Nevermind

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted176915

sorry I started something here. Just a frustrated student!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that you had previously applied to US MD and DO schools.
What was the outcome of those applications?

You will be required to account for matriculation at this Caribbean school in the AMCAS primary. What will you say?

Last edited:
Hi guys! I couldn't find any threads on this but I want some raw honest opinions. I am seriously considering dropping out of my med school. I go to a Caribbean school and to be honest, it's not fully accredited and it makes me feel uncomfortable continuing on and shelling out money in private loans. I love love love being a medical student but I want to be back home. I will complete my first year soon but don't want to come back. It sounds silly but honestly, I miss home. I miss the U.S. and I will do what it takes to reapply to my state school. Am I crazy? Wishful thinking? Go for it? LOL I don't want to invest anymore time in this school. It's ridiculous. I don't know how I will come off when I reapply to medical school. I also don't want to give a bad rep to Caribbean schools. A lot of students love it out here.
This sounds like a recipe for disaster. General rule of thumb when applying to medical school is to not apply anywhere you truly don't want to go to. IMO, it's too late. I'm going to assume you've previously applied US MD and DO, so now you have to prove you have somehow improved and give a valid reason for leaving your current school. That is an extremely tough sell. Is your MCAT still valid? Have you considered all the hoops you would have to jump through, again? Current student debt? I don't see this working one bit.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I couldn't find any threads on this but I want some raw honest opinions. I am seriously considering dropping out of my med school. I go to a Caribbean school and to be honest, it's not fully accredited and it makes me feel uncomfortable continuing on and shelling out money in private loans. I love love love being a medical student but I want to be back home. I will complete my first year soon but don't want to come back. It sounds silly but honestly, I miss home. I miss the U.S. and I will do what it takes to reapply to my state school. Am I crazy? Wishful thinking? Go for it? LOL I don't want to invest anymore time in this school. It's ridiculous. I don't know how I will come off when I reapply to medical school. I also don't want to give a bad rep to Caribbean schools. A lot of students love it out here.
A lot of us feel this way. I hope you are going back home end of each semester so you don't feel burnt-out. Some stay on the island for the whole 20 months there and may feel this way.

I would recommend you still go to your current school, and apply the schools you want while still attending your current school. Some classmates are doing this because Saint James tuition is relatively cheap so its like a "side job med school" while applying their "real objective" med schools back home. Even if they didn't get in their med school of their choice for years on, they will be getting their "MDs" from their current school by then.

When you do land some in-person interview(s), give your current school some excuse, fly off, then come back to classes. Or defer a semester if necessary.

This is the safer option. Kill 2 bird with 1 stone. You wont necessarily save money (depends...), but saves some time in getting your MD if applying back home fails.

Last edited:
Thank you, you made me think about this. What will I say? Do I look like someone that gave up? I'm not giving up on med school.
There is a section (on the AMCAS ap) that you will be required to fill out regarding your previous matriculation. How will you respond?

Thank you, you made me think about this. What will I say? Do I look like someone that gave up? I'm not giving up on med school.
I can't sugar coat this, What your app would telegraph at my would be:

1) you couldn't handle med school
2) the MD degree was more important to you than being a DO.
3) going to an unaccredited Carib school0 shows desperation and/or judgement issues 4) you were more interested on the quick (and unrealistic) route of the Carib school rather than repair your app via reinvention.

Also, if you've applied to your state school previously, why would you have any more success now???

Hey thanks for the insight. I have thought of this somewhat. I can apply to my home state school and see what happens. I do go home often. It's expensive but I don't care. I also thought about taking a leave of absence and applying to US schools or just seeing what my options are. I'm also at a point where I should just suck it up and stay another year in this dump. The beaches are nice but the town is not. I hate the bugs. Little things are getting to me, it's ridiculous.
In my experience, one of the essential qualities that determines success in a Caribbean medical school is persistence and a determination to succeed no matter what.

The obstacles are many. Huricanes like Bret or Irma, bugs, lack of first world comforts, isolation from family, missed weddings, anniversaries, funerals, birthdays, to name a few. For some schools, issues with poor quality of instruction, the need to be a self motivated, self directed learner, ever changing curriculum, mounting debt, uncertainty about matching.

You've got to be tough to be successful at a Caribbean med school. It also helps to have solid financial and emotional support from family, friends, and colleagues.

Personally, I think the character and adaptability required to be successful in a Caribbean med school makes for great doctors. Many would agree, others don't understand the qualities needed for success and devalue Caribbean grads.

