New BLS Stats out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Prepharms dont know crap. pharm students are almost as clueless. Most pharmacists whos been stuck in one job for a whle are typically clueless. they are especially cluless because they dont know what they dont know. So...there you have it. I thought your arguing with dumb pharmacists on sdn made you decide to not pursue pharm.
I agree pre-pharms, pharm students, new grads...dont' know much about "reality". I was one of them at one point. Every single one of us was. But, there is no reason to be an ass*** or a bit** just because it's an online forum and people don't know who you are. (Well, I guess some people
are just real ass regardless of online or real life !)

And then we wonder why doctors don't respect us? Look at what we have here...

Members don't see this ad.

I agree pre-pharms, pharm students, new grads...dont' know much about "reality". I was one of them at one point. Every single one of us was. But, there is no reason to be an ass*** or a bit** just because it's an online forum and people don't know who you are. (Well, I guess some people

Mmmmmmm doctors don't respect each other either.....fyi. And I hardly believe its the bickering on SDN pharmacy forum is responsible for anyone not having a respect for others

Looking at your past posts your main argument is usually "pre-pharm doesn't know ****" when you insult pre-pharm students for just "considering" pharmacy.

I'm not trying to school you at all. Obviously I don't know as much about pharmacy. You don't know me. How could you even judge by a name plate on an online forum? I don't see a pharmacist verification badge on your profile. You might not even be a pharmacist. Interestingly enough, most of the strongest doom and gloom proponents don't. I mean you can think whatever you want...I can only look at placement, proof, statistics, and numbers. If you think BLS is less reliable than some dude on a forum then that statement speaks for itself. I have to use the resources I have available. It's not 100% but it's accurate enough.

Just because a random pharmacist on some forum said something does not make it true. Everything here is anecdote and opinion. We're not in a lab conducting science. No one knows for sure. lol @ how neither of you answered my question at what pharmacy school you went to... and they say scores don't matter. To those of you who contributed to this thread, thanks. To those of you who just insulted me and other pre-pharms, get out of here.. :thumbdown:

Rxlea, as an admin I would think you would be a little more considerate towards your younger members. This is STUDENTdoctor.net. All you miserable pharmacists need to find somewhere else to play. I come here looking for feedback and all I get are shelled out and angry pharmacists who spend hours on end online. 7+ years? Yikes! Well, alrighty then! I mean i understand constructive criticisim and being honest, but seriously. Look at your posts guys. Just look at them. "idiot pre-pharms" "boner for NAPLEX" really? What a Joke. Who's more immature you or me? How can people like this even get into professional school. America has such low standards.

In all honesty, I appreciate all of your feedback(pharmDstudent and confetti as well) on this thread. I will continue to explore my options in pharmacy and other professions, while evaluating the job market. I will continue take advice from my vandy undergrad and UK grad pharmacist/physician mentor and people of the like. :thumbup:

Good luck to all the pre-pharm/pharm students/pharmacists who are down on their luck. :xf:

tl;dr, cliffs please?

Members don't see this ad :)
Obviously we have no clue. We are just bitter pharmacists. Paying our student loans and our taxes. Paying rent and/or a mortgage. Trying to hold onto our jobs.

You and everyone else in America. Welcome to the club. We have cookies.

And I thought the Pre-Pharms were supposed to be the special little snowflakes :rolleyes:

I don't understand why Pharmacists think they're the only ones struggling right now like the profession is going to collapse in on itself. You guys sound like the people that were stocking up on canned goods before Y2K lmao...Can anyone name a career that is in demand and being offered bonuses at this current state in our economy? Everything is cyclical...this too shall pass.

You and everyone else in America. Welcome to the club. We have cookies.

And I thought the Pre-Pharms were supposed to be the special little snowflakes :rolleyes:

I don't understand why Pharmacists think they're the only ones struggling right now like the profession is going to collapse in on itself. You guys sound like the people that were stocking up on canned goods before Y2K lmao...Can anyone name a career that is in demand and being offered bonuses at this current state in our economy? Everything is cyclical...this too shall pass.

