New Curriculum at NYU...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Diezel69x

The Oral Pathologist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Did any one of you hear anything about the new program that NYU is going to start next year? I know few people that interviewed recently but they did not say anything about it. My other friend is a student and the faculty is talking about it. They are planing to combine all the science classes into one and give one big test at the end. DId anyone hear anything about it? I guess they're trying to prepare students for the boards or something...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! Did any one of you hear anything about the new program that NYU is going to start next year? I know few people that interviewed recently but they did not say anything about it. My other friend is a student and the faculty is talking about it. They are planing to combine all the science classes into one and give one big test at the end. DId anyone hear anything about it? I guess they're trying to prepare students for the boards or something...

sounds like what they do in Europe and Asia now

sounds like an intergrated medical science track, like they have at U of M or Columbia. it's a smart decision if you ask me, as now the boards have changed. the boards are no longer broken up into sections, but it's just one comprehensive test. they're also adding more case based questions on the boards, so you pbl guys are fortunate. i'm sure it just one of the many things nyu is trying to do to improve students boards. see, they do care about the students!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, i cant believe anyone thinks that this is a good thing. I always new that i was not going to go anywhere else besides NYU, especially that most of my frineds are there, but after i heard this i really started to reconsider. This might be a good thing but not in NYU. They dont really tolerate failures, and expell a LOT of students, I personaly think that there is a much greater chance to fail a test likethat rather than many small exams in each class, i mean this is like taking another DAT at the end of every semester. One of the professors told a student there that "they are really lucky because they've missed this..."
I hope that this is not true and i wanna see what other peole know about this.

well, ok then. it just seems to me that nyu is adopting a policy to make more students successful on the boards. it's out of interest for students. sure it may be a little more difficult, but you will be more prepared for boards, not to mention a better overall scientist. in real life, you can't just look at biochemistry or just histology, the body is an interconnected system, and you need to be able to think that way as a dentist. so i still think it's good thing. i highly doubt they are gonna fail more students based on this curriculum alone. i actually wish my schools had this type of curriculum, but oh well.

hmm, sounds interesting, I think it depends on how they run the program!I think it might be really helpful!

Haven't heard anything about this. However, from what you described, it sounds like a block curriculum. This can mean that rather than having separate subjects, as someone mentioned, like histology, biochem, pathology, physiology, etc, it will be something like GI, renal, cardio, etc.

And for the last time, NYU doesn't try to fail people out. In fact, they work with struggling students to try and help them back up to a satisfactory level -- you get a couple of chances including summer remedial if you need it. If you can't do it though then you're gone. On average, NYU's attrition RATE is right on par with other schools.

But if you're afraid of doing work, why are you considering dental school? Go sell shoes or something.

And for the last time, NYU doesn't try to fail people out. In fact, they work with struggling students to try and help them back up to a satisfactory level -- you get a couple of chances including summer remedial if you need it. If you can't do it though then you're gone. On average, NYU's attrition RATE is right on par with other schools.

But if you're afraid of doing work, why are you considering dental school? Go sell shoes or something.

lol, looks like you see NYU through "pink" glasses, when i say that it expells lots of people i dont mean that they give too much work, so selling shoes is not a better option. BTW if you didnt know, they let you retake classes only if you failed one and if you failed more that that they let you start the second semester and then expell you so you cant get your refund... you'll see for yourself next year. And btw BTW i am not trying to talk **** about the school, it has many good sides too but what is true is true.

hmm, sounds interesting, I think it depends on how they run the program!I think it might be really helpful!

I agree! (actually I don't!)