New associate salaries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gottadvm

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating in six weeks (!!!!!) and just no starting my job search. Would anybody be willing to share their current offers - for new GPs? Especially east coast area.

Members don't see this ad.

90-110k + 20% production (plus standard benefits) GP/ER hybrid work in the Denver Metro Area. Got one real bad offer (85k with limited mentorship, no production, and no benefits).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
$105k (plus production, sign on bonus & relocation assistance, good mentoring) in the Seattle area.

Reactions: 1 user
In Toronto and the surrounding areas the starting is around 130-150k plus bonuses and working 36 hours a week approximately

Reactions: 1 users
Have been offered $100k + 22% production (6 months from graduation now) in FL. Given inflation right now, I’d probably ask for ~$110k now + sign on bonus + >22% production (w/o negative accrual). If you go to the AVMA job listings you can see jobs listed in your area of interest. Many of them will specify compensation.

Reactions: 1 user
Have been offered $100k + 22% production (6 months from graduation now) in FL. Given inflation right now, I’d probably ask for ~$110k now + sign on bonus + >22% production (w/o negative accrual). If you go to the AVMA job listings you can see jobs listed in your area of interest. Many of them will specify compensation.
How munch is the typical sign on bonus? I saw that banfield is offering $50k.

Corporate sign on bonuses are often much higher than bonuses for privately owned clinics. They also vary a lot from state to state.

One thing to consider when faced with these huge sign on bonuses is there’s usually an agreement/requirement to stay for a certain length of time or else you have to pay the bonus back partially or fully. Which is reasonable, but sucks because you have to pay back the whole pre-tax amount (in your example 50,000) when you had to pay taxes on it and actually only received 30,000 after taxes. Read the fine print. It can trap you in if you decide the clinic isn’t a fit after 6 months and you accepted a giant bonus you now can’t repay. There’s often a reason why bonuses are exorbitant.., they’re desperate. I’d rather negotiate a higher salary and lower bonus if possible. My position (not in GP or even clinical practice at all, I’m in pathology) had a $10,000 bonus. My company is offering an additional $20,000 for one location because no one wants to go there.

Reactions: 2 users