Neuropsychology Private Practice Percentage Split

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What is a typical percentage income split for a pediatric neuropsychologist in a private practice?

• 50-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 60-40

• 70-30

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other

• Total voters

ilovedance1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the typical percentage split when joining a group neuropsychology practice? I have heard numbers such as 60%/40% and 70%/30%. I recently interviewed for a position that has a 50-50 split. They provide office space, furniture, testing materials and protocols, admin support, and send you their overflow cases. They also help you figure out how to market yourself. There are no benefits and you have to pay an additional hourly rate if you want psychometrist support. Is this typical? Or should I be shooting for the 60/40 or 70/30 rates that I have heard about most frequently?

I am also concerned about the number of cases I would be expected to see. All of the medical centers I have been in so far expect you to complete 2-3 full pediatric evaluations a week plus a multidisciplinary clinic (2 without psychometrist support, 3 with support). I have also spoken to people in private practice in my current city who are salaried, complete 2 evaluations each week, and make around $100k. The expectation at this practice is to complete 4-5 evaluations each week in order to make about $100k. What is typical for pediatric neuropsychologists in private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not pediatric, but from the adult side of things, I would say that 4-5 (outpatient) evals per week is fairly standard. I do this without psychometrist support, for example. The adult evals may not be quite as long as pediatric evals, though.

I of course know people who do less, and a few people who do more (although generally with testing support).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not pediatric, but from the adult side of things, I would say that 4-5 (outpatient) evals per week is fairly standard. I do this without psychometrist support, for example. The adult evals may not be quite as long as pediatric evals, though.

I of course know people who do less, and a few people who do more (although generally with testing support).

Ditto. I do 4 full evals without testing support, and the occasional briefer inpt battery. Very doable, I work 40 or fewer hours a week most weeks. To the OP, are you getting percentage of what is billed or collected? What is the payor mix, (insurance/medicare, Medicaid) because this can HUGELY affect collections? I'd want to chart all of this out. What is your total compensation going to look like? To make up for lack of benefits, you need to be probably at least taking in the 120-130k range to match what you you'd be getting in some hospital settings.

What is the typical percentage split when joining a group neuropsychology practice? I have heard numbers such as 60%/40% and 70%/30%. I recently interviewed for a position that has a 50-50 split. They provide office space, furniture, testing materials and protocols, admin support, and send you their overflow cases. They also help you figure out how to market yourself. There are no benefits and you have to pay an additional hourly rate if you want psychometrist support. Is this typical? Or should I be shooting for the 60/40 or 70/30 rates that I have heard about most frequently?

I am also concerned about the number of cases I would be expected to see. All of the medical centers I have been in so far expect you to complete 2-3 full pediatric evaluations a week plus a multidisciplinary clinic (2 without psychometrist support, 3 with support). I have also spoken to people in private practice in my current city who are salaried, complete 2 evaluations each week, and make around $100k. The expectation at this practice is to complete 4-5 evaluations each week in order to make about $100k. What is typical for pediatric neuropsychologists in private practice?

Shorten your battery if you dont think thats doable? I think 4 was the standard at my former VA?

Ditto. I do 4 full evals without testing support, and the occasional briefer inpt battery. Very doable, I work 40 or fewer hours a week most weeks. To the OP, are you getting percentage of what is billed or collected? What is the payor mix, (insurance/medicare, Medicaid) because this can HUGELY affect collections? I'd want to chart all of this out. What is your total compensation going to look like? To make up for lack of benefits, you need to be probably at least taking in the 120-130k range to match what you you'd be getting in some hospital settings.

Thanks for the info. I think this 120-130k number is what I really need to be able to compare apples to apples. It is difficult to figure out how much things like conferences, CEs, professional development budgets, insurance, retirement, etc add to your total salary in the long run.

Also they primarily do private pay, but I could take insurance if I wanted to. From the sounds of things, I would be my own private business who is basically paying for these additional services (materials, admin support, etc). I'll definitely ask some of these questions.

Thanks for the info. I think this 120-130k number is what I really need to be able to compare apples to apples. It is difficult to figure out how much things like conferences, CEs, professional development budgets, insurance, retirement, etc add to your total salary in the long run.

Actually, this is the easy part. I can calculate these exact numbers for my position. And, with that, I can provide an exact compensation. salary + benefits for what I do.

Also they primarily do private pay, but I could take insurance if I wanted to. From the sounds of things, I would be my own private business who is basically paying for these additional services (materials, admin support, etc). I'll definitely ask some of these questions.

I'm a peds person, and four evals per week is a lot. Our evaluations and reports tend to be longer than adult folks', though it depends on the referral question and setting.

If you're seeing a lot of private pay patients, I'd expect some educational testing and somewhat demanding families... meaning that the expectation of four reports per week might be unsustainable.

I'm a peds person, and four evals per week is a lot. Our evaluations and reports tend to be longer than adult folks', though it depends on the referral question and setting.

If you're seeing a lot of private pay patients, I'd expect some educational testing and somewhat demanding families... meaning that the expectation of four reports per week might be unsustainable.

This is what I was worried about. I've never seen peds people doing more than 3 full evaluations a week. And they were saying 4-5 evaluations. I was most curious about the typical percentage split for income. Does anybody know more about that part of things?