New Dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polkadds

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being from Utah, I've been watching the several different rumors of Dental schools in our state, develop over the past couple months. University of S. Nevada finally issued an "official statement" on their standing for a Dental school.

http://www.usn.edu/spotlight/detail/-1300-DMD/

My incredibly reliable source seems to think that USN creating a dental school by 2011 is a long shot, but that is their plan. Initial numbers are a class of 100 with no in-state/out of state preference and tuition around $60K p/y.

There is also talk of yet another school in the state that may or may not be state sponsored and will admit their 1st class in 2011 also. It seems this school is much further along the process (accreditation, funding, faculty, etc...) than USN, and is just awaiting final approval from the legislature. There is nothing "official" on this yet so I won't say anything else until it is public information.

Mainly, this is incredibly exciting news for those that are applying starting in the 2011 cycle. This means possibly 2 extra schools to put on your list of considerations come next cycle. Who knows, there may be more that are just as far along in the process and not making it public. We can only keep our fingers crossed that this works out for any schools going through the process now.

Members don't see this ad.

I kind of find it hard to believe there is a secret school in the works. You have anything real to back that up?

There are constant rumors in North Carolina that East Carolina University is desperately seeking the funds to start a dental school. Not enough dentists in rural areas... It was supposed to be established and accredited in 2011; not going to happen...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I understand that rumors get started, but I have seen no evidence of a 2nd school in Utah. I know of several people that are applying for teaching positions at USN, and none of them have heard a legitimate rumor of a second school. If a second school was in the works that was much further ahead in funding and faculty, you would think the local science/dental community would know something about it.

There are constant rumors in North Carolina that East Carolina University is desperately seeking the funds to start a dental school. Not enough dentists in rural areas... It was supposed to be established and accredited in 2011; not going to happen...
Here is the ECU website they will be taking apps next summer.

I understand that rumors get started, but I have seen no evidence of a 2nd school in Utah. I know of several people that are applying for teaching positions at USN, and none of them have heard a legitimate rumor of a second school. If a second school was in the works that was much further ahead in funding and faculty, you would think the local science/dental community would know something about it.

Blarelli, I don't know if you're trying to call me out or what, but I'm just trying to spread information. No, other than a high ranking UDA individual that I know, I don't have anything to back up my claims. And that is the exact reason I'm not going into any detail... they are just that, Claims!

That's great to see that ECU is heading forward, I'm excited to see more schools opening their doors. Any word on their class size? and in state/oos seats?

Having 1 dental school in Utah is already a horrible idea, but having 2?? There's already a dentist office in every shopping center and every street corner in Utah, it's a ridiculous idea to have any schools at all. Get those sheltered Utah natives (no offense intended, it's true though) out of their magical bubble and into a state that isn't all rainbows and cinnamon rolls.

Blarelli, I don't know if you're trying to call me out or what, but I'm just trying to spread information. No, other than a high ranking UDA individual that I know, I don't have anything to back up my claims. And that is the exact reason I'm not going into any detail... they are just that, Claims!

That's great to see that ECU is heading forward, I'm excited to see more schools opening their doors. Any word on their class size? and in state/oos seats?

I'm not trying to call anybody out, and I'm sorry if I came across as argumentative. A state dental school has been rumored for so long (or even private at the Y) that I just don't care to hear it anymore unless there is something to back it up. The last time I asked a UDA official about it the response he gave was that it was very expensive, and the funding was probably not justifiable because of the patient to dentist ratio experienced in most parts of the state.

double post

Last edited:
I had heard that Univ of Utah was going to attempt to block USN, and open one of their own. The state probably would prefer this over continuing their subsidization of utah residents at other schools.

It may be beneficial for there to be more positions available whilst you are applying, however once you enter practice, you will not want an additional 200 recent graduates entering the field every year. Especially in these economic times while many senior dentists who would have retired are not and patients are utilizing dental services less and less frequently.

Having 1 dental school in Utah is already a horrible idea, but having 2?? There's already a dentist office in every shopping center and every street corner in Utah, it's a ridiculous idea to have any schools at all. Get those sheltered Utah natives (no offense intended, it's true though) out of their magical bubble and into a state that isn't all rainbows and cinnamon rolls.

Haha, rainbows and cinnamon rolls, I haven't heard that reference before but I like it, although we're not ALL rainbows yet (sure seems to be going that way, if ya know what I mean)

Although I fully agree with you, (both that there are too many dentists here, and people are very sheltered) it would sure be nice for Utah students to have a tuition break instead of paying out of state tuition anywhere we go. Although USN wouldn't really help with this aspect, if the other school ends up getting state sponsorship that would be incredibly nice.

I'm not trying to call anybody out, and I'm sorry if I came across as argumentative. A state dental school has been rumored for so long (or even private at the Y) that I just don't care to hear it anymore unless there is something to back it up. The last time I asked a UDA official about it the response he gave was that it was very expensive, and the funding was probably not justifiable because of the patient to dentist ratio experienced in most parts of the state.

Understood, no problem. I know what ya mean about the rumors though. They have been flying around a lot. I wouldn't believe them if they weren't coming from who they were. I'll keep ya posted though if I hear anything "official" so we can finally put these rumors to rest.

I've read that Texas Tech HSC in El Paso is considering opening up a dental school. This would be awesome. :D

Haha, rainbows and cinnamon rolls, I haven't heard that reference before but I like it, although we're not ALL rainbows yet (sure seems to be going that way, if ya know what I mean)

Although I fully agree with you, (both that there are too many dentists here, and people are very sheltered) it would sure be nice for Utah students to have a tuition break instead of paying out of state tuition anywhere we go. Although USN wouldn't really help with this aspect, if the other school ends up getting state sponsorship that would be incredibly nice.

You do have a good point with the tuition break thing, with the number of predents coming out of Utah they really need some sort of in-state tuition agreement with other schools. There are plenty of schools that have no in state/ out of state tuition distinction, but I guess those same schools are 70K/semester for everyone so it's still not a break.

"rainbows and cinnamon rolls""

I love it lmao

I've read that Texas Tech HSC in El Paso is considering opening up a dental school. This would be awesome. :D

texas tech and el paso.

hmm doesnt sound like a fun place to be at all...

El Paso is not my ideal city but it would add a fourth school for Texas. This means another school with low costs and better odds of being admitted into a Texas dental program.