NEW DO schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromosomeone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Which DO schools are new within the past 5 years? I want to know so I don't apply to them.. if anyone knows, please post! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hahahahahaha. That's funny. LECOM-B just graduated their first class, but they were mothered in by their sister campus LECOM-E, so... open for their 5th year, but a great campus. Other than that, I couldn't tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Which DO schools are new within the past 5 years? I want to know so I don't apply to them.. if anyone knows, please post! Thank you.

Most of your initial questions can be answered here. Consider it your D.O. admissions Bible. It doesn't have everything though, so maybe you should consider it the D.O. version of a pamphlet you get from a missionary trying to convert you.

Try a little SDN internet secret called 'google.' Also, that attitude is foolish. You should check out match lists from TUNV and LECOM-B before you decide that new = bad. Especially because a lot of new DO schools that open, do so with the resources of their well established sister campuses.

** Sorry, double post ... my computer went a little crazy there for a sec.

why stayin away from new school? are they harder to get in? if so, how?

He was joking. He is (and I am) applying to a bunch of the newer schools. Less competition. Nothing wrong with any of the schools.

Woops. Misread. I thought talking about Oglesby. My bad.

People have this perception that new schools are worse for some reason. There is little to no supporting evidence in that direction, but people are generally hesitant to apply to a school that may not have the "kinks" ironed out. I really don't think it is an issue, as most of the kinks are obvious ones and even established schools have very detrimental aspects to receiving an education there. (That is all schools from Harvard to Carribean...no school is perfect)

I don't know why the OP is staying away, but there are generally some concerns people have with a newer school. Sometimes a newer school has not yet been accredited, not allowing their students to receive government financial aid. This forces students to find private loans in order to attend their school. Another reason is that some students feel that the "kinks" have not yet been worked out by passing students, including those in the curriculum and rotation sites. Also, this uneasy feeling can extend to the match list which has not been tested by any graduating class.

These are reasons for someone to not wish to choose a newer school, but do not make one school better/worse than another. When weighing acceptances from one school or another, all facets of both schools should be compared to find out which one will offer you the best education and, ultimately, make you the best physician you can be. If you think about it, all schools were new at some point. Also, as the first or second class (or even the third) through the gates, you have some say in the curriculum and your feedback is often highly regarded and acted upon.

Again, just because one school is new does not make it a worse school than any other school. Any school that is good for you is the best school in the country... for you.

Good luck!

In spite of what the cheerleaders here would like you to believe, your concerns are legit. But you, of course, won't find consolation here. Many here now live for these for obvious reasons.

Talk to your premed advisor about that to get the straight scoop.

lecom-brandelton, AT Still- ARIZONA, touro ny, touro nv, pcom-ga, lmu, pacific northwest and rocky vista are all less than 5 years old

add if i am missing any

In spite of what the cheerleaders here would like you to believe, your concerns are legit. But you, of course, won't find consolation here. Many here now live for these for obvious reasons.

ROFLMAO. Yeah, talk to your pre med adviser about med schools, they will always give good advice. WBDO, honestly you need to chill out. No one here is being over the top positive about new schools. People are just saying that they have their positive and negative attributes and if you don't feel comfortable, don't apply to them. However, people are simply suggesting to check it out and ask questions before completely dismissing a school that could end up being a great fit. You need to remember that these are the pre DO boards, meaning that people here are all applying to DO schools and view osteopathic med schools in a positive light. I haven't seen a single reply that is blindly supportive of diving into a new school you know nothing about, but I don't see another - except for yours - post that completely dismisses them. If you have a problem with people acting positively towards their future as osteopathic medical students, then maybe these aren't the best boards for you.

Keep rolling on the floor Jag. Meanwhile your allopathic counterparts are kicking ass on the mcat.

Can you imagine what it would be like in Jag's shoe's? On here night and day promoting osteopathy like it hasn't been marginalized for the past 120 years?

Go to the well-settled DO schools if you must. Go to the new ones as a last resort.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep rolling on the floor Jag. Meanwhile your allopathic counterparts are kicking ass on the mcat.

Can you imagine what it would be like in Jag's shoe's? On here night and day promoting osteopathy like it hasn't been marginalized for the past 120 years?

Go to the well-settled DO schools if you must. Go to the new ones as a last resort.

Banned.

Probably. That's how it rolls in the pre-DO world.

Sometimes late at night I wonder if there aren't people more like me out there? Those who find medicine fascinating and are willing to go the osteopath route, but fear having to deal with Jagger-like ignorance on a daily basis.

Jagger-like ignorance.

That's kinda catchy. 'Jagger-like ignorance.' I'd be honored to have my SDN name morphed into an everyday phrase. Once again, good luck with the process.

Sometimes late at night I wonder if there aren't people more like me out there? Those who find medicine fascinating and are willing to go the osteopath route, but fear having to deal with Jagger-like ignorance on a daily basis.

