New grad with some job options. Not sure what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaliRN95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two job opportunities that i'm currently debating between.

1. FFS PP with good patient flow and good collections percentage. Office does a good amount in production and theyre scheduled months ahead of time . Pay is 35% of production. I really liked it at this office and I got along well with the Doc and think it would be a good place to start. However, They're not offering a guaranteed salary or benefits (which my wife and I will need since we're planning on having a baby sometime next year)

2. DSO offering 180k guaranteed with a sign on bonus. Benefits. CEs. BUT, I will be the only doc in the office. Not sure how I feel about this as a new grad to be honest so i'd like your thoughts.

Which would you choose?

Members don't see this ad.

My co-worker works with me for two days and works at another place for three days. He is stressed out nowadays because the other place is really slow, and he is only making around $300 a day at that place. You must have a daily guarantee, or otherwise, you may be the one who takes home $300. A daily guarantee is your safety net. So I would avoid Option 1.

2. I don't like the idea of working alone full-time. At the minimum, I would like to have someone else work with me at least once a week, so that if there is any difficult case coming up, you can schedule it on a day when the experienced dentist is present.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I have two job opportunities that i'm currently debating between.

1. FFS PP with good patient flow and good collections percentage. Office does a good amount in production and theyre scheduled months ahead of time . Pay is 35% of production. I really liked it at this office and I got along well with the Doc and think it would be a good place to start. However, They're not offering a guaranteed salary or benefits (which my wife and I will need since we're planning on having a baby sometime next year)

2. DSO offering 180k guaranteed with a sign on bonus. Benefits. CEs. BUT, I will be the only doc in the office. Not sure how I feel about this as a new grad to be honest so i'd like your thoughts.

Which would you choose?
Out of those 2 options, #1 is my pick. You may be able to talk to the owner and see if they will give you a modest guarantee for the first few months so you can get in your groove before it's all on your shoulders. That's a pretty reasonable request in my mind.
I'm thinking $5-800 daily depending on the area. Hopefully within a few weeks, you'll be passing that anyways. You have much a higher earning potential at a FFS with good collections vs most DSO offices. Also, having a mentor and lifesaver for when you need them is gold imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need more information to make a decision, especially since you’re sweating the daily minimum.

Ask office #1 what an average week will look like for you, in terms of procedures and patient volume. Then ask what that would produce to determine your % of collections. If it’s a healthy practice there should not be large ebbs and flows of patients. If it’s a great practice, the daily minimum might be irrelevant.

With that information you can compare what your potential earnings are between offices to decide which is the better offer. Don’t forget to factor in the cost of health insurance. If you’re going to pass on #1 only because of the lack of a minimum, you might as well try to negotiate one.

I think you need more information to make a decision, especially since you’re sweating the daily minimum.

Ask office #1 what an average week will look like for you, in terms of procedures and patient volume. Then ask what that would produce to determine your % of collections. If it’s a healthy practice there should not be large ebbs and flows of patients. If it’s a great practice, the daily minimum might be irrelevant.

With that information you can compare what your potential earnings are between offices to decide which is the better offer. Don’t forget to factor in the cost of health insurance. If you’re going to pass on #1 only because of the lack of a minimum, you might as well try to negotiate one.

So option #1 actually had an associate that worked there 2 days/week and made 110k the last year. However this Doc had 15 years of experience and I have none so I don't know how to gauge that. They want me on for 4 days a week. Option #1 wants to split lab fees and Option #2 does not require me to pay any lab fees. Health insurance will be somewhere around $700-1k per month

My co-worker works with me for two days and works at another place for three days. He is stressed out nowadays because the other place is really slow, and he is only making around $300 a day at that place. You must have a daily guarantee, or otherwise, you may be the one who takes home $300. A daily guarantee is your safety net. So I would avoid Option 1.

2. I don't like the idea of working alone full-time. At the minimum, I would like to have someone else work with me at least once a week, so that if there is any difficult case coming up, you can schedule it on a day when the experienced dentist is present.

Good luck!
I can and will ask for the guarantee since that should be there just in case, but honestly the lack of benefits are holding me back even more than that. I'll figure it out soon. Appreciate your response!

My one and only question that others haven't already mentioned. What is the non compete for the first job? If there is no non compete, 100% take the first job. If it doesn't work out, there will always be a DSO job to be had. Even if there is a non compete, I would still take option #1. The ceiling is high in job #1. The ceiling is low in #2. Don't cave to the feigned security of option #2.

Ask for a daily and medical benefits for option 1 - if not go to option 2 and talk to the option 2 people so they understand you are a new grad and you will practice the way you are the most comfortable with but expect them to understand this.

Medical benefits are huge for you and the security especially for a baby on the way.

Production private practice jobs are a gamble even with high %. So it is very uncertain. You could just be doing fillings and all the stuff the owner doesn't want to do.

Plus as a new grad you can work a little slower and get your bearings and knowing you have a salary and benefits as security is a good thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Asked the owner if he can guarantee equal distribution of cases to you. owner will most likely give you fillings only

Choose the option where you can be the solo doc. You can get mentorship from other sources.

be careful with dso, they can work you long days. my friend signed a high paying contract and they work him over 50 hours a week.

be careful with dso, they can work you long days. my friend signed a high paying contract and they work him over 50 hours a week.
Working 50 hrs a week and earning a high salary. I find nothing wrong with this. It's still less hours than what the physicians have to work. Many dentists work 6 days a wk. A person with a young healthy body in his mid 20s can easily handle this work load. The DSO also pays for health insurance and other paid holidays....at least another $1k per month in saving right there. IMO, a guaranteed 180k pay + bonuses + CE + other benefits is a very sweet deal for a new grad who has zero experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Working 50 hrs a week and earning a high salary. I find nothing wrong with this. It's still less hours than what the physicians have to work. Many dentists work 6 days a wk. A person with a young healthy body in his mid 20s can easily handle this work load. The DSO also pays for health insurance and other paid holidays....at least another $1k per month in saving right there. IMO, a guaranteed 180k pay + bonuses + CE + other benefits is a very sweet deal for a new grad who has zero experience.
totally agree