Neurorehabilitation, neurology, and regenerative medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callosum

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for opinions/thoughts/evidence for regenerative medicine with SCI, TBI, and stroke. For example, the use of PRP, scaffold proteins, bioengineering of polymer templates for healing, enzymes, bone marrow aspirate concentrate, and other approaches.

Does this seem like something that will be relevant in the next five, ten, or twenty years? I have heard vague answers that say no, looking for specific discussions about the literature and progress made/limitations

I am new to SDN, and I apologize if this post should be posted elsewhere, but this seemed like an appropriate place. Please let me know if there is a better spot.

Below are some examples of the research and applications I am interested in. I would also appreciate any recommendations on what specialties and fellowships would give me the greatest exposure to this area of medicine. I have gravitated towards PMR, but I am also considering neurology. Thank you

View attachment 319275

View attachment 319273

View attachment 319272

View attachment 319271

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
just my 2 c as a medical student (not even a resident yet), but PRP and stem cells are already in limited use. Any of these other technologies will certainly be at minimum 10 y until clinically relevant. Whether any of these will be game changers remains to be seen.

Hello,

I have been working in occupational therapy for the past eight years (mostly stroke, SCI, and TBI) and I am now applying to medical school with strong interest in PMR and neuro-rehabilitation. I was hoping to hear your opinions/thoughts on applications and advances of regenerative medicine with SCI, TBI, and stroke. For example, the use of PRP, stem cells, scaffold proteins, bioengineering of polymer templates for healing, enzymes, and other approaches.

Does this seem like something that will be relevant in the next five, ten, or twenty years? I have heard vague answers that say no, looking for specific discussions about the literature and progress made/limitations

I am new to SDN, and I apologize if this post should be posted elsewhere, but this seemed like an appropriate place. Please let me know if there is a better spot.

Below are some examples of the research and applications I am interested in. I would also appreciate any recommendations on what specialties and fellowships would give me the greatest exposure to this area of medicine. I have gravitated towards PMR, but I am also considering neurology. Thank you

View attachment 319275

View attachment 319273

View attachment 319272

View attachment 319271

While there are exceptions, academic Neurology departments tend to be where most of this sort of research is grounded. Would think about neurology residency if you are interested in this area, as it could potentially give you more knowledge of clinical neuroscience and hence tools to bring these sorts of therapies to reality.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
just my 2 c as a medical student (not even a resident yet), but PRP and stem cells are already in limited use. Any of these other technologies will certainly be at minimum 10 y until clinically relevant. Whether any of these will be game changers remains to be seen.

Thanks for the feedback. I read through a thread on interventional pain and regenerative medicine where they discussed quite a few applications that clinicians are currently using.

Adding Regenerative medicine to your practice.

I'm more interested in the neuro side, seems to be a real hit or miss though most academic institutions have some sort of department working on this to stay ahead of the curve.

While there are exceptions, academic Neurology departments tend to be where most of this sort of research is grounded. Would think about neurology residency if you are interested in this area, as it could potentially give you more knowledge of clinical neuroscience and hence tools to bring these sorts of therapies to reality.

any thoughts on PMR? Dr. Pablo Celnik @ Hopkins has invested a lot of time with TMS and rehabilitation, then again, he also did a neurology residency and then PMR after that.

any thoughts on PMR? Dr. Pablo Celnik @ Hopkins has invested a lot of time with TMS and rehabilitation, then again, he also did a neurology residency and then PMR after that.

There are definitely pathways to research via PM&R. Would encourage you to talk with faculty in both fields to get a sense of what best matches your clinical and research interests.

Reactions: 1 user