New Allopathic Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD Rapper

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

I wonder if one day getting into medical school with be uncompetitive? That's what comes to mind for me, anyway. Scary.

MD Rapper said:
I keep hearing about more and more DO schools opening up... are there any plans to open up new MD schools?

At this rate, I wonder if there will be a day (say 50 or 60 years from now) when about half of the doctors in the US are osteopathic physicians as a result of rapidly opening schools.

What do you guys think? I wonder if IMGs/FMGs will still have a place in the future of American medical practice too...

btw.. definitely not trying to start a flame war here... :D

I haven't heard of any but all you need are a few politicians who want to bring home the pork.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's been talk of opening up another branch of OHSU in Eugene, after the private hospital moves into a new building. They would leave an empty hospital right on the U or O campus, which would be an awesome place to have a med school.

I don't think anyone has to worry about med school not being competetive anymore! :laugh:

I'd be more concerned that doctors are being replaced by PAs and R.N.s!

Idaho needs a good med school.

How much do you think it would cost to start a for-profit allopathic school with campuses in Boise, Cheyenne, Billing and Fairbanks? :rolleyes:

SHREDDER WHERE ARE YOU???? I NEED A VENTURE CAPITALIST!

sunnyjohn said:

How much do you think it would cost to start a for-profit allopathic school with campuses in Boise, Cheyenne, Billing and Fairbanks? :rolleyes:

Considering the massive investment, accreditation, lobbying, etc., I don't think it would be worth it. You would be much better off investing in a diversified portfolio and earning the market return.

bwells46 said:
Considering the massive investment, accreditation, lobbying, etc., I don't think it would be worth it. You would be much better off investing in a diversified portfolio and earning the market return.

Hmmm...

Maybe when I'm President of the United states, instead of building a presidential library, I'll build a medical school in Alaska and Idaho!

THE PRESIDENT SUNNYJOHN UNIVERSITY MEDICAL CENTER AT BOISE AND FAIRBANKS

There was talk of a new private med school in Colorado about two years ago (it was also going to be a large UG and law school - really huge in the plans), but the state nixed it. I don't know if the private foundation was going to look at putting it in another state or not.

Hmm, maybe they plan to shut down some allopathic medical schools.

I think you're correct, shutting down schools is a greater possibility than adding many more.

Phil Anthropist said:
My understanding is that FAU and UCF are considering making new MD schools (see the Florida Frontiers section):
http://www.aamc.org/newsroom/reporter/march05/newschools.htm

Actually it was FIU, not FAU, that was considering the new medical school.

As per FAU, they may eventually break off of UMiami, but for now they are currently host for the new UMiami branch campus.

However, you never know what will happen in the future.

sunnyjohn said:

Shredder is gone. Someone exposed his identity and has not been back since.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pose said:
I wonder if one day getting into medical school with be uncompetitive? That's what comes to mind for me, anyway. Scary.

It would just become like law school. Only graduates from the "top tier" of schools get good jobs, then as you go down further employment prospects get worse and worse.

CTSballer11 said:

Are you kidding me???? When did this happen?? I never saw anything of this, or was it in the lounge where I don't visit???

DRNNHA said:
Hmm, maybe they plan to shut down some allopathic medical schools.

If they shut down medical schools, won't there be an overall trend of increasing class sizes, perhaps? :(

Why would med schools be shut down?

mashce said:
Why would med schools be shut down?

specially when the AMA called for an increase in the # of doctors...

CTSballer11 said:

That's too bad. He always had some pretty "interesting" though nonsensical ideas.

I hope I have my facts straight on this, but I believe the University of Arizona and Arizona State University are opening up a joint medical school in downtown Phoenix. I'm not exactly sure how that will work, maybe it'll be an offshoot of the medical school at U of A. Supposedly, the first class would be starting next year, but I've heard they only have around 20 spots for the first year. Wouldn't wanna be that guinea pig.

The U of A and ASU are opening a joint medical school under U of A SOM's current accrediation. Although the initial class was supposed to start Fall 2006 it has be pushed back to 2007. The first class will have 24 students. Additional students will be added until the class size is 150 in 2011. :eek:

Starvin Marvin said:
I hope I have my facts straight on this, but I believe the University of Arizona and Arizona State University are opening up a joint medical school in downtown Phoenix. I'm not exactly sure how that will work, maybe it'll be an offshoot of the medical school at U of A. Supposedly, the first class would be starting next year, but I've heard they only have around 20 spots for the first year. Wouldn't wanna be that guinea pig.

UofA and ASU are going to build a branch campus in Phoenix but for now it’s only a MD/PhD school. I’ve been told that there hasn’t been a new MD school opened since the 80’s. …. I mean totally new, not a branch off of another school.

Kubed said:
UofA and ASU are going to build a branch campus in Phoenix but for now it’s only a MD/PhD school. I’ve been told that there hasn’t been a new MD school opened since the 80’s. …. I mean totally new, not a branch off of another school.