Sammi:

That is exactly my point. The pre-pharms need to realize that they aren't special little snowflakes. Just from your post I can see you are realistic. Go swim in the pre-pharm forum for a bit and see what I mean.

That's the thing that really gets me. If there are so few jobs available, and such a glut of new pharmacists waiting for positions, why the heck do companies keep these old duffers employed? I worked with a pharmacist (not sure of the age) who told me "I can't hear very well, so if there's a phone call, it's for you... I'm to old to learn the ins and outs of the computer system, so anything advanced is up to you." This guy was a per diem, so it's not like I had to deal with him often, only on rare occasion, but still.

I know you can't "age discriminate" but this is performance based. You can't do the job, or do it poorly. Let a strapping young lad such as myself take the position.

You answered your own question in the 2nd paragraph. Many years ago, I temped at a place that was embroiled in legal issues because they had to fire a pharmacist who was near retirement age because he suddenly started making really bizarre mistakes. Not long after his dismissal, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. :( The people there were heartbroken about all this because they all really liked him.

They are totally getting hosed on the uninsured, and a lot of the hospitals at least around here are government owned or not for profit. Also, they pass on those cost to those that can pay via higher cost to paying customers. Taxpayers are paying either way (directly or indirectly) ....at least this way some people are being forced to pay something directly.

The National Geographic Channel is currently showing a program about meth, and this program goes to the burn unit at Vanderbilt University and interview the unit's director, and also a patient who was burned in a meth lab explosion and had been there for over 2 month (uninsured, of course). The director said that Vanderbilt's hospital gives $300 million in charity care just to patients in the burn unit, and while he didn't come out and say it, there was a very strong implication that if it was up to him, they wouldn't give those patients anything beyond comfort care. :eek:

Several weeks ago, the newspaper from the nearest big city to me, which has a hospital with a burn unit, did a story about this very topic and said that some hospitals have simply flat out closed their burn units, because the entire hospital was in danger of financial collapse just because of the uninsured meth lab explosion people in the burn unit. :wow:

The National Geographic Channel is currently showing a program about meth, and this program goes to the burn unit at Vanderbilt University and interview the unit's director, and also a patient who was burned in a meth lab explosion and had been there for over 2 month (uninsured, of course). The director said that Vanderbilt's hospital gives $300 million in charity care just to patients in the burn unit, and while he didn't come out and say it, there was a very strong implication that if it was up to him, they wouldn't give those patients anything beyond comfort care. :eek:

Several weeks ago, the newspaper from the nearest big city to me, which has a hospital with a burn unit, did a story about this very topic and said that some hospitals have simply flat out closed their burn units, because the entire hospital was in danger of financial collapse just because of the uninsured meth lab explosion people in the burn unit. :wow:
Just one more reason that Sudafed needs to be prescription only.

I've done my share of denying sales. A woman called me a " little chicken ****" last week. It makes me feel bad, because I don't enjoy conflict or being called names, but I can't just watch these people load up on Sudafed.

Our parish can no longer afford to dismantle them. :scared:

I believe it. If I told you most government hospitals (at least the ones I saw) made their money from investments, then what would you say?

They have the advantage of borrowing money by issuing tax free bonds (interest is tax free) to build new wings, equipment, and so on. The equipment and building wear out, but it is expenses over time. The cash flow from hospital really only covers the expenses (net margins are very low maybe a 1%), and the debt is rolled over into new debt when new stuff is purchased.

If you look at their balance sheet you will see investments (stocks, bonds, and so on) around the same amount as debt. Sure they have other assets, but they could have financed those without or using less debt. Why would they when they can borrow at 3% and invest at 8%.

2008-2010 hurt. It hurt bad. I was gone from public accounting by then, but I hear a lot of those hospitals took a bath on investments during that period.

