New EM Program at UT Chattanooga. Anyone Know Anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snelgrave

Snelgrave
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything besides what's on the website? I went to UTC, but now live in Chicago.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know anything besides what's on the website? I went to UTC, but now live in Chicago.

There has not been much discussion of it on here other than the thread about the updated website.

I did a rotation there, Ill make a few comments and please PM me or post something if you have a question that I forgot.

I believe that they are going to take 6 residents per year. They have enough procedures to easily handle that many. They state they have between 80 and 90k visits a year which makes them the busiest in the state of TN. The program director, Dr Creel is a great guy. He has a lot of enthusiasm about the program and was really the one that built it up from the beginning. Hes seems like the ideal guy that would go to bat for any of his "guys". They have recently hired a number of good new faculty from other well known program around the area. They have some other faculty that are great teachers. They were lucky in the fact that many of the faculty there are pretty used to teaching, as medical students have rotated through the ER for quite some time so there should not be any growing pains there. The Dean of the college of medicine, Dr Seaberg, is a well known ER doc. This is the 3rd ER residency that he has been involved in creating.

They have great exposure to hyperbarics, tactical medicine and EMS. They state that EMS is going to be a focus with every resident being greatly exposed. They plan now is to pair each resident with a EMS team they will stick with throughout the 3 years. You will function as a doc in the field also, not just observing the EMS guys. It helps that the program director and one of the faculty are head of both the county and city EMS services. I believe that they will be heading toward a hyperbaric and EMS fellowship in the near future.

If you have never been to Chattanooga, its a smaller city somewhere around 160k. The town is a great place to live. Its cheap and the traffic isnt bad. There are many things to do around town. There are 2 main hospitals with Erlanger handling most of the ER visits. and The hospital serves the surrounding area greatly also, as the next closest level 1 is Vanderbilt. The funny thing is that on my rotation I noticed that many of the helicopters flew into Chattanooga instead of Vanderbilt even though they might have been quite a bit closer to Nashville.

Erlanger is a great place to train. They have a reputation for being a wonderful place that treats their residents VERY well. Unlike many other places I have been, here most all of the services get along quite well, and the trauma surgeons actually smile and are happy to teach.

With great potential, I think that this program has a great future in front of it. The only negatives I think that could be found are the regular growing pains that all new places experience. A couple of the ER docs really are more suited for community practice outside of an academic residency setting. Also, all the university services work well with the new program but there may be a problem as many private physicians admit to Erlanger and many aren't yet used to residents calling them at 2 am from the ER. I don't know yet if it will take a bit of give and take to iron that out.

I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm a resident there and so far love it. I just finished my trauma rotation, which was a busy month but well worth the work. We are a new program and as such things are still fluid. As we work through our rotations things will be reviewed for effectiveness of educational experience. In our first month (orientation) we did work modified shifts in the ED giving us a feel for the computerized medical charting. I haven't been in the department much this month (outside of trauma call) so I can't say solidly what the experience is like yet but you are welcome to pm me with questions.

I'm a resident there and so far love it. I just finished my trauma rotation, which was a busy month but well worth the work. We are a new program and as such things are still fluid. As we work through our rotations things will be reviewed for effectiveness of educational experience. In our first month (orientation) we did work modified shifts in the ED giving us a feel for the computerized medical charting. I haven't been in the department much this month (outside of trauma call) so I can't say solidly what the experience is like yet but you are welcome to pm me with questions.

It sounds like a cool program in a great place. I love the idea of being paired with an EMS team for the three years. Lots of programs give EMS exposure, but not too many actually have you out there working it!

I hope I get to meet you sometime over the course of the interview season. :)

Is there a current resident at UTC that would not mind updating this thread on their program? Would like to see how the program has progressed over the last 3 or so years.

Hi,

I am ex-future Den Mom, AKA Coordinator of the Program. Things are going quite well, we graduated our first class this past June and all have successfully completed Part 1 of the American Board Exam. We had three of the six go into Academics and hear back from them periodically. We have recruited another great class and look forward to growing and getting stronger each year. Please let me know if I can answer any particular questions. A great program in the most scenice city in the Southeast.

Den Mom (Coordinator)