New grad - ask me anything!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nd_dpt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated this August and have started my first job as a PT. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated this August and have started my first job as a PT. Feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

I'll ask what everyone else is thinking, starting salary for a new PT grad?

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on completing your PT program! I would like to know your starting salary, the setting you work in. Your experience in PT school (which year was the hardest/easiest, clinical experiences, etc). How ready do you feel entering the workforce? How much in debt are you and how do you plan on handling that? What is your age and where do you see yourself 5 years from now career and personal wise? A lot of questions, I know lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll ask what everyone else is thinking, starting salary for a new PT grad?
Congrats on completing your PT program! I would like to know your starting salary, the setting you work in. Your experience in PT school (which year was the hardest/easiest, clinical experiences, etc). How ready do you feel entering the workforce? How much in debt are you and how do you plan on handling that? What is your age and where do you see yourself 5 years from now career and personal wise? A lot of questions, I know lol
In my area (Dallas, TX), starting salary for new grads is around 67k for outpatient. My job pays on the lower end (63k). It's a clinic I did a rotation at and loved, which is why I was willing to accept a little less. The benefits are also pretty good. I have loans from undergrad, so I'm about 130k in debt. I'm living at home and putting all of my income towards my loans so I can get them paid off completely in about 2-3 years. I know this isn't an option for everyone, but this was definitely the best one for me.
Every year of PT school was difficult in it's own way. First year was hard because you're having to learn a ton of the foundational information, and second year was difficult because you have to recall that information and be able to apply it to a clinical scenario. We only had 8 weeks in the classroom during our 3rd year before going out on rotation for 8 months, so we had to cram a lot of information into a very short amount of time. However, I had the most wonderful classmates and we went to school on an island, so I also had a ton of fun during the program. I had 4 clinical experiences (acute, outpatient, inpatient, sports) and inpatient was by far the most difficult. Part of it was the facility itself and their documentation. The other part was that neuro is just straight up hard when you are learning it as a beginner.
I feel very prepared entering the workforce. My school did a good job teaching me everything I needed to know, but it was my rotations that really made me confident. Returning to a clinic I did a rotation at previously makes it even better.
I just turned 25 this month. In 5 years I want to be working in sports. My last rotation was in a very good sports clinic with professional and collegiate athletes. That is the dream clinic for me! Personally, I figure I'll have a boyfriend by the time I'm 30, but we'll have to wait and see about that lol.

Reactions: 3 users
In my area (Dallas, TX), starting salary for new grads is around 67k for outpatient. My job pays on the lower end (63k). It's a clinic I did a rotation at and loved, which is why I was willing to accept a little less. The benefits are also pretty good. I have loans from undergrad, so I'm about 130k in debt. I'm living at home and putting all of my income towards my loans so I can get them paid off completely in about 2-3 years. I know this isn't an option for everyone, but this was definitely the best one for me.
Every year of PT school was difficult in it's own way. First year was hard because you're having to learn a ton of the foundational information, and second year was difficult because you have to recall that information and be able to apply it to a clinical scenario. We only had 8 weeks in the classroom during our 3rd year before going out on rotation for 8 months, so we had to cram a lot of information into a very short amount of time. However, I had the most wonderful classmates and we went to school on an island, so I also had a ton of fun during the program. I had 4 clinical experiences (acute, outpatient, inpatient, sports) and inpatient was by far the most difficult. Part of it was the facility itself and their documentation. The other part was that neuro is just straight up hard when you are learning it as a beginner.
I feel very prepared entering the workforce. My school did a good job teaching me everything I needed to know, but it was my rotations that really made me confident. Returning to a clinic I did a rotation at previously makes it even better.
I just turned 25 this month. In 5 years I want to be working in sports. My last rotation was in a very good sports clinic with professional and collegiate athletes. That is the dream clinic for me! Personally, I figure I'll have a boyfriend by the time I'm 30, but we'll have to wait and see about that lol.

