New grad working for a year before applying for a residency...will I find a job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

constantlystressed

Reaction score
Hello everyone
I am about to graduate and have started applying for jobs. The thing is, I am planning on applying for a residency for the upcoming cycle. I am scared to tell potential employers that I am doing this for fear that I won't be able to find a job for only a year. Does anyone have any experience with this? I should note I am not applying to any jobs describing they are looking for long-term or possible ownership. Any advice from practice owners hiring associates or people that have been in this situation before?

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to all jobs even if they claim there’s a partner track (that’s often a lie).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Usually DSOs pay a new grad better in their first year, and there are also more corp jobs available. If you plan to work for 1 year only and do not care about long-term prospects you should look at DSOs.

Hello everyone
I am about to graduate and have started applying for jobs. The thing is, I am planning on applying for a residency for the upcoming cycle. I am scared to tell potential employers that I am doing this for fear that I won't be able to find a job for only a year. Does anyone have any experience with this? I should note I am not applying to any jobs describing they are looking for long-term or possible ownership. Any advice from practice owners hiring associates or people that have been in this situation before?
If you're worried from a moral standpoint just show up every day ready to do an honest day's work. Other than that you don't owe anyone anything and they certainly will be looking out for their best interests. Don't feel bad for looking out for yours.

Hello everyone
I did exactly this and found that being upfront with employers is the best way to go. The only caveat is that if you don't match, would you still reapply or would you just move on and continue working? If the latter, then don't tell them because you truly don't know your plans. I knew even if I didn't match that I would leave after a year so I only looked at FQHCs, DSOs and corporate dental offices. DM for questions if you need.