Employment & Professional Networking New Grad OTR in Virginia/DC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

callyb

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! I'm a new grad OTR (just graduated in December and passed boards in February!). I'm a Texan about to relocate to DC/Virginia area. I'm very nervous because I'm pretty knowledgeable about all of big hospitals/facilities in Texas, but I know absolutely nothing about the DC/Virginia area. The biggest thing I'm looking for in a job is mentorship since I'm a new grad. Is it common for most facilities to offer a mentorship for new grads? And does anyone know of facilities in the area that are known for good mentorship programs? Or just any facilities that are known to be good places to work in general? I'll take any advice I can get 🙂 Thanks!!
 
Hello there! I would recommend reaching out to the VA, MD, or DC OT associations to do some networking and see what information they have. By joining a state association, you are likely to be able to connect with potential mentors as well as gaining other benefits. Especially if you are moving to an area where you are unfamiliar, it could be a good choice!

Even if you don't join a state association, sending a quick email explaining your situation and seeking information, or even posting on their social media page can be a good way to get reliable information! Best of luck moving, and I hope you enjoy life on the East coast!