New grad acute care

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTLRM

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a new graduate physical therapist working in a kn acute care physical therapy setting at a large hospital. This is my first week and I am very overwhelmed. I feel like I know nothing and the other therapists might think I don't have a good education. I am very overwhelmed..any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

The best education in the world won't make you feel completely prepared, but as Charlie Munger said, "step by step you get ahead, not necessarily in fast spurts." Learn something new everyday, don't repeat the mistakes you made, and try to become a better clinician every day. In six months you'll be a pro.

I'm in acute care right now and it can be overwhelming, with all the complicated patients, the lines, the medications, the noise, etc. Whatever you do, don't harm your patients, and if in doubt, don't do it, or ask for help.

Hey PTLRM! I know the feeling. Honestly, you're a new grad...don't sweat this feeling. It's the last lovely feeling of student anxiety, and it might last for a year or two.

I never expected the new grads to know everything when I was working in acute! I always appreciated people asking questions. As long as you're safe and don't do anything that could harm a patient, you're just where the rest of us where as new grads. Exceptions, of course, would be new grad PTs who had really strong acute clinicals. I had no acute clinicals, so I felt like a total booger eatin' ***** when I first started :)

As far as safety goes, don't worry about productivity, looking competant, or pleasing nurses/doctors. Worry about your patients right now. Take the time to check H&H and blood pressure before you get patients up. Watch your patients' heart rates when you ambulate them. Ask nurses if there's any reason not to see patients. Always get help for patients that aren't straightforward "walkie talkies." PM me if you ever have questions!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey PTLRM! I know the feeling. Honestly, you're a new grad...don't sweat this feeling. It's the last lovely feeling of student anxiety, and it might last for a year or two.

I never expected the new grads to know everything when I was working in acute! I always appreciated people asking questions. As long as you're safe and don't do anything that could harm a patient, you're just where the rest of us where as new grads. Exceptions, of course, would be new grad PTs who had really strong acute clinicals. I had no acute clinicals, so I felt like a total booger eatin' ***** when I first started :)

As far as safety goes, don't worry about productivity, looking competant, or pleasing nurses/doctors. Worry about your patients right now. Take the time to check H&H and blood pressure before you get patients up. Watch your patients' heart rates when you ambulate them. Ask nurses if there's any reason not to see patients. Always get help for patients that aren't straightforward "walkie talkies." PM me if you ever have questions!!!

One more thing...if your facility allows you to co-treat, find a trusted OT and confide in them that you're nervous. See if you can co-treat together a few times until you feel more comfortable. Good luck! And I meant "were," not "where" up there in the 2nd paragraph ;)

One more thing...if your facility allows you to co-treat, find a trusted OT and confide in them that you're nervous. See if you can co-treat together a few times until you feel more comfortable. Good luck! And I meant "were," not "where" up there in the 2nd paragraph ;)

Thank you so much! I have started to feel more comfortable and it helps to know this is a normal feeling. I hope this truly is the last bout of 'student anxiety'!!!
One last question..how to do you feel completely confident in the discharge decision of patients?

Hi there! I'm glad you're feeling more comfortable :) Did you wind up getting that job or a different one? Are you in acute? Honestly, it's often hard to feel 100% confident. I just tell myself I'm a human being and I'm doing the best that I can to ensure that the patients are going where they feel safe. Also, you can try to familiarize yourself with acute inpatient rehab admission criteria. Generally, that's where I felt the worst as an acute PT...when I realized too late that a patient was a good candidate for rehab vs. SNF and I hadn't made that recommendation...

First rule of acute care: do no harm. If in doubt, don't do it, or ask for help. Compromising your patients safety is never worth the potential benefit of an intervention. Be slow, be deliberate, and pay attention at all times. Oh, and don't forget the call bell.

Reactions: 2 users