Sounds to me like you are close to getting off the island and moving on to the clinical portion of your training. Being back in the US may be easier for you. Many Caribbean schools have multiple locations for clinical training. Some may be close to home, others farther away. Its pretty normal to move several times. That is hard too.

You haven't shared what school you're at and may prefer not to to maintain anonymity. There may be legitimate concerns regarding the quality of your school, but without more detail its hard to evaluate the risks with this.

You say your school is not "fully accredited." I don't know exactly what you mean by this.

No Caribbean school is accredited in the US. Caribbean schools are normally accredited by either CAAM-HP or ACCM.

Does "not fully accredited" mean your school is provisionally accredited by one of these bodies? That may not be a major concern as long as it doesnt loose that accreditation while you're there.

However if your school is not accredited at all (full accreditation should not be necessary) by an organization recognized by WFME (such as one of the above), by 2024 you will not be able to match in the US.

That would be a big problem and may suggest the need to change to another Caribbean med school that is accredited or try applying to a US school, which, as others have said, might be a challenge. If you need to apply to another Caribbean school, best time to do so for a number of reasons is likely after finishing on the island and passing Step 1.

Ultimately, its up to you, but for what its worth, it sounds to me like you are being successful so far, but are having doubts based on the normal challenges and hardships associated with this path.

As long as your school is accredited, even if it is a lower tier or newer school, it may be worth sticking it out. Lots of grads from low tier schools are successful in matching to primary care, especially if they do well on Steps and can put together a solid application with good references.

Tough choices though. Best wishes for success whatever direction you choose.

Reactions: 2 users
There isn't any record of me even currently enrolled in school if that makes sense. I could apply to US schools and not even mention I was even here. Who is to stop me? You can't verify I was even enrolled anywhere. That sounds deceptive but it is true,
You will be required to attest to the truthfulness of your AMCAS application.
There is a significant risk that your subterfuge will be discovered.
This kind of dishonesty is a deal-breaker. The school would rescind acceptance.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
No Caribbean school is accredited in the US. Caribbean schools are normally accredited by either CAAM-HP or ACCM.

Does "not fully accredited" mean your school is provisionally accredited by one of these bodies? That may not be a major concern as long as it doesnt loose that accreditation while you're there.

However if your school is not accredited at all (full accreditation should not be necessary) by an organization recognized by WFME (such as one of the above), by 2024 you will not be able to match in the US.

That would be a big problem and may suggest the need to change to another Caribbean med school that is accredited or try applying to a US school, which, as others have said, might be a challenge. If you need to apply to another Caribbean school, best time to do so for a number of reasons is likely after finishing on the island and passing Step 1.

Ultimately, its up to you, but for what its worth, it sounds to me like you are being successful so far, but are having doubts based on the normal challenges and hardships associated with this path.

As long as your school is accredited, even if it is a lower tier or newer school, it may be worth sticking it out. Lots of grads from low tier schools are successful in matching to primary care, especially if they do well on Steps and can put together a solid application with good references.

Tough choices though. Best wishes for success whatever direction you choose.

This is mostly true. However, the EFMFG had indicated that by 2024, an unaccredited medical school graduate can still register with the ECMFG. Of course, this does not mean it will not happen eventually.

Reactions: 1 users
I love everyone's input here. I go to a school that just opened in 2022. I don't want to give the name just in case someone is watching/reading. Google around and you'll find it. The school is very small. The first cohort hasn't made it off the island yet and from what i hear, a lot of them aren't passing their comp exams. My school has no track record at all. The professors and faculty here that I learned of recently, have mostly left Ross and joined this school. I am still in my first year. I didn't choose this school as a last resort. It sorta found me. I was drawn in to it's proximity to FL. I had zero intentions of applying to any Caribbean schools and honestly didn't consider this one a Caribbean school, but it certainly is. There isn't any record of me even currently enrolled in school if that makes sense. I could apply to US schools and not even mention I was even here. Who is to stop me? You can't verify I was even enrolled anywhere. That sounds deceptive but it is true, I can't get loans unless they are private. My federal loans can't be deferred for in-school enrollment. It sounds like a hot mess but this place is a ****ing dump. If you met me, I am not a hot mess lol Just thinking through my options.
So you wish to enter a profession that values honesty and professionalism by being dishonest and unprofessional?

Just remember that character is what you do when no one is looking.

Reactions: 3 users
This is mostly true. However, the EFMFG had indicated that by 2024, an unaccredited medical school graduate can still register with the ECMFG. Of course, this does not mean it will not happen eventually.
Thanks for mentioning this. I believe the link below explains the implementation process in more detail and it appears you are quite correct. Good to know.

Reactions: 3 users