Never took SAT or ACT.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyrone.

Y'all got any more of them acceptance letters?
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dropped out my senior year of HS back in 2008 to take care of father who was dying. I got my GED and started at a CC before transferring to UNI after he passed. Is not taking either of those tests going to impede my medical school hopes? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I dropped out my senior year of HS back in 2008 to take care of father who was dying. I got my GED and started at a CC before transferring to UNI after he passed. Is not taking either of those tests going to impede my medical school hopes? Thanks
No, other than it gives you less familiarity with long, standardized test such as the MCAT and Step 1 once in med school.

The only other impediment would be if you needed to attend a SMP (Special Masters' Program) which are programs for college grads to help their chances getting into medical school. Some of those use SAT in lieu of MCAT for admission. But SMPs are only needed if you need to remediate your undergrad GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
No, other than it gives you less familiarity with long, standardized test such as the MCAT and Step 1 once in med school.

The only other impediment would be if you needed to attend a SMP (Special Masters' Program) which are programs for college grads to help their chances getting into medical school. Some of those use SAT in lieu of MCAT for admission. But SMPs are only needed if you need to remediate your undergrad GPA.
Oh, okay. That makes sense. I don't plan on doing any master's work. Just kicking the MCAT's butt so there are no questions concerning my ability ha. Thanks for the response!

Members don't see this ad :)
No SAT/ACT for me and im doing just fine. You will be fine.

No SAT/ACT for me and im doing just fine. You will be fine.
Thanks! Oh, also... it's been a while since I've taken trig but I feel pretty good about it. I just figure next semester it'll be utilized when I take physics. It's been a while - I'm 27 and applying around 29. Any good resources for reviewing topics to get ready for it next semester?

Wake Forest, a top 25 undergraduate college, does not require standardized testing I believe

Khan academy has a video on Sohcohtoa, and another short one on the rule of signs. I took physics without trig and actually the registration office laughed at me and said i couldnt. So i went and found a professor that would sign an override.

Reactions: 1 users
Wake Forest, a top 25 undergraduate college, does not require standardized testing I believe
Good to know! I will be applying to most of my in-state schools, even the private. Not Duke, though. I don't have the research to back that up or GPA.

Khan academy has a video on Sohcohtoa, and another short one on the rule of signs. I took physics without trig and actually the registration office laughed at me and said i couldnt. So i went and found a professor that would sign an override.
I'll check out the Khan academy stuff. I made it all the way to calc 3 in the past, so I shouldn't have a problem. Just want to kill the MCAT because I'll be compensating for a little bit of a poor GPA from two F's early on in my college career. Been doing great since then, but those F's kill the GPA and so hard to rebuild.

Medical schools only want your MCAT. I know someone who went to a JC and got into medical school.

Medical schools only want your MCAT. I know someone who went to a JC and got into medical school.
Hmm.. interesting. I figured that even if it did matter, its weight would hold much compared to all of the tests taken in college and the MCAT. Thanks for your input!