New field of study in audiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biomajor2019

LMU-CVM C/O 2025
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Forgive me, because I am from the pre-veterinary waters of SDN, but something was discussed in my Animal Behavior class that made me curious to ask the audiology field a question!

We were learning about Echolocation and a blind man taught himself echolocation to get around.
I thought this was very interesting, and I was curious if you all thought this would ever be something that would be introduced to the audiology field? A specialty or research?

Forgive me if this was a dumb question, however, I’m very curious to hear how you all feel on it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone! Forgive me, because I am from the pre-veterinary waters of SDN, but something was discussed in my Animal Behavior class that made me curious to ask the audiology field a question!

We were learning about Echolocation and a blind man taught himself echolocation to get around.
I thought this was very interesting, and I was curious if you all thought this would ever be something that would be introduced to the audiology field? A specialty or research?

Forgive me if this was a dumb question, however, I’m very curious to hear how you all feel on it!

Actually hearing science has a lot of research on echolocation and bats. Many hearing scientists (many have their Ph.D in the fields of hearing science) are also audiologists, but function mainly as clinical researchers. There also quite a few who work with dogs and the military for hearing protection for working military dogs.

Also hearing scientists studied bats a lot in the past for military purposes for echolocation and missile research. You can do a pub med search for some of the cold war era papers. Some are quite amazing.

Reactions: 1 user
Actually hearing science has a lot of research on echolocation and bats. Many hearing scientists (many have their Ph.D in the fields of hearing science) are also audiologists, but function mainly as clinical researchers. There also quite a few who work with dogs and the military for hearing protection for working military dogs.

Also hearing scientists studied bats a lot in the past for military purposes for echolocation and missile research. You can do a pub med search for some of the cold war era papers. Some are quite amazing.

That’s so cool! Thank you for replying!