In short....during the good times ---- investments covered a lot of the expenses/uninsured losses. Those days haven't happen in awhile, and hospitals just can't keep eating uninsured cost like that. You have to make money to stay in business.

Someone was telling me that some states are considering script limits for each pharmacist. That would be an interesting development.

Think about it...is it safe for one pharmacist to verify 500 scripts in 12 hours? You know they are doing new scripts, refills, answer calls, helping patients, and so on.

What if all the state boards banned together and limited it to say 40 scripts an hour over a rolling period. That would basically make national script count / 40ish = minimum number of pharmacist hours required. That would remove your feared over supply pretty quickly. It would also kill mail order facilities as you can do 100,000 scripts a day, but you are going to need 200ish pharmacist there for 12 hours to do it. That is 90 seconds a script.

I really don't think the retail stores will fight it. It really doesn't hurt them as few stores use one pharmacist for 480 scripts in 12 hours. It really protects them from mail order. Heck maybe 40 is to high.

Just an interesting thing I heard.

Someone was telling me that some states are considering script limits for each pharmacist. That would be an interesting development.

Think about it...is it safe for one pharmacist to verify 500 scripts in 12 hours? You know they are doing new scripts, refills, answer calls, helping patients, and so on.

What if all the state boards banned together and limited it to say 40 scripts an hour over a rolling period. That would basically make national script count / 40ish = minimum number of pharmacist hours required. That would remove your feared over supply pretty quickly. It would also kill mail order facilities as you can do 100,000 scripts a day, but you are going to need 200ish pharmacist there for 12 hours to do it. That is 90 seconds a script.

I really don't think the retail stores will fight it. It really doesn't hurt them as few stores use one pharmacist for 480 scripts in 12 hours. It really protects them from mail order. Heck maybe 40 is to high.

Just an interesting thing I heard.
I know the figures you threw out are just for example, but 40/hr is still 480/day, and figuring certain times are busier than others, that's still running a pretty dangerous pace.

Members don't see this ad :)
seems like this article is based the 25% increase on a lot of retiring pharmacists. are there a lot of older pharmacists wherever you guys work that would be retiring 5-10 yrs from now? at the pharmacies i volunteer at, everyone is under 35, except the pharmacy managers...

is there publication that shows the avg age of pharmacists? that would be interesting to look at.

Again, I have never ever claimed to know more than anyone. Awval. Read bold. If you still think I claim to be a know-it-all pre-pharm, give up your pharmD to a fiery volcano and work at a regional fast food joint. You are not needed in this world as a health professional. Good day to you sir.

Z, was this sarcasm? Because if it isn't, I love you for posting this.

As I said, I will keep my options open. I am wary about job prospect now. Just because the bottom 30% of the profession can't find a worth while living as pharmacists doesn't mean I won't be able to, BUT finding a job is a different story. Holistic approach is important for any student.

Hey buddy, not all pharmacy students go on SDN. You don't know for sure if the job outlook for pharmacy is affecting a small portion of us or a large portion.

NO jobs are "safe" jobs, everyone must compete, isn't this what makes this country so great? If everyone all gets to have the same job, then we're heading for .......you know...that political idea where everyone gets the pie. And please remember that pharmacy is NOT the only profession that have limited space for employment. Those who graduate with a BS in biology cannot even get a job as a lab tech unless they have extensive experience volunteering in labs. For example, if you want a job purifying proteins, you're not going to get it if 1. you have no prior experience working with proteins, and 2. if you have lab experience, but you spend your time making media/growing cells instead of purifying proteins.

As I mentioned before, pharmacy schools, much like all schools, are a business. They want your money, and the only way to do that is to capitalize on the whole pharmacist shortage and high salaries to attract money loving students. That's the worst thing about pharmacy school, it pains me to see students who have no love for this profession wants to go to pharmacy school anyways because they think they'll have it easy and count pills and read magazines all day. They have the grades to get in, but they don't have the passion for it. They may fake it during interviews, but trust me, they don't have it.