Thank you for the in depth response! This really helps.

Did you work while you were in school? If so how many hours, where etc?

Did you work while you were in school? If so how many hours, where etc?
I chose not to work. I had a handful of classmates that worked for student life during intramurals, though. I don’t think any of them worked more than 6-8 hours a week during each season. Some of the people in the class below mine babysit occasionally. If you’re going to work, make it something simple with flexible hours. Federal work study is a great program, if available at your school.

How many hours a day you study? How difficult is it to meet the min gpa requirement at your school to be on track for DPT degree you personally? How did you prepare for exams?

How many hours a day you study? How difficult is it to meet the min gpa requirement at your school to be on track for DPT degree you personally? How did you prepare for exams?
I studied about 2-4 hours a day and put in a lot more time on the weekends. My program will dismiss you if you have 2 Cs. I didn’t get any, but you definitely have to work hard for it. To prepare for exams, I typed out the PowerPoints and notes from class into my own words and studied that.

In your program were there any options for paid clinical internships? If so, any tips on finding/getting those?

In your program were there any options for paid clinical internships? If so, any tips on finding/getting those?
There were a very limited amount and they weren't always taking students at the time of the rotation. Ours were just clinics that we had affiliations/contracts with, so I can't necessarily give you the best advice on how to find them. Paid internships are not super common.

I live in the Dallas area as well and I'd prefer to stay in state. Where did you go to school and how much was the tuition there? Also what was your overall and pre-req GPAs?
Thanks!

I live in the Dallas area as well and I'd prefer to stay in state. Where did you go to school and how much was the tuition there? Also what was your overall and pre-req GPAs?
Thanks!
I went to UTMB and would say tuition was ~45k total.
cGPA: 3.73
Prereq: 3.8
Math and science: 3.85
Last 60 hours: 4.0

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice that's one of the schools I'm looking at. Did you get in your first cycle? You happen to remember how much living cost the 3 years you were there?

Nice that's one of the schools I'm looking at. Did you get in your first cycle? You happen to remember how much living cost the 3 years you were there?
I did get in my first try. Rent depends on where you live, but you can easily find a place for $500-700/month.

Hi, finishing up my 2nd year of DPT school (yay!) congrats on the new job! I also will have about $130,000 in loans and am planning on living at home for 2-3 years after I graduate as well, to pay them off, its reassuring to hear someone else has the same plan as me. Do you feel you'll still be able to "have a life" and have some fun while you're paying off all your loans? Or is 100% of your paycheck going to go to your loans?

There is definitely still an opportunity to have fun while paying off loans. My monthly loan payment is about $900. My payback plan (prior to covid reducing my paycheck) was to put $3000-3200 towards loans and $400 towards savings every month. Whatever I had remaining would be used for gas and to treat myself as needed. This would allow me to pay them off in 4-5 years. It's up to you to be responsible about how much you're spending, though. More money towards your loans = quicker payoff.
I highly recommend using fitbux to assist with financial planning after you graduate. They give free financial advice on how to achieve your personal goals and can assist in refinancing as well. They were extremely helpful for me in understanding the payback process.

Reactions: 1 users
What made you decide to apply to PT school in the first place? How did your experience meet/didn't meet some expectations you had coming into PT school in the first place? Was it harder than you expected, especially in comparison to your undergrad classes?

What made you decide to apply to PT school in the first place? How did your experience meet/didn't meet some expectations you had coming into PT school in the first place? Was it harder than you expected, especially in comparison to your undergrad classes?
I knew I wanted to become a PT after my first session for a shoulder injury when I was 13. I was blown away at how someone could facilitate healing with just their hands and some exercises. I think most of us would say that the main shortcoming for our line of work is salary and the debt to income ratio. I didn't become a PT for the money, though, and working in this field has been just as satisfying as I had imagined it would be.
PT school was definitely more challenging than undergrad in my opinion. You're learning a lot more information and are expected to do so in a shorter amount of time. You may also need to make adjustments in your study habits/methods because what worked for you in undergrad may not be as efficient or effective in grad school. As long as you stay on top of your work, you should be just fine.

