Neurosurgical Observationship

Started by endodoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

endodoc

Endocrinologist (MD, PhD)
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My brother in law has secured a Neurosurgical Observationship in one of NY's top medical centers for next year. He will finish his PhD prior to coming to the US. He is also studying for the boards (USMLE 1 & 2).

Does anyone have any advice you could five him in this field here in the United States, and what he can expect.

Thanks,
 
An observationship sounds pretty weak as there is no real clinical experience in observing. It may be a waste of time and money except perhaps to get a foot in the door to meet some clinical faculty.

I would suggest he attempt to get into a PhD program here in the United States or wait until he passes the boards to come the U.S. and get some real clinical experience.
 
mpp said:
An observationship sounds pretty weak as there is no real clinical experience in observing. It may be a waste of time and money except perhaps to get a foot in the door to meet some clinical faculty.

I would suggest he attempt to get into a PhD program here in the United States or wait until he passes the boards to come the U.S. and get some real clinical experience.
Hey, He will work in my hospital with me. I have talked with the CEO and he is secure. As far as PhD, he will be done with his PhD in December. I know its not a US PhD, but its a PhD, vs not having one coming into the states. From what I was told, he should have no worries. He is leaving his job on "leave," for US education, so from what I was told he will take part on some procedures.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello there
i am an IMG and very keen for observationship in neurosurgery.can you please tell where i can get all info about this.it will be very kind of you
 
neuralcrest said:
hello there
i am an IMG and very keen for observationship in neurosurgery.can you please tell where i can get all info about this.it will be very kind of you


A very obvious characteristic of IMGs :

when somebody says he/she has done something (like an observership or externship) and that he needs some advice or have a question, he gets this type of replies:

1st reply: I am an IMG and very interested in doing just the same as u did, would u plz tell me how u did it?

2nd reply: I am an IMG and I need to find a spot just like yours desperately, would u please email me at [email protected]?

Then all of a sudden, the thread is dead.

Don't get me wrong, I have done it myself (u can find a similar not-so-smart post by myself in the ophtho forum). It is just an observation.
 
hi there
i dont know how you comprehended that question
i am in dire need of help i saw that post and wanted to ask with someone who
had done it by himself.and about smartness.you are damn smart but lack finish.
 
neuralcrest said:
hi there
i dont know how you comprehended that question
i am in dire need of help i saw that post and wanted to ask with someone who
had done it by himself.and about smartness.you are damn smart but lack finish.


I think something's lost in translation here...
 
I am not sure what the other folks are talking about.. If you know any MD's / residents talk to them. They can talk with the PD and see if they can work something out. It is hard to get due to insur. issues, and they are not real happy to have you in the OR if you are not a MD, and even as a MD you still pose some risk to them.

I was able to get this for my brother due to politics.... so really it comes down to who you know.