related/type cases.
Obviously, a personal decision but that is what advice was given to me. There is a lot of overlap already - you can embrace the overlap or ignore it.
 
This sounds like a good path to take. As someone with training in both neurology and psychiatry you will be able to address and treat both conditions in patients who will present with both neurologic and psychiatric problems. You can therefore expand the population of patients you are treating. Getting double boarded in Neuro and Psych won't be too difficult since both are written by the same people. You will also be very marketable since you will be unique among your peers and therefore will have dibs on really competitive jobs. As you can tell I am defintely considering this path.