If you were really that passionate about medicine, why would having problem with someone deter you? A person like you, will definately run into problems with students no matter where you go

That is not a bright statement

Wow... who pee'd in your post-toasties this morning? Why are you singling out Jagger for whatever pent-up rage you have? Because he doesn't automatically tell all pre-meds to avoid osteopathic med school like the plague you believe it is?

Medical school is medical school. As you so aptly note, we learn medicine from the same textbooks, so in all actuality we learn THE EXACT SAME THING. Why should someone who attends an osteopathic medical school feel bad about anything they do? Because you say so?

I am a graduate of an osteopathic medical school - yes, this makes me a DO. When I applied to medical school, the DO school which I attended was ranked above all the MD schools at which I interviewed - not because it is a DO school, but because I liked it better - the facilities were nicer, the students were more collegial, and because I knew I could achieve my goal either way.

I am now an Emergency medicine resident at an ACGME program. I had > 30 on MCAT and scored in the mid to high 90th percentiles on both USMLE and COMLEX exams.

Point being, the individual is much more important than the school they attend. Granted, I would be leery of the newer schools, especially if they had not graduated a class yet. I feel this way about both MD and DO schools. This is probably just my own personal prejudice, here though, and does not reflect any personal experience with these programs. The AOA does need to do something about the rampant and uncontrolled expansion of schools, especially for-profit schools, which I think is a disgrace to medical education.

Regardless, calm down. Not everyone is going to agree.

Wow... who pee'd in your post-toasties this morning? Why are you singling out Jagger for whatever pent-up rage you have? Because he doesn't automatically tell all pre-meds to avoid osteopathic med school like the plague you believe it is?

Medical school is medical school. As you so aptly note, we learn medicine from the same textbooks, so in all actuality we learn THE EXACT SAME THING. Why should someone who attends an osteopathic medical school feel bad about anything they do? Because you say so?

I am a graduate of an osteopathic medical school - yes, this makes me a DO. When I applied to medical school, the DO school which I attended was ranked above all the MD schools at which I interviewed - not because it is a DO school, but because I liked it better - the facilities were nicer, the students were more collegial, and because I knew I could achieve my goal either way.

I am now an Emergency medicine resident at an ACGME program. I had > 30 on MCAT and scored in the mid to high 90th percentiles on both USMLE and COMLEX exams.

Point being, the individual is much more important than the school they attend. Granted, I would be leery of the newer schools, especially if they had not graduated a class yet. I feel this way about both MD and DO schools. This is probably just my own personal prejudice, here though, and does not reflect any personal experience with these programs. The AOA does need to do something about the rampant and uncontrolled expansion of schools, especially for-profit schools, which I think is a disgrace to medical education.

Regardless, calm down. Not everyone is going to agree.
Wow, really!?! A genuine osteopath? Golly, I thought those were only fictional.

I could care less if the AOA expands schools to the end of the earth. What I'm tired of is the endless "I scored more than 30 on the MCAT, but still didn't make it into an MD school so I, along with Jagger have to pay my dues for the remainder of my professional life and pretend that DO rocks to no end."

Save it. It's pathetic. And it'll only find sympathy in the pre-DO forum.

Maybe you didn't read the post - I had stats a-plenty to go to an allopathic med school, but chose an osteopathic school.

Sounds like you are a little bitter because your stats aren't good enough to get into an allopathic school and now you're being forced to look at DO schools as a backup and are having to come to grips with your inadequacies. Maybe mom or dad is an MD and they are disappointed in your inability to be an MD like them?

Come on, what is it? Why so bitter? Why are you displacing your anger on others?

OP, don't forget to ask about the new allo schools if you don't want to apply to new schools. There are a bunch of them either already open or in the works.

Shamelessly copied from this thread (and many thanks to MacGyver):
NEW MEDICAL SCHOOLS/BRANCH CAMPUSES THAT HAVE OFFICIALLY OPENED

MD - University of Hawaii-Kakaako - 2006
DO - Touro/Las Vegas - 2005
DO - PCOM/Atlanta - 2005
MD - University of Miami/FAU joint program - 2004
MD - Cleveland Clinic/Lerner - 2004
DO - LECOM/Bradenton - 2004
MD - Florida State University - 2002
DO - VCOM - 2002
DO - Rocky Vista University COM - 2008 (first class being accepted now)

NEW MEDICAL SCHOOLS THAT WILL OPEN SOON

MD - Florida International Univ - 2008
MD - Univ Central Florida - 2008
MD - Touro/NJ - 2008
DO - Touro (Harlem NY) - 2008
DO - Pacific Northwest (Yakima WA) - 2007
MD - Michigan State University (Grand Rapids MI) - 2008
MD - University of Arizona (Phoenix AZ) - 2007
DO - AT Still University (Mesa AZ) - 2007
DO - Lincoln Memorial/Debusk (Harrogate TN) - 2007
DO - William Carey Univ (Hattiesburg, MS, http://www.wmcarey.edu/asp/viewpr.asp?item=430) - 2009
MD - Commonwealth/Scranton (Scranton, PA, http://physiciansnews.com/spotlight/1006.html)
MD - MCG-UGA/Athens (http://www.uga.edu/news/artman/publi...Building.shtml)

