New GI bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's the $1,000,000 question. We just don't know. The VA website alludes to paying the whole cost of medical tuition, up to the in-state tuition rate, that is.

Here is the link:
and again here:

There is some more information above under post #24 from the legislation itself.

I read an internal document that stated the new GI Bill would only pay up to the highest "undergraduate" rate. The website is ambiguous and I've lost faith in the people that answer the phones many years ago. I think the ambiguity means it will be up to the VA to interpret the legislation. Although the program's funding is already approved, it will likely fall short of being able to cover our med school expenses so I'm betting on an "undergraduate rate" entitlement.

Yeah, that's what I kind of figured. It would be too good to be true huh? And then they would probably lose all of their prior service HPSP applicants huh? I still have a year before I actually go back to school, so maybe there will be better info by then. Thanks tho!

Members don't see this ad.

So I have been trying to decide if I should wait for the new gibill or continue using the current GIbill.

Currently I have 18 months and some days left on my gibill. I get just over $1400/mo as is. What I have been trying to figure out is if the new gibill will land me as much money as I am getting now.

I looked up what an E5 with dependents in my zip code would be entitled to and it was $1285. Other then the BAH is their anything else that is used for determining how much money I will recieve personally. I am not talking about the money used for tuition or books.

If I am understanding everything correctly, I am making more now then I will come next August, but the only difference being that next August I wouldnt have to take out student loans.

Let me know if I am totally off base here.

THanks

Correct me if i'm wrong, but we don't get any "back pay" for GI Bill months already used, right?

I've used about 28 months of my GI Bill going to a private school and my $1600/month didn't even almost cover my tuition alone let alone living expenses. I've slowly chewed my savings down to zero and racked up a fair amount of debt. Seems just a little unfair that those of us that have used a majority of our GI Bill get screwed out of its intention. It seems like all post-9/11 vets should have the exact same educational benefits regardless of when we began to use our GI Bill.

I hope I'm just wrong or that the bill gets amended a little.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if i'm wrong, but we don't get any "back pay" for GI Bill months already used, right?

I've used about 28 months of my GI Bill going to a private school and my $1600/month didn't even almost cover my tuition alone let alone living expenses. I've slowly chewed my savings down to zero and racked up a fair amount of debt. Seems just a little unfair that those of us that have used a majority of our GI Bill get screwed out of its intention. It seems like all post-9/11 vets should have the exact same educational benefits regardless of when we began to use our GI Bill.

I hope I'm just wrong or that the bill gets amended a little.
Yeah, I know it sucks, but they really aren't backpaying at all. I'd love to tell you otherwise, but all of the info I've seen on it is pretty clear that the new GI Bill will only be in effect for new classes taken starting 1 AUG 09. And in regards to the post above that, BAH and the book money is the only money you recieve personally. The rest of it is paid directly to your school. So yes, you would be getting a little less money personally, but your tuition would be paid in full. So, your in-pocket money would be lower, but the overall value of what you're getting is MUCH higher.

So I have been trying to decide if I should wait for the new gibill or continue using the current GIbill.

Currently I have 18 months and some days left on my gibill. I get just over $1400/mo as is. What I have been trying to figure out is if the new gibill will land me as much money as I am getting now.

I looked up what an E5 with dependents in my zip code would be entitled to and it was $1285. Other then the BAH is their anything else that is used for determining how much money I will recieve personally. I am not talking about the money used for tuition or books.

If I am understanding everything correctly, I am making more now then I will come next August, but the only difference being that next August I wouldnt have to take out student loans.

Let me know if I am totally off base here.

THanks

I guess it depends on how you're paying for your tuition now. If you already have a free ride scholarship or go to a supercheap school, you won't be getting as much money from the new GI Bill.
But, if you're (like me) going to an expensive school without scholarships, the new GI Bill is a huge boon, freeing up Stafford money that's currently being used on tuition that could be going to cover cost of living.
Personally, when the new bill goes into effect it's going to save me about 15k a year even though my BAH here is only 875.

Does anyone know how residents will be affected? You could pull in a nice monthly on the old GI Bill, but how will it work with this one? Will you be eligible for the E5 BAH while in residency?

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone really has the answers yet. The veteran's office at my university said to ask again during the school year. As the cutover date approaches more information will be available...

Does anyone know how residents will be affected? You could pull in a nice monthly on the old GI Bill, but how will it work with this one? Will you be eligible for the E5 BAH while in residency?

The approved programs, etc... are identical to the old GI Bill with only a few changes. If your residency is an approved program then you should be able to pull in E5 BAH but I doubt they'll give you anything for tuition. Electing to continue receiving the "old" GI Bill will likely be more profitable in this situation.

Of course, getting benefits for residency is a tricky thing because the program needs to be approved by the state approving agency before the VA will recognize it. In California the agency is CSAAVE (google it, it will come up) and it can take months upon months to get a new program approved. They can, however, backdate the approval for one year when they get the paperwork processed so you wouldn't be SOL, just short on cash for a while. I would imagine that many residencies aren't approved as most veterans don't attend med school let alone have any remaining entitlement by that point in their education [total speculation as I don't know].

Does anyone know anything about the new transferability to spouses? I am planning to use it as a spouse. The only thing I've seen is that the living stipend is not available to spouse. I wonder about the book stipend...and everything else...like is it working? Are the schools ready to apply it? Do we just go to the financial aid office and say, "Hi, I would like to use my spouse's GI Bill?"
Thanks for any help!

Does anyone know anything about the new transferability to spouses? I am planning to use it as a spouse. The only thing I've seen is that the living stipend is not available to spouse. I wonder about the book stipend...and everything else...like is it working? Are the schools ready to apply it? Do we just go to the financial aid office and say, "Hi, I would like to use my spouse's GI Bill?"
Thanks for any help!

http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Transfer.htm

Spouse are NOT eligible for the books or supplies stipend from what the VA webpage states. I believe you fill out an application on the link I posted above for tranferability of benefits.

Yeah for new GI Bill!!!