Never thought I would ask: Rescore

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycalimd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I really hate to post this, but I passed the practical part of my AP (passed CP entirely), but missed the written (495/500).
I'm so crazy I can't see straight.
Please let me know if a rescore is a viable option.
I've been trying to talk myself out of paying them more money, but I'm not in the best mindset.

Any help greatly, greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I think re-score is a good option. It looks like you are pretty close and maybe something will work out in your favor, although I have heard scores are unlikely to change with a re-score. If you don't do the re-score are you going to keep wondering about it? If so, I'f go ahead and do it.

Sorry to hear about your coming up just short. Being so close, I'm sure that you are likely to pass next time.

Since it is all done on computer, what is there to rescore?

There are no hanging chads or partially erased ovals.

It doesn't sound like it can change things.

Members don't see this ad :)
The difference is $1800 plus another $600 for flight and hotel. I would ask for a rescore because either you get bumped up or not, so you have nothing to lose.

I just took that exam. Sorry to hear about this. I finished a surg path fellowship, and I am currently doing cytopath. I thought the AP written part was ridiculously hard as hell and for 4 weeks I was scared. For me, this was the hardest of the six parts.

Good luck to you in the future.

Agreed totally about AP Written, by far my hardest part.

I am sorry to hear the OP missed by just a few points. That simply sucks. My opinion is that asking for a rescore is just throwing more money away (after all, you have to pay, right?). It's not like an essay or an oral exam where grading is subjective..rescore of a computerized exam is surely futile. You might consider calling the ABP and asking if they've ever had a score such as yours overturned by a rescore, to help you make the decision.

I don't have any experience with anyone requesting a rescore and having anything change. But I suppose it is possible. How much do they charge? I agree though since it is a computer score I can't imagine how your score would change. If it was going to change it would be because they threw out a question or changed the correct answer which should happen regardless of whether you request a rescore or not.

Seriously. You can spend 1800 and take it again or you can spend 1800 plus whatever it costs to rescore it. It was done on a computer what is there to rescore ? I mean for real.

I am in the EXACT same situation with a 495 on the AP written following the Spring 2010 exam. I did not ask for a rescore, because I just didn't believe it would change anything. I am now registering for the Spring 2011 AP exam. It sucks. I am in a surg path f/s this year, and I am hoping it will help. But I don't know. The AP written questions were far from practical. As if having cancer last year and being on chemo for 6 months wasn't enough, I had to fail the f***ing board exam by 5 points?? Really, God, could I not get a little break here?? Yes, I am a bit bitter. :) But I am sure we will both pass. It's just gonna be a more expensive, painful experience for us. Best of luck to you, sorry about your crappy results.

I am in the EXACT same situation with a 495 on the AP written following the Spring 2010 exam. I did not ask for a rescore, because I just didn't believe it would change anything. I am now registering for the Spring 2011 AP exam. It sucks. I am in a surg path f/s this year, and I am hoping it will help. But I don't know. The AP written questions were far from practical. As if having cancer last year and being on chemo for 6 months wasn't enough, I had to fail the f***ing board exam by 5 points?? Really, God, could I not get a little break here?? Yes, I am a bit bitter. :) But I am sure we will both pass. It's just gonna be a more expensive, painful experience for us. Best of luck to you, sorry about your crappy results.

You had a germ cell tumor right? That sucks Just start studying right now and you will kill it next time.

Was ap really harder than cp thus year?

Since the charges for rescoring are small (50 USD, I assume), I would do it but do it expect anything.

The morning practical was not too bad. The AP written really corncobbed you. They would talk about an entity and ask you the 4th-5th most important question about it. There was someone who took the AP in the spring and then retook it this fall and said it was much harder. I "remember" alot of the AP written so I could PM an example or two. The AP afternoon practical had the worst images. I'm a cyto fellow and I wouldn't be surprised if I 50% on the afternoon practical. For example, they had the WORST ascus/lsil, they had a cluster of 7 spindle cells on 60x and asked you if it was a leiomyoma, granuloma, leiomyosarcoma or fibrosarcoma. LOTS of normal cytology.

The CP was hard, but at least you had a clinical vignette to help you fight through. What I found completely unacceptable is that I bet about 75% of it was blood bank. When I began, BB and coag were my weaknesses so I studied those out of fear, but the Fall 2010 boards absolutely fisted you with BB product and personnel management type questions. There was not a single mold on it (good thing bc I didn't study it).