There is definitely still an opportunity to have fun while paying off loans. My monthly loan payment is about $900. My payback plan (prior to covid reducing my paycheck) was to put $3000-3200 towards loans and $400 towards savings every month. Whatever I had remaining would be used for gas and to treat myself as needed. This would allow me to pay them off in 4-5 years. It's up to you to be responsible about how much you're spending, though. More money towards your loans = quicker payoff.
I highly recommend using fitbux to assist with financial planning after you graduate. They give free financial advice on how to achieve your personal goals and can assist in refinancing as well. They were extremely helpful for me in understanding the payback process.
Thank you so much! This has relieved some stress about my financial future right out of school. And I will definitely look into Fitbux

Hi thank you so much for posting on here! I am a current first year student that is about to go into my first clinical in June (OP ortho). I was wondering if you have any advice for heading into my first clinical? I am super nervous, but very excited. :) Thank you!!

This is such a dumb question lol, but how should I dress for actual classes? I’m starting my first year this fall, and I’m not sure if I’m expected to wear business casual to class every day, or if like jeans and decent shirts are appropriate.

Hi thank you so much for posting on here! I am a current first year student that is about to go into my first clinical in June (OP ortho). I was wondering if you have any advice for heading into my first clinical? I am super nervous, but very excited. :) Thank you!!
I think it's important to understand that you may struggle a little bit initially during your first rotation, which is okay. You're having to apply everything you've been taught to an actual, real-life patient, using clinical reasoning and problem solving to figure out how to best help them. Know that you will improve with time. Begin by sharing your weaknesses and/or areas you want to specifically improve on with your CI (ex. treating the cervical spine, how to progress exercises, working with post-op patients, etc.). Tell them how you learn best as well. For example, I told my CIs that it helped me to be able to watch them demonstrate manual techniques prior to me performing them so I could see how they were done properly. Don't be afraid to ask your CI questions, no matter how silly they may seem. They are there to help you learn and grow and are happy to answer anything you may inquire about. Also try to spend time with other therapists in the clinic so you can see a variety of treatment approaches. It may be helpful to keep a small notebook with you so you can write down tips and tricks along the way throughout your rotation. Overall, the main thing I learned as a student and watching students now as a therapist is that confidence is key. Be confident in your decision making and when talking with patients. Some of the best advice I got from a CI was to fake it if you needed to, because nothing will make a patient question working with you more than a lack of confidence. You're going to do just fine and you will learn a lot along the way. Enjoy the ride!

This is such a dumb question lol, but how should I dress for actual classes? I’m starting my first year this fall, and I’m not sure if I’m expected to wear business casual to class every day, or if like jeans and decent shirts are appropriate.
Fair question! Lectures are usually very laid back. You can pretty much wear whatever you want (jeans, shorts, leggings, sweatpants, etc.). Guest speakers usually calls for clinic attire, meaning polo and khakis. For labs, you will need loose fitting athletic clothing. A t shirt, sports bra, and shorts/leggings is preferred.

Fair question! Lectures are usually very laid back. You can pretty much wear whatever you want (jeans, shorts, leggings, sweatpants, etc.). Guest speakers usually calls for clinic attire, meaning polo and khakis. For labs, you will need loose fitting athletic clothing. A t shirt, sports bra, and shorts/leggings is preferred.
Huh, weird... I actually thought grad schools in general expected a bit more professionalism when it comes to attire. I mean, I'm all for casual, but I usually start off professional and then scale back my effort depending on the expectations I discover.

