New first year dental students: How are you getting ready for fall?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

msf41

AADSAS = rip off
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all those accepted to start dental school in fall '05:

Congratulations on your acceptances!!! I was just wondering what you are doing to prepare for dental school this fall?

Here's my short list. Somebody tell me if theres something pressing I should be thinking about.

1) fill out fafsa (need parents info also)
2) start looking at housing (planning on moving in late july ~3 wks before classes start)
3) thinking getting ahead on some of the reading (22 credits is a lot of info, so I was thinking to get some of the reading started. Nothing too involved.)

Members don't see this ad.

that pretty much sums up my list too :)

I've already done #1, I'm working on #2, and probably won't do #3. I'm preparing in other ways too: I'm trying to relax and do things I know I won't have time for during the next four years, such as going to Key West and other 'mini' vacations, sleeping in almost every day, and so on. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
When you say you are gonna get a head start on the reading...does that mean that you bought the textbooks already? Thanks.

im to busy trying to graduate to worry about preparing... i guess there will be plenty of time in the summer......

#1 Filling out financial aid forms
#2 Trying to pay off credit card and save money to buy another house
#3 Try to find a place to buy and then move my family (probably kicking, screaming and crying) across the country to move into something 1/2 as big and 60 years older.
#4 I started reading a biochem review book and was board out of my mind after 7 pages, maybe I will try some anatomy.
#5 Start school
#6 Graduate and pass boards
#7 Move back into my current house, replace all flooring, paint and all the other crap the jackass tenants did to it
#8 Start a practice

So that pretty much sums up my 5 year plan.

How exactly are you planning on preparng when we have no idea what they will emphasize in class??

I think I might just enjoy my time before school starts.... I will have PLENTY of time to study then!! I do not want to learn more things than I have too before school starts :D

#1: Fill out UT System Financial Aid Paperwork
#2: Get shot immunizations
#3: Graduate University
#4: Find an apartment near the medical center/downtown
#5: Figure out where going for some summer vacation
#6: Dental school orientation
#7: Dental school...and beyond...can't plan much further than that :) A LOT could happen in four years.

Beach

First thing I did was buy an Xbox (Merry Christmas to me). An from there the list procedes as such:

1) Replace computer. (Check)
2) Take a vacation. (Europe for Spring Break, Check)
3) FAFSA (Check)
4) Loan applications (Pain in the a$$)
5) Find an apartment that I will overpay to live in.
6) Survive the first year and the NBDE1's.

Thats as far as I've gotten. Holy hell... Are we really gonna do this?

I'm liking the idea of a big vacation before starting dental school...Maybe I need to put some thought into that.

And no I don't have the textbooks or have a syllubus right now. But UMKC told me it wouldn't be a problem to get a syllibus from a current student or the instructors. The classes are set so I know what classes I'm taking in the fall already.

#1 Fill out FAFSA (my section is done, just need my parent's info)
#2 File loan applications
#3 Figure out how to get an A in physics when a large part of the grade is the eGrade homework and the eGrade system is even dumber than a cockroach OD'ed on Ecstacy
#4 Obtain NJ residency (driver's lisence et al.) and thereby drop tuition by over $10k
#5 Study a bit? Maybe?
#6 Go to Europe
#7 Move out to the wilds across the Hudson River
#8 D-SCHOOL... and the screen fades to black.

im so freaking jealous it kills me! I have to do all of these things BY JUNE 6th!!! My school starts gross anatomy in the summer!!!! I guess I cant complain because I have been out of school since May '04. :laugh:

1. Try to pass my last few courses while knowing they will have NO bearing on my future.
2. Graduate in June thanks to 1.
3. Vacation in No.Cal. for a week
4. Vacation in Virginia for a week
5. Sleep and watch TV and workout during all other days until 6.
6. Move my arse to NY, bringing suitcases full of the essentials.

Members don't see this ad :)
paolorossifan said:
1. Try to pass my last few courses while knowing they will have NO bearing on my future.

No kidding. It takes all of my strength to open up my textbooks for one more semester. I just have to keep trying to convince myself that I love to learn for the sake of knowledge (yeah right).

#1 find housing. With all the new students arriving in the summer its a good idea to find decent housing early. So I'm planning a trip in March or April to find an apartment and place it on hold until I move. Apparently this is standard practice. But most of the places want a $1000 security deposit. :oops:

I'm also tempted to splurge a little on a nicer place(extra $150-200) since loans will likely pay for it all.....maybe not.

#2 I already had my trip to London and Paris last summer, so I plan to work more as a dental asst., and I would like to find a first year head and neck anatomy book. I plan to study some.

#3 i'm still sitting on my taxes. for no reason. I'm a procrastinator :)

1. File taxes (check)
2. Find a roommate and place to live (check)
3. Fill out Fafsa (almost check)
4. Pay off car loans (almost check)
5. Avoid the mall at all costs this summer keeping in mind I wont need fancy outfits if i'm wearing scubs everday (yay!) :p
6. Save $ for a cruise this summer to celebrate the last summer my girlfriends and I will all spend together
7. workout
8. go on the cruise after a week of working out and fasting :p
9. Try and drag myself to work for the next 3 months till i'm out for summer! :cool:
10. Buy some new kicks to match my scrubs :D

paolorossifan said:
2. Graduate in June thanks to 1.
3. Vacation in No.Cal. for a week
4. Vacation in Virginia for a week
5. Sleep and watch TV and workout during all other days until 6.
6. Move my arse to NY, bringing suitcases full of the essentials.

Hey I thought you were going to deter :rolleyes:
0. fafsa(check)
1. Take investment classes for fun.(check)
2. work out my abs
3. vacation ing...
4. find a roommate, how do I do that :confused: well better figure out which school Im going to first :cool:
5. spend some more time with my old friends if I know I will leave the town, if not I know I will be seeing them for another four years.

get your shots, fill out FAFSA and find somewhere to live. That's pretty much all you need to do.

Studying the texts will be pretty much worthless. I guess if you have nothing else to do go for it, but i strongly doubt it'll help you.

1. Fafsa (check)
2. Other financial forms from the school ( eh in progress?)
3. Drag myself to work until Summer
4. Vacation!
5. Oh yea...immunizations
6. Find place to live (already got a roomie hehe)
7. Get stocked up with caffeine for the academic year

Louisville starts in the summer...July 5th! So I only have until then to get ready! Ahhh!!!

Collecting Teeth
FAFSA/TAXES
Housing (on campus)
Medical Exams
Dental Anatomy Readings on my own
Attending a dental class on campus here -- just sitting in
Also getting my mouth in shape :D.

which dental school have you decided on red823?

Red823 said:
1. Fafsa (check)
4. Vacation!

what dental school are you going red823?

Red823 said:
1. Fafsa (check)
4. Vacation!

Profchaos said:
Hey I thought you were going to deter :rolleyes:
0. fafsa(check)
1. Take investment classes for fun.(check)
2. work out my abs
3. vacation ing...
4. find a roommate, how do I do that :confused: well better figure out which school Im going to first :cool:
5. spend some more time with my old friends if I know I will leave the town, if not I know I will be seeing them for another four years.

what investment classes?

rocknightmare said:
what investment classes?

Money investment, like stock, bond, mutual fund, real estate...etc I have plan out for 10 years from now, when I make reasonable amount money, how I can let the snow ball grow.