Neurosurgery Pre-Residency Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nsgaddict

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I applied for the 2018 NSG match and unfortunately did not match. I am now looking for pre-residency Neurosurgery Fellowships. Since most of them are not widely advertised, I would really appreciate any input regarding open positions that I can apply to.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!

I applied for the 2018 NSG match and unfortunately did not match. I am now looking for pre-residency Neurosurgery Fellowships. Since most of them are not widely advertised, I would really appreciate any input regarding open positions that I can apply to.

Thank you!

You aren't asking for advice specifically, but be honest with yourself here - do you think such a thing would help you match next year? What are your stats, are you a US MD grad (anything else will make your attempt to break into the specialty very difficult) and did you have many interviews this year?

Your use of the world "fellowship" is similar to how an IMG would use it, and I would be wary about it. You are probably looking for post-doctoral research positions. With ERAS re-opening in September you would only have 2-3 months of research under you belt (assuming a July start) which isn't enough time to have any publications or likely even posters to show for your work. You'd need at least a year, which would add time since graduation to your application which would be a big drag as well.

My advice to you - if you are in the US, sit down with your advisor (hopefully a neurosurgeon) and have an honest and open discussion about your application and your realistic shot at matching into neurosurgery. I would also strongly consider seeking out a position in SOAP. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user