neurosurg esi

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsaul

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a neurosurg that does alot of pain procedures at the same facility as me. the nurse told me that he uses local with epi for local skin anesthesia. But now he is using the same local with epi in his steroid mix for his esi's. Mind you this guy has had several complications in the past several months including stroke after cervical tf esi. several wet taps, and some other kind of cervical injury.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a neurosurg that does alot of pain procedures at the same facility as me. the nurse told me that he uses local with epi for local skin anesthesia. But now he is using the same local with epi in his steroid mix for his esi's. Mind you this guy has had several complications in the past several months including stroke after cervical tf esi. several wet taps, and some other kind of cervical injury.

Congratulate him for being "dick of the week".

If his complications are that bad after "conservative" treatment, I wonder how his surgical outcomes are?

Members don't see this ad :)
what about him wanting to put in local plus epi with all the steroid mixes

what about him wanting to put in local plus epi with all the steroid mixes

Sounds like a good way to vasoconstrict things like arteries that go to important structures like a nerve, spinal cord or brain.

Also should not be injected near other structures with tenuous blood supply without collaterals like the fingers, toes, penis, ears and nose.

Sounds like a good way to vasoconstrict things like arteries that go to important structures like a nerve, spinal cord or brain.

Also should not be injected near other structures with tenuous blood supply without collaterals like the fingers, toes, penis, ears and nose.

exactly and when I complained to med director after I got wind of this from the concerned nurse- the med director turned a deaf ear to me

really no role for this in chronic pain management.

sounds like he learned how to do an epidural from an anesthesiologist, and uses local with epi to help confirm not vascular and prolong block, like test dose for a labor epidural.

if the guy is reasonable (toss up in the spine surgery domain), just take him aside and gently explain why what he is doing is wrong. that way you at least know you are trying to avoid a catastrophe and help his patients. if he's an unapproachable a-hole, theres not much you can do.