Neuroscience and PharmD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triplerox

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a passion for both fields. My future goal is to be a pharmacist/researcher. But i'd like to research in the field of neuroscience. How should i accomplish this? Will joint PharmD/PhD help?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, i have a passion for both fields. My future goal is to be a pharmacist/researcher. But i'd like to research in the field of neuroscience. How should i accomplish this? Will joint PharmD/PhD help?

Major research into crossing the blood brain barrier is an easy connection between the two. Also the possible design of medications to heal CNS damage, clinical trials on drugs to treat neurological prblems (MS, depression, etc)

I think a Ph.D/Pharm. D sounds good. With a PH. D you can focus on the neuroscience stuff that you like

Members don't see this ad :)
PharmD/MS in clinical research will do or any PharmD/MS is the best way. you only need one more year after the PharmD to get the MS but with the pharmD/PhD you need 7 years

I agree with the above poster, any PharmD/MS route. All I know is, that I took a Neuroscience class and it KICKED MY BUTT, I have no idea how I got a B, I would've been happy with a C! That class was harder than Organic.

Hi! I did neuroscience undergrad, now I'm in pharmacy school. I suggest if you are still in undergrad, get involved in a lab working on drug effects on the neurological system. When you get to pharmacy school,look for a professor who is working in an area you are interested in and do a special project with him/her. Most pharmacy schools have someone who is interested in some aspect of neurology/CNS systems.

Goodluck!

I'm very interested in Neuro and pharmacy, particularly in researching new drugs that can stimulate the regrowth of nerve cells. Due to spinal cord injury, I'm a paraplegic, so a break thru in this area would be a miracle for me and the many people in my situation.

I agree with the above poster, any PharmD/MS route. All I know is, that I took a Neuroscience class and it KICKED MY BUTT, I have no idea how I got a B, I would've been happy with a C! That class was harder than Organic.

Thats what people told me too! from what i hear, neuroscience is quite intense! but its not going to stop me from pursuing it! as far as pharmd/ms go, is it going to be a difference between it and pharmd/phd? Besides the extra years of studying.