Neurosurgical information

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

genius19971995

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would like to apologize in advanced. I am not certain under which category this should be posted.

Alright, so I am interested in a neurosurgical career. There are no forums specifically about this so I figured I would ask.
Obviously, most PP make substantially more than a "hospitalist" or academic neurosurgeon. However, any idea what the salary would be for the top hospital- employed neurosurgeons? For example, how much would the salary for a neurosurgeon at a top hospital such as Johns Hopkins or Mayo Clinic be. Also, roughly how much would a department head such as the chief of neurosurgery make. My desire to pursue neurosurgery is not for fiscal reasons, but when making a career decision similar to this, it is a nice fact to know. So if anyone has any ideas, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

And no smart a** comments.
 
Something people don't understand about academic medicine is that while it may have a lower base salary, these numbers don't necessarily include significant productivity bonuses or compensation for call.
For example, one of my friends is an academic optho. His base salary is $185k, however... he has a productivity bonus. Apparently nobody in the group ever made less than twice base and after a year or so of establishing his practice he expected to make 3 times base like everyone else in the group. Does the academic salary still look bad?
Guaranteed $185 but really ~$370 first year (after several very bad months getting things off the ground) and then >$500.
Our neurosurgeons get $3000/night for call. They take >120 calls a year. Suddenly their crappy income is almost doubled. When I was in the military one neurosurgeon I worked with took call a few days a month for a civilian hospital. He got 3000 just to carry the pager and $5 or 6k if he had to come in. Just to cover 7p-7a. And yes, he did come in to personally evaluate every consult. 😉
Don't forget about generous benefits, retirement, etc. It all adds up.
Every shop is different, ymmv.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.