Thanks for clearing that up. Knew I was missing something. Too bad I can't attend then. Go ASU!!!

Kubed said:

Wouldn't FSU be considered a new school? Before with the PIMS program, they were feeding students into 3rd year at UF. The institutions are entirely different so it's not a branch.

Phil Anthropist said:
He's not as active, but he's still around.

My bad. I was pretty sure someone exposed his identity and I have not seen him back here since then. You are the man, so I will take your word for it.

CTSballer11 said:
My bad. I was pretty sure someone exposed his identity and I have not seen him back here since then. You are the man, so I will take your word for it.
No you're right. Someone did post his identity and that user was subsequently banned. The reason there's no record of that info is that I deleted those posts. He hasn't been on Pre-Allo since that happened, but I did see him on the MD/MBA forum the other day. Donald Lives!

Sincerely,

Big Brother

Phil Anthropist said:
No you're right. Someone did post his identity and that user was subsequently banned. The reason there's no record of that info is that I deleted those posts. He hasn't been on Pre-Allo since that happened, but I did see him on the MD/MBA forum the other day. Donald Lives!

Sincerely,

Big Brother

Wow - what did they post? His real name, address, etc.? And how did they get it?

basically, I'm just asking if our information is secure.

bwells46 said:
Wow - what did they post? His real name, address, etc.? And how did they get it?

basically, I'm just asking if our information is secure.

Someone knew him from the school he attended, and they put his name on with his picture asking if it was him. I guess someone on here was able to spot him because he listed his undergrad, race, and he is known for his extreme capatalistic views.

CTSballer11 said:
Someone knew him from the school he attended, and they put his name on with his picture asking if it was him. I guess someone on here was able to spot him because he listed his undergrad, race, and he is known for his extreme capatalistic views.

That's too bad. Oh well, his capitalistic ideas often didn't make sense anyway.

Just heard that Scranton, PA is planning for a new allopathic school in the next 8 years. Supposedly Jefferson and Drexel will be helping out in the planning and staffing of the whole thing. The state of PA and city of Scranton have already pledged/set aside millions of dollars for it, and the land has already been acquired.

FIU has been politiking to get a med school for some time now...unfortunately it is only a 4th tier commuter school . Their prez has been trying to grow the school in size but not in quality...they just got a law school and they are looking for the MED school to make them legit. I think UCF would make a great med school in an area that does not have one. FIU really doesn't stand a chance of getting approved being just down the road from the University of Miami SOM. Being a Miami native I would love to see FIU become a major player but they need to improve their academic standards and mature a bit before they get into the MED school business.

bwells46 said:

yea, but you gotta admit, his posts/rants were entertaining.

jtank said:
yea, but you gotta admit, his posts/rants were entertaining.

I agree with him on many things, so it sucks that he is not around any more.

CTSballer11 said:
I agree with him on many things, so it sucks that he is not around any more.

Yeah, he was fun to debate with.

bwells46 said:

i think a lot of his ideas DID make sense. And he offered refreshingly different viewpoints. hopefully he'll come back. but i know he wouldn't adcoms to know what he was writing all the time... and a fair number of adcom members read these boards.

why would someone expose a member on a thread anyway? couldn't they just PM someone if they are dying of curiosity?

eww... I'm glad that person was banned.

Trunion said:
FIU has been politiking to get a med school for some time now...unfortunately it is only a 4th tier commuter school . Their prez has been trying to grow the school in size but not in quality...they just got a law school and they are looking for the MED school to make them legit. I think UCF would make a great med school in an area that does not have one. FIU really doesn't stand a chance of getting approved being just down the road from the University of Miami SOM. Being a Miami native I would love to see FIU become a major player but they need to improve their academic standards and mature a bit before they get into the MED school business.

This is what I'm thinking. If any school should get a new medical school, it should be UCF not FIU. UCF is in a prime location with no med schools in near proximity, unless you come to Tampa or Gainesville. Furthermore, it is a huge city with a lot of potential, where no medical scho

I second the thought that UCF needs a medical school. That would provide for a great distribution of med schools in Florida - Tallahassee, Gainesville, Tampa, Orlando, and Miami. UNF would also be an interesting choice for a med school since it's in Jacksonville and students could train at Shands @ Jax teaching hospital. This could potentially be more cost-effective and easier to implement than elsewhere since you will already have academic physicians in the area.

However, I think for purposes of directed training, one of the new med schools in Florida should be a DO school. From what I've read, DOs are more likely to go into primary care specialties and practice in underserved areas. Florida, as well as many other states, has a need for physicians in underserved areas. That's one of the reasons why they built the med school at FSU but I just don't see the FSU graduates fully fulfilling this need.

BrettBatchelor said:
Shands has UF as its affiliate.

True but Shands is a private 501(c)3 corporation. Unless it has an exclusive contract with UF, it could easily section off the Jax hospital for a dual affiliation.

ShyRem said:
I think the next new med school should be in a state currently without one.

That would be a good idea. Put a few state-supported schools in some of the more underserved states.