Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Neuroscience Masters?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by underfire451, Jan 12, 2018.

1. underfire451

Psychology Student
    I'm a psychology undergrad with an emphasis in neuroscience and I want to pursue a Ph.D. in clinical neuropsychology, though currently I'm looking at various masters programs to help me eventually get into a program. I'm having a hard time finding a solid research psychology masters, so I began wondering, would a masters in neuroscience also provide the research I need? I may be completely off, I just wanted to check

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Kadhir

2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    A lot of these tend to be in more basic (vs. clinical) research, which isn't necessarily irrelevant, but less ideal given the skillset they're looking for in clinical psychology programs.

But your best bet is to get an RA job in a neuropsychology lab. Not only is the work most apposite, you'll make connections with actual neuropsychologists, which could help you during admissions and beyond. Also, you'll be making a bit of money, likely more than your future graduate stipend... :/

underfire451 likes this.
  4. underfire451

Psychology Student
    Thank you! This really helps clarify things. I've been leaning towards the RA route, especially with the "I can be paid" vs "I have to pay you."