Neurosurgery Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nicholasleonard12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I will be a 16 year old Freshman at LeTourneau University in Texas this Fall majoring in Biology/ Chemistry. I have wanted to become a neurosurgeon since I can remember, but the University that I will attend is not an Ivy-league or top 20 school. My goal is to attend Baylor Medical School after college, but will my undergraduate school have an affect on my residency options? I know that Neurosurgery is one of the most competitive specialties, but what would you say my chances are, best-case scenario?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

will my undergraduate school have an affect on my residency options?

No. Worry about doing well in undergrad and being a competitive med school applicant, you're way too young/early in the journey to be worried about a possible specialty.

Reactions: 10 users
There are host of things that will interfere with your dream to be a neurosurgeon. Your undergrad institution is not one of them. Just take one step at a time, and do well on each step (metaphorically and literally ---do well on your steps in med school).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
what would you say my chances are, best-case scenario?

Dude neurosurgery programs only interview medical students who did undergrad at HYP type places, regardless of medical school... With your school I would aim more for family medicine in one of the Dakotas.

Chill. Forget about specialties and focus on getting through gen chem 1.

And for your info, getting into any specialty is directly correlated to how hard you work IN medical school, any medical school. Can't do anything if you never get there, so here we are back at gen chem 1..

The answer to this is the same as the answers that you got on this thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-top-20-medical-school.1213995/#post-17990195

Summary
1) Enjoy your undergrad years - do well in classes, volunteer during the school year, work or volunteer during the summer at a hospital, clinic or hospice, join clubs, go to sport events, tutor other students, join the choir, be social. In other words, be a college student.
2) Prep for the MCAT during sophomore year and/or after you've finished your pre-reqs.
3) Try to get a research position during your junior and/or senior years
4) Form good relationships with your professors - especially science professors - during your junior year.

Going to a small school is actually better (all other things being equal) than going to the huge flagship school. You'll form relationships with professors and others that will help you get into the best medical school that you can.

Dude neurosurgery programs only interview medical students who did undergrad at HYP type places, regardless of medical school... With your school I would aim more for family medicine in one of the Dakotas.

Chill. Forget about specialties and focus on getting through gen chem 1.

And for your info, getting into any specialty is directly correlated to how hard you work IN medical school, any medical school. Can't do anything if you never get there, so here we are back at gen chem 1..

Don't listen to this guy, he is trolling you.

Any riffraff can potentially get into HYP. I know real people in admission at those neurosurgery schools. They all told me that unless you have attended a high school built before the 1870s with a tuition at least 50k/year, forget about it.

Your medical school caliber influences more where you can match within a specialty rather than whether or not you can match a specialty at all. Don't worry just yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't listen to this guy, he is trolling you.

Any riffraff can potentially get into HYP. I know real people in admission at those neurosurgery schools. They all told me that unless you have attended a high school built before the 1870s with a tuition at least 50k/year, forget about it.

This right here is solid gold, I laughed so hard. 10/10

Focus on doing well in your college courses. As far as med school options, come back in 2.5-3+ years and we'll tell you whether you're likely or not to get into Baylor, or any school.

Hey guys,
I will be a 16 year old Freshman at LeTourneau University in Texas this Fall majoring in Biology/ Chemistry. I have wanted to become a neurosurgeon since I can remember, but the University that I will attend is not an Ivy-league or top 20 school. My goal is to attend Baylor Medical School after college, but will my undergraduate school have an affect on my residency options? I know that Neurosurgery is one of the most competitive specialties, but what would you say my chances are, best-case scenario?

Get good grades.

Hey guys,

Didn't you ask a very similar question a couple of weeks ago?

Just found it: posted on 7/28-Small College to Top 20( or something like that).
Calm down, enjoy college, get good grades, make friends, get involved and report back in 3-4 years after you take the MCAT and are ready to apply to med school. The undergrad school you go to will not
effect your your residency at all. That will be effected by how you do in med school. And that's on you and how you do in school and on your Boards and research etc... So just enjoy college. You are 16 be 16.
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Worried about specialties when you're 16 and are just beginning college. You're an over thinker like me. Calm down and get over the huge hurdle of undergrad before you worry about specialties.

You probably won't want to do NSG after you graduate undergrad and realize you have 11 more years

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys,

Did you also already select the nursing home for yourself?

Damn. When I was 16 my diet consisted mainly of Doritos and my day consisted of replaying the Metal Gear Solid saga over and over again. Didn't even know I wanted to go to med school.