Jul 28, 2016
Hey guys,
I will be a 16 year old Freshman at LeTourneau University in Texas this Fall majoring in Biology/ Chemistry. I have wanted to become a neurosurgeon since I can remember, but the University that I will attend is not an Ivy-league or top 20 school. My goal is to attend Baylor Medical School after college, but will my undergraduate school have an affect on my residency options? I know that Neurosurgery is one of the most competitive specialties, but what would you say my chances are, best-case scenario?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
what would you say my chances are, best-case scenario?
Dude neurosurgery programs only interview medical students who did undergrad at HYP type places, regardless of medical school... With your school I would aim more for family medicine in one of the Dakotas.

Chill. Forget about specialties and focus on getting through gen chem 1.

And for your info, getting into any specialty is directly correlated to how hard you work IN medical school, any medical school. Can't do anything if you never get there, so here we are back at gen chem 1..

precisiongraphic

2+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2015
Status
Non-Student
The answer to this is the same as the answers that you got on this thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/small-college-to-top-20-medical-school.1213995/#post-17990195

Summary
1) Enjoy your undergrad years - do well in classes, volunteer during the school year, work or volunteer during the summer at a hospital, clinic or hospice, join clubs, go to sport events, tutor other students, join the choir, be social. In other words, be a college student.
2) Prep for the MCAT during sophomore year and/or after you've finished your pre-reqs.
3) Try to get a research position during your junior and/or senior years
4) Form good relationships with your professors - especially science professors - during your junior year.

Going to a small school is actually better (all other things being equal) than going to the huge flagship school. You'll form relationships with professors and others that will help you get into the best medical school that you can.

wizzed101

The Little Prince
May 20, 2016
Dude neurosurgery programs only interview medical students who did undergrad at HYP type places, regardless of medical school... With your school I would aim more for family medicine in one of the Dakotas.

Chill. Forget about specialties and focus on getting through gen chem 1.

And for your info, getting into any specialty is directly correlated to how hard you work IN medical school, any medical school. Can't do anything if you never get there, so here we are back at gen chem 1..
Don't listen to this guy, he is trolling you.

Any riffraff can potentially get into HYP. I know real people in admission at those neurosurgery schools. They all told me that unless you have attended a high school built before the 1870s with a tuition at least 50k/year, forget about it.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
Mar 22, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Your medical school caliber influences more where you can match within a specialty rather than whether or not you can match a specialty at all. Don't worry just yet.

Reactions: GaStu1994

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
Don't listen to this guy, he is trolling you.

Any riffraff can potentially get into HYP. I know real people in admission at those neurosurgery schools. They all told me that unless you have attended a high school built before the 1870s with a tuition at least 50k/year, forget about it.
This right here is solid gold, I laughed so hard. 10/10

The_Bird

OvO
Bronze Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Focus on doing well in your college courses. As far as med school options, come back in 2.5-3+ years and we'll tell you whether you're likely or not to get into Baylor, or any school.

Reactions: GaStu1994

kennyram401

5+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys,
I will be a 16 year old Freshman at LeTourneau University in Texas this Fall majoring in Biology/ Chemistry. I have wanted to become a neurosurgeon since I can remember, but the University that I will attend is not an Ivy-league or top 20 school. My goal is to attend Baylor Medical School after college, but will my undergraduate school have an affect on my residency options? I know that Neurosurgery is one of the most competitive specialties, but what would you say my chances are, best-case scenario?

Get good grades.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
Hey guys,

Didn't you ask a very similar question a couple of weeks ago?

Just found it: posted on 7/28-Small College to Top 20( or something like that).
Calm down, enjoy college, get good grades, make friends, get involved and report back in 3-4 years after you take the MCAT and are ready to apply to med school. The undergrad school you go to will not
effect your your residency at all. That will be effected by how you do in med school. And that's on you and how you do in school and on your Boards and research etc... So just enjoy college. You are 16 be 16.
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
Worried about specialties when you're 16 and are just beginning college. You're an over thinker like me. Calm down and get over the huge hurdle of undergrad before you worry about specialties.

Pinocytosis

2+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2015
Status
Medical Student
I've always wondered how being so young when attending college and then applying to medical school looks to an adcom. I feel like their maturity/personality is viewed a little more in-depth.

Anyway, good luck OP. Worry about passing your driver's permit test rather than your Step 1. Enjoy being 16/an undergraduate. Adult-ing can be annoying.

Swish16

2+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2016
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
You probably won't want to do NSG after you graduate undergrad and realize you have 11 more years

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

sp4k

2+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2016
Hey guys,

Did you also already select the nursing home for yourself?

Reactions: Gurby

FindMeOnTheLinks

5+ Year Member
Jan 25, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
God it would suck to be in college at 16. You wouldn't be able to have any fun at all. Sorry OP. Just get good grades. No fun.

Kpw101

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Damn. When I was 16 my diet consisted mainly of Doritos and my day consisted of replaying the Metal Gear Solid saga over and over again. Didn't even know I wanted to go to med school.