NEW MEDICAL SCHOOLS/BRANCH CAMPUSES THAT ARE IN PLANNING

MD - University of Cal Merced (Merced CA)
MD - University of Cal Riverside (Riverside CA)
MD - Texas Tech - El Paso (El Paso TX)
MD - OHSU (Eugene OR)
DO - MSUCOM (Detroit MI)
DO - Barry University (Miami FL)
MD - CUNY/Hunter College (NY, NY)
MD - Virginia Tech/Carilion (private, Roanoke VA) http://www.carilion.com/ContentStore... Release.pdf
MD/DO - Central Michigan University (http://www.mlive.com/news/sanews/ind...660.xml&coll=9)
MD - Oakland University (Michigan) http://www4.oakland.edu/view_news.aspx?sid=34&id=3803
MD/DO - St Thomas (St Paul MN) http://www.stthomas.edu/bulletin/new...ool5_11_07.cfm
MD - Touro New Jersey http://passaicnews.wordpress.com/200...in-2009-touro/
MD - Hofstra Univ (http://www.hofstra.edu/home/News/Pre...medschool.html)
MD - Mercer/Savannah (http://www2.mercer.edu/News/Articles...hMedSchool.htm)
DO - WesternU COM/Lebanon OR (http://www.gazettetimes.com/articles...1_hospital.txt)
MD - Univ Washington/Spokane (http://depts.washington.edu/mediarel/spokane1.html)
DO - LECOM, Greenburg PA, Seton Hill Univ (http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=acc_predoc)
DO - MSUCOM, Clinton Township MI, Macomb College (http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=acc_predoc)

Edit (6/05/06): BarryU in Miami recently announced plans for a new DO school
Edit (9/14/06): AT Still announced plans to join AOA application cycle
Edit (9/14/06): Lincoln/Debusk announced plans to join AOA application cycle
Edit (9/30/06): CUNY/Hunter announces plans for a new med school in next 5 years
Edit (1/07/07): VT/Carilion announce plans for first privately operated MD school, scheduled for 2010
Edit (04/22/07): CMU announces an initial exploration for a new med school
Edit (07/25/07): ST Thomas announces plans for new med school
Edit (07/28/07): Oakland Univ announces plans for new MD program
Edit (11/17/07): Touro announces plans for new DO program in NJ
Edit (11/27/07): William Carey Univ announces new DO program in MS
Edit (11/28/07): Hofstra Univ announces plans for new MD school (2010 projected start date)
Edit (11/29/07): Commonwealth/Scranton program added, accepting applicants in 2009
Edit (02/08/08): Mercer announces plans for new medical school branch in Savannah
Edit (02/09/08): Western COM announces plans for new DO school in Lebanon, Oregon
Edit (02/09/08): Univ Washington announces plans for new branch campus in Spokane
Edit (02/10/08): MCG and Univ of Georgia announces plans for a new MCG branch campus in Athens.
Edit (05/06/08): 2 new DO campus expansions in planning stages (LECOM Greenburg, MSUCOM Clinton)

OP, don't forget to ask about the new allo schools if you don't want to apply to new schools. There are a bunch of them either already open or in the works.

Heck, I thought the El Paso program was already up and running.. I've been gone too long from Tx, I guess.

Glad to see they are opening more schools back home, though. :thumbup:

Sunofagun that's a lot of new programs, though... Hope we all still have jobs when medicare and all the other private insurers drop rates 10.6% in 4 days. I have a lot of loans to pay off - and I went to a public school. Can't imagine what these private school grads have.

Anyone know if you can go from DO to DNP? This seems to be the wave of the future :rolleyes:

Apparently there is discrepancy about the hawaii school - it's a new campus that it sounds like they moved to, not a new branch/school.

Ya know, if you actually do a count, there are more MD schools/branches opening than DO schools/branches. I had no idea.

Ya know, if you actually do a count, there are more MD schools/branches opening than DO schools/branches. I had no idea.

I just saw this recently and thought it was funny.

Wow this thread really took off while I was at the movies... I went and saw "Wanted," by the way. Absolutely fantastic. It was really well done and I enjoyed myself. Had some good laughs, too. Anyone who likes shoot'em up movies, I would suggest it.

Regardless and back on point: OP, just do some research and find what fits you best. When I applied last year I told my family that the LECOM schools were on the bottom of my list and that I would only go there if I got in nowhere else. After interviewing at LECOM-B, I fell in love. Heck, I fell in love the minute I walked up the facility. The point is, I made all sorts of assumptions before I even arrived at an interview and they were completely wrong. Do yourself a favor and don't listen to the biased advice of SDN and find what works for YOU. That's the only true way that you'll be happy in your medical career.

Good luck!

My goodness. I can only imagine the competition the new guys will face, with so many more applicants for the same number of residency spots.

My goodness. I can only imagine the competition the new guys will face, with so many more applicants for the same number of residency spots.

which is why I'm glad I'll be done with residency before any of these people start hitting the residency pipeline :)

My awesomeness will prevail in the end....and the fact I am slinging some serious pipe.