The best thing about this whole surplus drama is that it will bring out the best in most of us. Because we know that it is hard to get jobs, we will develop a mentality to work hard and embrace our passion for this profession. This leads to strong competition, and before you know it, this field might create some of the best pharmacists of the decade/century/millennium because of the whole surplus scare. I still believe in this profession, and I know it will grow, what's with personalized medicine and all.

Hey buddy, not all pharmacy students go on SDN. You don't know for sure if the job outlook for pharmacy is affecting a small portion of us or a large portion.

NO jobs are "safe" jobs, everyone must compete, isn't this what makes this country so great? If everyone all gets to have the same job, then we're heading for .......you know...that political idea where everyone gets the pie. And please remember that pharmacy is NOT the only profession that have limited space for employment. Those who graduate with a BS in biology cannot even get a job as a lab tech unless they have extensive experience volunteering in labs. For example, if you want a job purifying proteins, you're not going to get it if 1. you have no prior experience working with proteins, and 2. if you have lab experience, but you spend your time making media/growing cells instead of purifying proteins.

As I mentioned before, pharmacy schools, much like all schools, are a business. They want your money, and the only way to do that is to capitalize on the whole pharmacist shortage and high salaries to attract money loving students. That's the worst thing about pharmacy school, it pains me to see students who have no love for this profession wants to go to pharmacy school anyways because they think they'll have it easy and count pills and read magazines all day. They have the grades to get in, but they don't have the passion for it. They may fake it during interviews, but trust me, they don't have it.

The best thing about this whole surplus drama is that it will bring out the best in most of us. Because we know that it is hard to get jobs, we will develop a mentality to work hard and embrace our passion for this profession. This leads to strong competition, and before you know it, this field might create some of the best pharmacists of the decade/century/millennium because of the whole surplus scare. I still believe in this profession, and I know it will grow, what's with personalized medicine and all.

I definitely have to agree that younger pharmacists are WAY, WAY more competent and professional compared to older ones, at least the ones I've met at the 4 pharmacies I've worked at over the years and all the pharmacists I've shadowed and talked to. I think like 30 yrs ago it was super easy to get into pharmacy school, one pharmacist told me all you had to do was apply and you were basically in, no interviews or anything. The older ones aren't used to patient consulting or don't like it. The caliber of pharmacy students now is just way better because it's more difficult to get in. I think in the decades to come pharmacists as a whole are going to be really amazing. Now, maybe as a whole, not so much! In my personal experience, at least...
But I think this is true for a lot of professions. So many years ago you could work as a lab assistant out of high school or maybe with an AA but now you need a frickin Master's degree to get in and you only get paid $10/hr. Unknown forces are just keeping us in school for longer to get the same job at a later age with more debt.

Can we please go back to my original post, please about the projected 25% increase? I mean, where is that estimate coming from? Are there really gonna be THAT many retirements in the coming years?? It's a huge govt study so I'm just wondering if anyone knows how they arrived at that estimate.

My guess would be population aging over all which increases script count across the board. New laws which if upheld will increase coverage % greatly. New insurance & hospital pushes for clinical pharmacist in to keep patient stays shorter and less readmits.

Then figure in say 15 years from now...I see script writing/changing for PharmDs for continuing care and/or changing drug due to formulary. Just think how much more easier it would be for everyone if Pharmacist could grant refills for maintenance drugs for a few months until the Dr could see them a check up without having to call and track down the Dr. You know everyone waits until they are out, and then they are shocked they are out of refills. Dr. writes for the new drug without trying everyone....Pharmacist can change it.... Insurance/PBM .... pharmacist can talk to their staff pharmacist and fix PA. Dr. happy....they can just keep raking in the money without dealing with all the Rx crap. Well those that don't charge $ to write the refill will be happy to dump that paperwork.