Huh, weird... I actually thought grad schools in general expected a bit more professionalism when it comes to attire. I mean, I'm all for casual, but I usually start off professional and then scale back my effort depending on the expectations I discover.
I have heard of a couple schools that mandate professional dress on a daily basis, but otherwise, casual is usually the norm. You may be asked to dress professionally for guest speakers, community patients, and practical exams. And "lab clothes" for labs.

I have heard of a couple schools that mandate professional dress on a daily basis, but otherwise, casual is usually the norm. You may be asked to dress professionally for guest speakers, community patients, and practical exams. And "lab clothes" for labs.
Gotcha. I think my school may be one of those that expects more professional dress. I guess I'll find out when we finally meet in person! haha

Hi, was wondering what it was like in Your DPT program in terms of writing papers/research papers/evidence based papers? Did you receive assistance from the faculty? Was it your first time writing such papers or did you have experience in undergrad? Did they walk you through what was expected or expect you to know from the onset?

I wore sweatshirts and leggings/sweatpants all through DPT coursework, except for presentations and guest speakers. My master's program (different school) didn't have a dress code either. However, we have a PA program and they are required to wear business attire at all times. I think the first week we all dressed up, despite being told that we did not have a dress code, and then quickly gave up on that.

I really appreciate the fact that your taking time to help students with questions! So awesome of you. I just recently got accepted, I was wondering what your opinion on buying books are. Many of the required books for my program are accessible as ebooks at our library. Do you recommend still buying the hard copies?

Hi, was wondering what it was like in Your DPT program in terms of writing papers/research papers/evidence based papers? Did you receive assistance from the faculty? Was it your first time writing such papers or did you have experience in undergrad? Did they walk you through what was expected or expect you to know from the onset?
We didn't write a ton of papers throughout our program. The ones that were class assignments weren't all too different from papers you would write in undergrad. We did have to complete a case report for our final project, which was my first time writing this kind of paper. We had faculty members that served as mentors, reviewing our work and giving suggestions/advice throughout the entire process. We had several classes with our librarians at the end of our first year where they showed us how to utilize databases for research purposes, which came in handy during the duration of our program and when working on our final case report. I wouldn't stress too much about having to write papers in PT school. Your research/EBP class will cover it.

I really appreciate the fact that your taking time to help students with questions! So awesome of you. I just recently got accepted, I was wondering what your opinion on buying books are. Many of the required books for my program are accessible as ebooks at our library. Do you recommend still buying the hard copies?
Happy to help! I didn't buy 90% of the books. Most people will never look at them after graduating. There are some books that you may use several times throughout your curriculum for various classes, though, which may end up being more cost effective to buy vs. rent (especially if they aren't accessible through the library). The 2nd or 3rd years in your program can give you some insight on which books this may include. If you feel as through you still need a hard copy in front of you to learn or they end up not being accessible from the library, I personally recommend to just rent them.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi. I was wondering how in detail you needed to know the innervations and origins. I'm trying to review some stuff since I have a lot of free time, and I was wondering if you needed to memorize exactly where their attached. For example, the gluteus muscles attach from the pelvis to the greater trochanter, did you need to know exactly where on the pelvis and exactly where on the GT?

Exactly where- what process of the bone. Innervations need to be specific branch of peripheral nerves and nerve roots (like C5-C7).

• Wow
Hi! I've noticed that a lot of programs require general psychology as a pre-req. My AP psychology score from highschool allowed me to test out of this class and shows as an "S" on my transcript. Will PT programs also accept this credit? Or should I take general psychology as a true college course?

- any advice is appreciated!! :)

Hi! I've noticed that a lot of programs require general psychology as a pre-req. My AP psychology score from highschool allowed me to test out of this class and shows as an "S" on my transcript. Will PT programs also accept this credit? Or should I take general psychology as a true college course?

- any advice is appreciated!! :)
You'll have to ask each school individually what they require - it won't be a blanket policy across all programs.

Hey in terms of laptops and tablets do you recommend purchasing both? especially since most programs are going online now. Also what did you find difficult your first year? Further, how did you adjust ?

thanks