New ... advice about DO schools, etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medboy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all ...

I am thinking about applying to DO schools this upcoming year and don't know much about the various schools. I know the basics - tuition, size, etc. But, in regards to rankings, or some schools emphasizing primary care or surgery etc, could some help me out? I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I don't know how competitive my stats are in relation to other applicants. I know the general acceptance numbers, but are my digits right at the middle or upper tier? 3.3 gpa 29 mcat

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

negate my previous request about rankings. I just read an older thread ... but if anyone knows anything about some schools pumping out more surgery residencies or some having the connections for it ??

To answer your surgery question, the schools located in cities, the schools affiliated with large universities, and the school with a lot of alums will be your best bets to land top surgery residencies...these are also the better known schools.

PCOM
NYCOM
MSUCOM
KCOM
UMDNJSOM
CCOM

Your numbers are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by JPHazelton
To answer your surgery question, the schools located in cities, the schools affiliated with large universities, and the school with a lot of alums will be your best bets to land top surgery residencies...these are also the better known schools.

PCOM
NYCOM
MSUCOM
KCOM
UMDNJSOM
CCOM

Your numbers are fine.

/sigh you forgot OSU . . . (again) :p

Here's my question: at a school like DMU, you have the option of doing most/all of your rotations at away locations. I'm thinking of surgery at this point, and I was wondering (how to put this?):

Well, does anyone have any numbers for DO students matching into (good) surgery programs? Better yet, can someone point me in the right direction?

Also, I'm wondering whether the away rotation thingy hurts or helps you when it's time to apply for residency slots, either in Surgery or something else ('cause I might change my mind)?

Thoughts?

DO schools are unique in that you could go to any DO school and still match surgery. I don't think any school has a better matchlist for surgery over other schools.

Having said that, it comes down to what school has better rotations sites and will give you a good education. Even that is relatively the same among DO schools.

To the OP, your numbers are competitive for DO schools. You should look more into what location you would want your DO school to be. East coast and the middle of the US schools have been mentioned. On the west coast you have TUCOM, AZCOM, and COMP, with COMP having the best reputation since it's been around longer than the other two.

Of course as a UHS alum, I think our grads have done quite well and the school is well established(1916).
Each and every school has its strengths, and as can be predicted, tend to have regional residency tendencies.

East coast PCOM, NYCOM are very stong
Midwest, DMU, CCOM, KCOM, UHS, OU,MSU are very stron
South, NOVA always strong
SW, AZCOM, TCOM great grads
West COMP, TOURO work with these guys occasionally
I have zero experience with VCOM, WVCOM, Pikesville or LECOM
These are my opinions, as I have worked with graduates from most of these schools. Personally, I believe these schools produce fantastic residents that improve year after year.

Originally posted by Slickness
DO schools are unique in that you could go to any DO school and still match surgery. I don't think any school has a better matchlist for surgery over other schools.

where did you come up with that? DO schools aren't unique in that fact. Any student at any medical school can match in surgery.

And there are schools which tend to match more surgical residents than other schools.

This goes for both DO and MD.

Originally posted by SM-UCLA tech
where did you come up with that? DO schools aren't unique in that fact. Any student at any medical school can match in surgery.

And there are schools which tend to match more surgical residents than other schools.

This goes for both DO and MD.
Ok they aren't unique. As for some schools matching more surgical residents, I am not sure it differs drastically with DO schools. That is to say, the DO school that you choose won't matter. The board scores matter more.