My guess would be population aging over all which increases script count across the board. New laws which if upheld will increase coverage % greatly. New insurance & hospital pushes for clinical pharmacist in to keep patient stays shorter and less readmits.

Then figure in say 15 years from now...I see script writing/changing for PharmDs for continuing care and/or changing drug due to formulary. Just think how much more easier it would be for everyone if Pharmacist could grant refills for maintenance drugs for a few months until the Dr could see them a check up without having to call and track down the Dr. You know everyone waits until they are out, and then they are shocked they are out of refills. Dr. writes for the new drug without trying everyone....Pharmacist can change it.... Insurance/PBM .... pharmacist can talk to their staff pharmacist and fix PA. Dr. happy....they can just keep raking in the money without dealing with all the Rx crap. Well those that don't charge $ to write the refill will be happy to dump that paperwork.

Who doesnt charge money to write the refill?

interesting, thanks. yes there are so many inefficiencies in pharmacy its ridiculous. i volunteered at an independent pharmacy and i was shocked how much time the pharmacist spends on BS tasks like trying to contact a dr b/c something was wrong with rx, trying to fax a refill request through, dealing with insurance, i mean i couldn't believe she spent most of her time doing secretary-like tasks. i think everyone (except maybe doctors) would be happier if pharmacists had a little more authority, but then that's hard to control too...i mean the water gets murky regarding what you can change, how much refill you can give, etc. its just easier to keep it clean cut i guess and say dr has all power.

interesting, thanks. yes there are so many inefficiencies in pharmacy its ridiculous. i volunteered at an independent pharmacy and i was shocked how much time the pharmacist spends on BS tasks like trying to contact a dr b/c something was wrong with rx, trying to fax a refill request through, dealing with insurance, i mean i couldn't believe she spent most of her time doing secretary-like tasks. i think everyone (except maybe doctors) would be happier if pharmacists had a little more authority, but then that's hard to control too...i mean the water gets murky regarding what you can change, how much refill you can give, etc. its just easier to keep it clean cut i guess and say dr has all power.

That's pretty much the general role of a retail pharmacist. Most of the time, pharmacist, well technically it should be their techs, who call the insurance to verify group/id codes because the patients are too lazy/does not speak English to call them. No, docs do not have all the power. If they prescribe meds that have age restriction/too expensive/for vanity reasons, they will have to call the insurance company for authorization process. Pharmacists in general are allow to correct Sigs, with the exception of c-2, and they can take verbal prescriptions over the phone.

Sammi:

That is exactly my point. The pre-pharms need to realize that they aren't special little snowflakes. Just from your post I can see you are realistic. Go swim in the pre-pharm forum for a bit and see what I mean.

You are right...I lurked for a while before creating my account and there was a lot of "I will beat the odds! I will be able to do it!" when the reality is that not everyone is going to make the cut. But, just because jobs aren't guaranteed that doesn't mean the entire profession is going to hell either.

I think the line between being a Negative Nancy and a Special Snowflake is thick...I'm choosing the middle ground. Confident, yet aware.

And thank you! Intended or not, I take being called realistic as a compliment ;)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

25% percent growth, yet no data on the ever increasing number of pharmacists being pumped out of diploma mills. Average class of UIC is over 200 by itself. Add up all the pharmacy schools across the country, plus all the new one's opening up... it should scare you. 69,700 new jobs over 10 years = only 6790 new jobs per year. There's more than 33 pharmacy schools in the country LOL (200 grads per year * 33 schools = 6600 more competitors for your job). These stats are pretty depressing.

That's about a 1:1 ratio still so I don't know why you're so worried.

That's about a 1:1 ratio still so I don't know why you're so worried.

I think that Charcoales is saying that IF there were only 33 schools of pharmacy, then it would be a 1:1 ratio. But, there are many more...

