New EM Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to put a word out for my home program. KU Med Center in Kansas City, KS is opening a new EM residency and is accepting applications for 2010. 8 spots are available. The program should show up on ERAS this following week.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a FM resident currently rotating in the ED here and just heard the news. Get those apps in:thumbup:

I wanted to put a word out for my home program. KU Med Center in Kansas City, KS is opening a new EM residency and is accepting applications for 2010. 8 spots are available. The program should show up on ERAS this following week.

Thanks a lot for spreading the word. Did you rotate through the ED? If so, how was your experience? Do you know if there's a website that we can go to to find more information about the program? Thanks and good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that brings the total up to 41 new spots for the coming match:D. best of luck to you all

I'm currently rotating in the ED and am loving it. I don't know of any website talking about the program but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I'll ask the program director for more info.

Email I received from KU:

The ACGME has approved the Kansas University School of Medicine Residency in Emergency Medicine. We are approved for 8 residents a year, with a three year accredudation cycle. We will seat our first class in July 2010. We will accept applicants through the ERAS match.
We were notified on September 28th of the ACGME action. A more general announcement will follow very shortly.

Just a plug for the new SIU program--some of the faculty come from really excellent programs, and they're all incredibly down-to-earth as well. Also, you'll be guaranteed to see some really sick patients at the 2 hospitals affiliated with program. If you're looking to apply in the Midwest, and not scared of being at a brand new program, I'd suggest taking a look.

Just a plug for the new SIU program--some of the faculty come from really excellent programs, and they're all incredibly down-to-earth as well. Also, you'll be guaranteed to see some really sick patients at the 2 hospitals affiliated with program. If you're looking to apply in the Midwest, and not scared of being at a brand new program, I'd suggest taking a look.

I applied...no word yet. I'd love to see what they have planned.

Here's the email I was sent. Note accreditation is spelled correctly.

Golf was just added to the Olympics, and an Emergency Residency Program has been added here at KUMC!

The University of Kansas School of Medicine has received approval from the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) to begin an Emergency Medicine Residency training Program. We are approved for a resident complement of eight residents per year, and our residency will be three years in length. We will begin our first residency class on July 1, 2010. We will participate in ERAS and conduct interviews this fall and winter.

We are proud to join over 40 ACGME accredited residencies and fellowships within the school of medicine. We are excited to begin the journey of preparing tomorrow's practitioners of Emergency Medicine. The academic milieu in our Emergency Department is rich with opportunities for resident training and growth. We have a capable and excited staff who are dedicated to the mission of teaching excellence.

We look forward to applications from interested students.

Sincerely,

David P. Lisbon Jr. M.D.
Assistant Professor
Residency Director
Department of Emergency Medicine

Jeffrey Norvell M.D.
Assistant Professor
Associate program Director
Department of Emergency Medicine