Never-ending Stress

Hillo

I gotta stop
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here think about how depressed you'll be once you're in professional school?
And about how sleepy you'll be?

Like I think about these things almost EVERY HOUR I'm awake.

I feel crazy and terrible about how I'm always behind academically, socially, AND spiritually.
Or maybe it's just me.

Most likely after the whole ride's over (~10 more years), I'll come out as a fugly cougar with the same 9-year-old mind.
And I'll lose the pleasure in doing things I enjoy.

I remember a professor told us the week before the final exam, "Why the sad faces? This is the best time of your lives."
Could someone please give me a detailed explanation of why she's right?

Thanks - just had to get this rant off my chest.

I'm actually interested in what motivates you guys (personal and sincere insights please).

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You're in high school. Instead of thinking about future regrets (a strange oxymoron, if I ever heard of one), think about achieving your dreams and pursuing what you wish to do in your life, whether it's a career, a college, an event you wish to partake in, etc.

If you truly love dentistry (I'm assuming you're still interested in that based upon your profile), those 10 years will be 10 years of paradise--you learn what you love to get a career and lifestyle you love. And perhaps for a unselfish reason you love. If not, there's no reason to consider the profession at all.

Your professor is wrong. The best time of your life is the week after the exams--definitely not before when you're cramming for them.

All joking aside, if you live life as if it is a series of events--hoops that must be jumped through--you'll hate it. If you see life as only a means to an end and that end doesn't live up to your expectations, you'll end up depressed. Life is a journey that should be satiated instead of steps to be taken to get to some arbitrary destination.

Seriously. Go outside or something. :)

I wish I could give you good advice. My high schooling experience has been atypical so I can't really comment. I don't really know anything about most people's school stress and I if I were compared to most high schoolers, I wouldn't be at the top of my class.

All I can say is that you're only behind if you put your goals way ahead of you. Sometimes it's okay to be average. There's a point between loosening up in order to reduce stress and loosening up so much that you lose your grip and stop trying. That's what you should try to find.

Oh, and try not to think about the future too much. I do it too. It's just another way of putting your goals too far ahead. All of this is easier said than done, and nothing I or anyone says can really help you. You have to find your own answers... D:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is something you should be talking your friends about face-to-face, in real life. You have peers who are going through the same thing and have the same questions and doubts in life. It may help put things into perspective to see where others around you stand and how they keep things straight.

Can't expect answers to lifes big-picture problems/struggles on online forums. Every situation/scenario is a unique one.

Does anyone here think about how depressed you'll be once you're in professional school?

I feel crazy and terrible about how I'm always behind academically, socially, AND spiritually.
Or maybe it's just me.

Most likely after the whole ride's over (~10 more years), I'll come out as a fugly cougar with the same 9-year-old mind.

I remember a professor told us the week before the final exam, "Why the sad faces? This is the best time of your lives."

I'm actually interested in what motivates you guys (personal and sincere insights please).

Whoa. Take it easy.

I graduate from medical school in seven weeks or so. From ~9th grade to now, things only got more complicated, not less. And sure as can be, residency will be tougher than medical school was, which itself made college look like a walk in the park. But I made it through.

You don't know what anything ahead of you will be like for you because you aren't there yet, and to predict and preemptively worry about it is as unproductive as it gets. You've just got to assume that you'll get through it just fine. Lord knows how many people went down your road to and through dental school before you did. Even more will do it after you. You're going to be okay, so you might as well enjoy the ride.

Live in the moment. You're not even in college yet. Enjoy high school. What you do in high school won't have many repercussions later in life (unless you get arrested). Have fun. Stop worrying about something that you won't need to worry about for another 5 years.

Or maybe it's just me.

Honestly, I'm not worried. Not right now at least. Right now I'm still focused on the stress and depression of High school

Just keep your head up. If you can apply your tactics to survive high school to College, Then you'll probably be okay. Of course that is coming from a High schooler anyway :laugh:

first off, try not to worry about this (I know its hard to not worry sometimes and this is pretty basic advice which I am sure you already know).

That being said, medical school does not have to be depressing. I have not really been depressed since starting. Sure it is difficult, but your classmates are going through the same thing and that seems to make things better since you have people to commiserate with should you need it. but for the most part medical school is fun. most people do this because its what they love and its interesting (at least for me and most of my classmates) to finally start learning things that will directly apply to treating patients. and you are not always sleep deprived.

in the end, you have a long way to go before you get to professional school. try and focus on doing well in HS and getting into college. and try not to focus on a lot of the rumors about professional school, since many of them are not true. You are free to PM me if you want more of a current students perspective (although I still think its too early to even begin to think about this), but if it will help you out/feel better I would be glad to help.