Employment & Professional Networking New grad in need of job advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlady1985

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if others on here think it would be ok for a new grad to take on a home health (adults) job. I love working with older people and really enjoyed my FWII at a SNF, but a few things are drawing me away from that setting. I am pregnant and due in early July, and have struggled with c diff since FWII (was probably exposed at SNF). It has made this pregnancy complicated, and I am still getting treatment for it to try and ensure no more reoccurrences (I am not actively infected at this time). So I am scared to work in a setting where I would again be working closely with patients with C diff while I am still pregnant. I also am not a fan of having to work weekends and holidays, which it seems most SNFs require of new grads. I also worked for several years before grad school doing home visits in geriatrics , so I have some experience in home health although not OT. I think home health would allow me to work with elderly and also seems to have more flexible scheduling available. However I remember professors at our school talking about how as a new grad it was a bad idea because of zero mentorship. I would love any advice on this from anyone who currently works in home health or has in the past as an OT. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't risk it if you are pregnant (but I am a dude haha).

I used to be a MA for a couple of years to a doc who did home visits, depending on what type of areas you will be sent to, many were on the unhygienic side. But then again I have been urinated on a couple of times in SNFs.

You could go along with an OT if the agency has one to observe how they do home visits....just an idea...

I am wondering if others on here think it would be ok for a new grad to take on a home health (adults) job. I love working with older people and really enjoyed my FWII at a SNF, but a few things are drawing me away from that setting. I am pregnant and due in early July, and have struggled with c diff since FWII (was probably exposed at SNF). It has made this pregnancy complicated, and I am still getting treatment for it to try and ensure no more reoccurrences (I am not actively infected at this time). So I am scared to work in a setting where I would again be working closely with patients with C diff while I am still pregnant. I also am not a fan of having to work weekends and holidays, which it seems most SNFs require of new grads. I also worked for several years before grad school doing home visits in geriatrics , so I have some experience in home health although not OT. I think home health would allow me to work with elderly and also seems to have more flexible scheduling available. However I remember professors at our school talking about how as a new grad it was a bad idea because of zero mentorship. I would love any advice on this from anyone who currently works in home health or has in the past as an OT. Thank you!

A couple of my classmates started out in home health as new grads and really like the autonomy and pay. Although it's hard not having a whole lot of experience if you run into a more complicated diagnosis. In a SNF, it's nice to be able to ask colleagues questions and learn from each other.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you know the answer to your question. Is home health the *best* option for a new grad? No, because home health doesn't offer as much opportunity to learn from other experienced OTs (and as a result, you are lacking a supportive network who can help you, answer questions, or even just listen to you complain).

But your question was: is it okay to work in home health as a new grad. Of course it is. Ultimately you can choose to work in whatever area you want. And if you are unhappy, you can always leave home health. :)

Good luck.

Could you comment on the compensation and region of the country you are in?

Hi, I saw your question and thought that I would respond because I can give you the perspective of an OT from the home health setting. I also was pregnant and worked with my last baby in this setting. I'm sorry to hear about your exposure to C diff, that is some contagious stuff. Home health is difficult if you are a new grad--I started this area after working in the nursing homes for about 5 years however I wouldn't let that stop you from applying. The company that I work for has a mentorship type of training program where you get to shadow another therapist. The other thing that is good is that home health is less acute than the nursing homes where you are exposed to so much like the hospitals. I was pregnant when working in the area and just let my supervisor know so that I didn't get any shingles cases etc. I never contracted anything or was exposed to anything when I worked in that setting. You're correct about the flexible scheduling and once you have kids, you'll enjoy being able to set up your schedule around stuff like day care, school programs etc. I'm not required to work holidays and weekends like I was in the nursing home but it may depend on your company. I would say that if you're passionate about home health, I would go for it. In truth, I wish that I hadn't waited 5 years before going into home care.

Reactions: 1 users