I didn't do any courses for this, but if I could do it over I would DEFINITELY do a course. I will do it for sure for the MOC. I felt that studying for boards will hopefully make me a better doctor. I think there are few pathologists that would look down on anyone who failed bc it is a total crapshoot.

I would be really, really interested to hear of anyone who requested a rescore and had the result changed (better, worse, anything) since the computer based exam has been out.

I know at least a couple of people who had similar scores on AP &/or CP, 490+ all the way up to 499(!), and didn't rescore. Is there no indication what exactly is looked at again? Just running it through the computer again wouldn't seem to do any good, but manually looking question by question is different (i.e., theoretically could lead to another question being thrown out -- but my impression is the board/exam committee only goes through and does that once overall, not on rescores).

Members don't see this ad :)
I have known 2 people who failed with a 499, both got the $50 rescore and both still failed... I wouldn't recommended giving the ABP $50 more; however, if you will always wonder "what if" maybe that's a good option. I think they let you know within a week about the rescore.

I know this is going to sound cynical but I have a feeling what they are going to do is cash your check, don't bother even rescoring and just tell you that the score hasn't changed...cha ching!

Seriously, I dont think rescoring will result in any changes to your score. If it did, then that would undermine the inital scoring of exams and that would be a huge problem since there are so many ppl taking this test and so much money involved.

Someone asked Dr. Bennett this question during the breakfast forum at ASCP. She said re-scoring is basically a holdover from the days when the exam was pencil & paper. Since everything is done on the computer, there's no real ambiguity in your answers. Also, just because you score is really close to passing doesn't mean you only missed it by 1 or 2 questions.

Pay the $50 or $60 to re-score if it'll make you feel better, but be prepared to take the exam again.

----- Antony

Someone asked Dr. Bennett this question during the breakfast forum at ASCP. She said re-scoring is basically a holdover from the days when the exam was pencil & paper. Since everything is done on the computer, there's no real ambiguity in your answers.

----- Antony

Of course, like I said 12 times above. It is on a computer. There is nothing to rescore. It is raises questions about the ethics of the ABP for them to even offer it still.

So a passing score is 500? What is the highest score anyone got? We didn't get scores back in the day.

If the board can't explain what they're doing by "rescoring," and there's really no chance of a score being changed by simply hitting the return key again, then I'd have to agree. That would basically make it a scam playing on the emotions of the downtrodden -- I can't imagine such a thing being looked on favorably by the American Board of Medical Specialties, and could arguably be criminal.

The rescore is just a 5 minute clerical check by one of their office deuches to see the name and score are correctly matched; then she takes your $50 and goes to Shula's for a steak lunch.

Last edited:
Thats wrong. I hope they take that $50 and go across the street to the Indian Restaurant associated with the BP gas station.

The rescore is just a 5 minute clerical check by one of their office deuches to see the name and score are correctly matched; then she takes your $50 and goes to Shula's for a steak lunch.

Sorry to hear that about your test. I must say hands down it was nothing less than an awful raping with a bedpost. I would rescore, but you know how inhuman the Boards people are. I sent them some dirty magazines for Christmas. I don't even know why they give people who fail a score and people who passed a stupid score.

The upside is you were nearly close (course that only counts in handgrenades and nuclear weapons) and you passed CP. Far and away my pals and myself studied CP more than AP due to fear of it.

Good luck with it, I'll drink a shot for you. Feel bad for anyone who fails that organized hazing of pathologists. :luck:

What about that "gentleman's club" up the street called the Doll House? I'm sure 50 bucks will go a long way in there.

BURN TAMPA! :thumbdown:

Okay the whole rescore thing REALLY made me laugh. They need to have a rescore coupon on the bottom of every failed exam For only 99 bucks you too can dream of passing!

They have to adjust some of the scores by a point or 2, still failing but enough to sell the fantasy convincingly.

Perhaps adjust the score by 1-2 points then offer a follow "Super Duper Rescore by the President of the ABP Herself" for $299.

Steak Dinners and runs to Mons everyday!!

Apparently, the written and practical are now reported as a combined score for the AP portion (at least for the 2014 test). So, I assume you can 'fail' one part of the test and still pass if the other portion brings you up. It also looks like they have added a new multi-step test question for the practical as well. CP will be the same way for the 2015 test.

Apparently, the written and practical are now reported as a combined score for the AP portion (at least for the 2014 test). So, I assume you can 'fail' one part of the test and still pass if the other portion brings you up. It also looks like they have added a new multi-step test question for the practical as well. CP will be the same way for the 2015 test.

I confirm this.