I'm not sure of the exact number, but lets say about 115, with an average class size of 120:

115 X 120 = 13,800 new pharmacists every year, competing for those 6,790 jobs new jobs.

Good news is, this calculation doesn't take into account the jobs that are created due to retirement.

Good news is, this calculation doesn't take into account the jobs that are created due to retirement.

People say that, but I've worked with a lot of pharmacists that are pushing 65+. Not that they'll live forever, but if you want to really compare apples to apples (or at least head in that direction), with the average rph going to school for 5 years after the age of 18 and supposedly retiring at 65, how many pharmacy schools were open 42 years ago and how many students did they graduate?

I think that Charcoales is saying that IF there were only 33 schools of pharmacy, then it would be a 1:1 ratio. But, there are many more...

I'm not sure of the exact number, but lets say about 115, with an average class size of 120:

115 X 120 = 13,800 new pharmacists every year, competing for those 6,790 jobs new jobs.

Good calculation. Let's take it a bit further.

Seems as if 2/3 of classes now are female. And let's say 1/3 of those females will end up only working half-time (i'm being sexist and stereotypical here). Let's say the remainder work 1.0 FTE.
So we have 2/9's working 0.5 FTEs and 7/9's working 1.0 FTE's. Give's us a round about of 0.88 FTE for each graduating RPh. Still an oversaturation.

It is hard to account for retiring RPh's, they will either have to be forced out, like they are being in the hospitals right now (in general) by going more clinical less order entry (due to CPOE, etc). I just honestly think they see the fire ahead and are going to keep cashing the $100K checks until lick-stick-pour are gone. I don't blame them. Especially the ones that are 55+. Just keep banking money into the 401k cause when its gone its gone.

Good calculation. Let's take it a bit further.

Seems as if 2/3 of classes now are female. And let's say 1/3 of those females will end up only working half-time (i'm being sexist and stereotypical here). Let's say the remainder work 1.0 FTE.
So we have 2/9's working 0.5 FTEs and 7/9's working 1.0 FTE's. Give's us a round about of 0.88 FTE for each graduating RPh. Still an oversaturation.

It is hard to account for retiring RPh's, they will either have to be forced out, like they are being in the hospitals right now (in general) by going more clinical less order entry (due to CPOE, etc). I just honestly think they see the fire ahead and are going to keep cashing the $100K checks until lick-stick-pour are gone. I don't blame them. Especially the ones that are 55+. Just keep banking money into the 401k cause when its gone its gone.

There are about 125 pharmacy schools in the US so it's definitely an oversupply. I'm just going to get my degree and go into something else because the demand is shrinking when the supply is growing. This means that the reality is that new grads have between a 30%-50% chance of finding pharmacy work in the current environment. This is the most underutilized profession in the United States and we need to expand behind the counter status to the extent that the public benefits overall.

Last edited:
MThen figure in say 15 years from now...I see script writing/changing for PharmDs for continuing care and/or changing drug due to formulary. Just think how much more easier it would be for everyone if Pharmacist could grant refills for maintenance drugs for a few months until the Dr could see them a check up without having to call and track down the Dr. You know everyone waits until they are out, and then they are shocked they are out of refills. Dr. writes for the new drug without trying everyone....Pharmacist can change it.... Insurance/PBM .... pharmacist can talk to their staff pharmacist and fix PA. Dr. happy....they can just keep raking in the money without dealing with all the Rx crap. Well those that don't charge $ to write the refill will be happy to dump that paperwork.

I wish this would happen, but I highly doubt it will. Pharmacists will never be considered as providers, and with that being said, privileges for Rx's will be unlikely. Think lack of reimbursements and what not... :thumbdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish this would happen, but I highly doubt it will. Pharmacists will never be considered as providers, and with that being said, privileges for Rx's will be unlikely. Think lack of reimbursements and what not... :thumbdown:

Some pharmacists won this privilege in Alberta, Canada I think. They also have some authority in Florida. They definitely aren't "providers" as somebody else has made the diagnosis and a good pharmacist will always know to refer the patient to a physician per guidelines.

