New ACGME internship/fellowship policy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbrons

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the osteo forum there is a long thread about how the acgme is considering to not accept osteopathic internships as part of the internship requirement of certain specialties (ie. PM&R, Rads). I thought most DO grads did ACGME internships anyway?

Did it pass?
Does anyone know more?
What will be the impact for MD students? Will this make things more competitive as DO Grads aim for ACGME spots only, abandoning AOA programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In the osteo forum there is a long thread about how the acgme is considering to not accept osteopathic internships as part of the internship requirement of certain specialties (ie. PM&R, Rads). I thought most DO grads did ACGME internships anyway?

Did it pass?
Does anyone know more?
What will be the impact for MD students? Will this make things more competitive as DO Grads aim for ACGME spots only, abandoning AOA programs?

this is the first time i'm hearing about this, but I would suspect the reason why a DO would do an AOA internship and aim for an ACGME residency is because they didn't get into the program the first time and deciding to apply again once they were in their intern year in an AOA program. I would suspect that if it does pass, those individuals would just flock to prelim ACGME spots that are not all that desireable anyways, and reapply from there.

this is the first time i'm hearing about this, but I would suspect the reason why a DO would do an AOA internship and aim for an ACGME residency is because they didn't get into the program the first time and deciding to apply again once they were in their intern year in an AOA program. I would suspect that if it does pass, those individuals would just flock to prelim ACGME spots that are not all that desireable anyways, and reapply from there.

Another reason a DO would do an AOA internship and ACGME residency is if they want the ACGME residency, but still want to be able to practice in four states that require an AOA internship to be licensed. You can get a waiver from the AOA for that internship, but some may do it instead of going through the hassle of applying for the waiver.

There's also one other reason. If someone matches ACGME categorical, but doesn't match their prelim year, they may scramble for a prelim year in the leftovers from the AOA match rather than going through the SOAP for a prelim year.

As far as I've heard, there's been no official word on whether or not this resolution passed, so theorizing about what happens now may be premature.

There's also one other reason. If someone matches ACGME categorical, but doesn't match their prelim year, they may scramble for a prelim year in the leftovers from the AOA match rather than going through the SOAP for a prelim year.

This is what I did. Ended up in an advanced spot in need of an internship. It was easy to get a DO one in a decent location and I avoided what were probably, in reality, the less desirable MD intern slot leftovers.

As far as the waiver from the AOA, it sounds like its not a big problem to get, but I guess its nice that I won't have to mess with that. The downside is that I still have OMM stuff to deal with for this year.

Glad I graduated when I did. There will be more pressure going forward on everyone.