New Curriculum At TU-COM announced yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shanageena

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I was just wondering if Touro, Mare Island has announced its new curriculum yet.
Thanks in advance!
Shanageena

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I don't think so. They haven't even set their schedule for next year. I was told late July or early August for the first day but after probing further was told that they can't say for sure now because they have to wait on final calendar approval from TU in NY. She said most likely Aug 3-4th similar to last year, but no definite. The difference b/w July or August even if its only a week or two is a big deal for most with busy lives that are moving etc.

I think right now they are working to solidify the class and that will continue after the May 15th U-can-only-hold-one-spot thing. Then they give us passwords for the blackboard.

A more direct answer/guestimation is that they don't want to change the focus for prospective or accepted students because partial info can very often be wrong info.

I was accepted at Western and they gave an indepth demo on their new curr. that was started last year I think...very impressive.

But I chose Touro and am sure it will be equally as impressive. I don't think Western made any major drastic changes from the 1st to 2nd year, but they did poll the students and make adjustments based on what the students thought the new curr. needed. I'm sure Touro will do similar.

I'm not worried but I don't think they'll really get into too much detail until we're in orientation to prevent misinformation from swirling around on SD.

I would just call Dr. Haight. I'm sure he'll let you know or at least assure you.

sarah
TUCOM

The (possibly final?) word through the grapevine is that August 7th 2006 has been selected as the first day of school. At least, that's the case for the (upcoming) second-years... and I'd assume you'll be in the same boat. Orientation would be the previous week.

On the curriculum issue, I don't get the feeling anyone at TUCOM believes reform is a pressing need. TUCOM students score above average on COMLEX, and no one believe the current system is "broken" by any stretch of the imagination. For that reason alone, they're going to take their time considering the new reformed curriculum. It has to be a consensus that it will represent a dramatic improvement before they'll risk replacing a perfectly functional system.

The current TUCOM curriculum is discussed in detail on the new website, in case you haven't seen this yet:
http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=43&page=57

Members don't see this ad :)
heech said:
The (possibly final?) word through the grapevine is that August 7th 2006 has been selected as the first day of school. At least, that's the case for the (upcoming) second-years... and I'd assume you'll be in the same boat. Orientation would be the previous week.

On the curriculum issue, I don't get the feeling anyone at TUCOM believes reform is a pressing need. TUCOM students score above average on COMLEX, and no one believe the current system is "broken" by any stretch of the imagination. For that reason alone, they're going to take their time considering the new reformed curriculum. It has to be a consensus that it will represent a dramatic improvement before they'll risk replacing a perfectly functional system.

The current TUCOM curriculum is discussed in detail on the new website, in case you haven't seen this yet:
http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=43&page=57

Touro is planning on having a new curriculum...it will start with making the campus wireless and requiring laptops. In the past, they have said they would get wireless, but we had a curriculum meeting and they announced the new changes.

Like all schools, touro has weaknesses as well and the changes are trying to improve in the weak aspects of touro. Word is that they are going to a systems based course. And yes the 2nd years are starting class on August 7th, so your orientation will be the week before. Once the class is finalized you will get emails from the school. Touro will be ending interviews the end of this month. Once that is all done you guys will get all the necessary info such as orientation, immunizations, and so forth. Also, the 2nd years will send you info on how to get a big sib and info on places to live.

So as far as you know...will the class of class of 2010 be like the current pharmD class....wireless and laptops

and thanks for all the info!

optimusprime03 said:
Touro is planning on having a new curriculum...it will start with making the campus wireless and requiring laptops. In the past, they have said they would get wireless, but we had a curriculum meeting and they announced the new changes.

Like all schools, touro has weaknesses as well and the changes are trying to improve in the weak aspects of touro. Word is that they are going to a systems based course. And yes the 2nd years are starting class on August 7th, so your orientation will be the week before. Once the class is finalized you will get emails from the school. Touro will be ending interviews the end of this month. Once that is all done you guys will get all the necessary info such as orientation, immunizations, and so forth. Also, the 2nd years will send you info on how to get a big sib and info on places to live.