Stony Brook vs Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BrainEnjoyer

Reaction score
Hello.

I would like some input on these two schools. Let’s say that the cost of attendance is equal and so is the cost of living (I only want to know about the merits of the schools and their programs). Which school would be better in terms of neurosurgical mentors, opportunities, and research? I am also interested in which (if either) you believe has the upper hand when it comes to giving students a better chance of securing a neurosurgical residency in an excellent program. I have a feeling that the choice here doesn’t really matter much and that my research, grades, and test scores will matter far more. Stony Brook seems to have higher average step scores. Even though most of the effort will be on my end, I was wondering if either school better sets their students up for competitive specialities with research and mentorship.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're certainly right that both schools will get you to where you want to go. There is no doubt about that. Both solid mid-tiers. If cost of attendence is not an issue for you as you say it is, I'd say stony might be better simply from the higher step scores (which possibly means either their faculty Is great at teaching or that their students are of slightly higher caliber). So in your case, it might be wise to go to the school that has that slight edge. What do you think?

I don't know which is better for your particular area of interest. Something to consider is where you want to do residency / practice. Stony Brook matches very well to NYC and New England. That might be one reason to lean toward (or away) from Stony Brook.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're certainly right that both schools will get you to where you want to go. There is no doubt about that. Both solid mid-tiers. If cost of attendence is not an issue for you as you say it is, I'd say stony might be better simply from the higher step scores (which possibly means either their faculty Is great at teaching or that their students are of slightly higher caliber). So in your case, it might be wise to go to the school that has that slight edge. What do you think?
I was thinking the same thing. It’s a tough choice because they’re very comparable schools with very similar neurosurgery resources. I’m a NYS resident, so I think Stony Brook would also be cheaper.

I don't know which is better for your particular area of interest. Something to consider is where you want to do residency / practice. Stony Brook matches very well to NYC and New England. That might be one reason to lean toward (or away) from Stony Brook.
I actually don’t have a strong preference for any region in terms of residency at the moment. I really just want to match into a good neurosurgical program. And there certainly are many good ones in the region. Let’s say I were to apply to residencies outside of the regions Stony Brook typically matches well to. Do you think the two schools would still open similar doors and that neither would be at much of an advantage over the other?

Yep, in fact let's put it this way... I bet you matching into neurosurgery depends significantly more on how well you perform in either med school than the notion that choosing say, Georgetown over stony brook, will increase your advantage of getting into neurosurgery. These 2 schools are both solid schools and there is not a large enough discernible difference that screams one advantage over the other. Since that's prob the case, it really depends on how well you do in school.

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer I was on the Georgetown waitlist but if ur choosing between in state at stony brook vs. GT I would for sure say stony brook. I think they would both set you up equally to match neuro and it’s gonna mainly be on you. Best of luck!