Pharmacists have the education, knowledge, and numbers to gain more privileges. They need to fight for patients and reach out to patients more. When they do this, the patients will grant privileges at the polls eventually. More collaboration needs to be introduced into the curriculum.

It's interesting to bring up other countries b/c I went to France and pharmacists are definitely involved in primary care decision making/treatment. I walked into a "retail" pharmacy (if you'd even call it that) looking for eye drops...was surprised to see the only thing that was over-the counter was stuff like kleenex or lotions, ANYTHING medicine is behind the counter....you have to describe your symptoms to the pharmacist and he hands you drugs, tells you how to use them....it was kind of annoying actually, he wanted to talk to me for 20 minutes but i was like BRO I'm touring the country I just want to buy eye drops and leave lol. I think the only time you see doctors is when you have a serious illness or need to be DIAGNOSED...really I think this is a great model. Have the physicians diagnose and have the pharmacists dose/dispense/counsel...maybe even take over some of the more basic stuff...

They also have some authority in Florida.
I think it's funny when people think FL pharmacists have prescriptive authority. It's completely useless, so let's set the record straight.

These are the laws:
http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2011/465.186
https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ruleno.asp?id=64B16-27.220

Basically there are several OTCs that may be prescribed in the Rx strengths:
- some analgesics like naproxen, ibuprofen
- phenazopyridine
- some antihistamines/decongestants
- cimetidine, famotidine, ranitidine

- vitamins with fluoride

Some oddball topical things:
- A/B otic
- Transderm Scop
- erythromycin topical
- Lindane
- Zovirax ointment
- Denavir

And that's about it. :laugh: I've never seen it used, and I don't know if you can even bill insurance for the 'Rx'.

And that's about it. :laugh: I've never seen it used, and I don't know if you can even bill insurance for the 'Rx'.

It's still something. Behind-the-counter status for medicines such as statins shouldn't be considered prescriptions, but rather, they should be considered approvals.

I visited some pharmacies in france. They limit the number of pharmacies based on population density/size. So an owner of a pharmacy gets certain region or part of town. Lots of things are OTC that are prescription here but you have to talk to the pharmacist for a lot of it. When I saw how cheap the topical voltaren was, I was surprised. I talked at length with one of the pharmacists. They do very well. Very well.

I visited some pharmacies in france. They limit the number of pharmacies based on population density/size. So an owner of a pharmacy gets certain region or part of town. Lots of things are OTC that are prescription here but you have to talk to the pharmacist for a lot of it. When I saw how cheap the topical voltaren was, I was surprised. I talked at length with one of the pharmacists. They do very well. Very well.

RATIONING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you hate freedom?

RATIONING!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you hate freedom?

The funny thing is, I've heard some communities do the same thing with liquor stores. Sounds like owning a liquor store would be pretty lucrative in that situation!

isn't it illegal in france to work >35hrs/week?

haha...residencies would end as we know it

Seriously I think some of you ppl are spoiled and lazy. You mean you have to actually have a good resume and be sorta of competitive for a job! What is the world coming to?

Alot of you ppl that come into pharmacy. Come from privileged backgrounds where you think something is going to be given to you as long as you complete your end of the deal (graduating). Its called interviewing skills, resume boosting, being involved maybe?

You know kinda what EVERY other career does (outside of nursing- they get jobs in a finger snap I'll admit lol).

Stop being lazy ppl and work. This is not 2006 where ppl go head over heels for you just because you are a pharmacy grad. But compared to almost every other job in the US, you are in a GREAT position.

I graduate pharmacy school in 2014. Im not worried.

Seriously I think some of you ppl are spoiled and lazy

Typing people only takes three more letters than "ppl". Don't be grammatically lazy when making statements about others' laziness! :rolleyes: (fixed it...haha)

Last edited: