Neurosurg DO/MD residency questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zan3310

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my questions:

Since I want to maintain my DO certification/AOA backing, I am planning on doing a traditional year internship and then applying to DO and MD neurosurgery residencies. My question is 1) is there any way to have the AOA approve the first year of an MD residency (when the MD 1st year doesn't include family, peds, etc) and 2) will MD residencies take a PGY2?

My thought is to apply to DO NS residencies along with my traditional year and if I don't match, the following year apply to both MD and DO programs as either a PGY2 or PGY1 (and repeat the first year), assuming the SFMatch and DO match aren't on the same day. Does anyone have any suggestions or am I going about this the wrong way?

Thank you for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

1) Usually the AOA does not approve the first year of an MD residency but things have changed recently so I would check with them.

2) An MD neurosurgery residency will not accept an osteopathic internship as year one. You would have to repeat the year.

A lot of the DO neurosurgery programs are going to the dual match now. That is you will be accepted for both the internship and residency during your fourth year.

I hope this clears some things up for you. The bottom line is things are always changing so you have to keep ahead of the game. You can check out our programs web site for more info. www.providence-hospital.org

Ryan Barrett, D.O.
Neurosurgery Resident, PGY-III
Providence Hospital and Medical Centers
Southfield, MI

Thanks Ryan- I appreciate the advice. Unfortunately my school doesn't do much to help prepare us for the match, especially if you are specializing. Hopefully I will be able to match in the AOA, so I don't have to repeat a year... but then again, in a 6 to 7 year residency, one extra year doesn't seem that bad.

Thanks again!