New Interns- are you starting on psych or medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which rotation are you starting with

• Medicine

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Psych

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

espaceLumiere

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which rotation are you starting out first?

I got unlucky- I'm doing psych first. I remember when I was in med school, our medicine team had a psych intern in the spring and she made us students look like geniuses.

I tried to avoid getting psych first... It is a losing proposition. You warm up to psych, then join medicine with everybody else who already have been doing it for a few months, so you're behind. Then when you go back to psych, your psych is all rusty and you're behind and have to play catch up.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if there really is a good place to start. I'm freaking out right now because I just feel totally incompetent! I'm not sure I have any business carrying my own patients with real responsibility on a medicine rotation! At least I know my psych stuff. I'm actually not starting until July 27 though since I just had a baby 2 weeks ago. So, I have an extra month to prepare I guess. I just hope I'm ready! I had a pretty light 4th year, no real responsibility except on my psych rotations. So, I have a lot of reviewing to do about management of basic medicine stuff!

ended up with psych. Wanted to do med/peds first. Oh well.

At least its split up in 3 month blocks so I'll only be a few months behind the other interns.

I'm one of those weirdos who absolutely loves internal medicine though, so I'm not terribly worried about it. Just would've preferred to get medicine wards out of the way, as I like to do the hard stuff first.

Members don't see this ad :)
I told my program I preferred IM, FM and Peds rotations first before doing Psych, still waiting for the final schedule. Will update this post once I get my schedule..really hoping it's IM so that I can blend in well with the new IM interns :xf:

Starting with medicine which is good........I think. Extremely nervous though.

I tried to avoid getting psych first... It is a losing proposition. You warm up to psych, then join medicine with everybody else who already have been doing it for a few months, so you're behind. Then when you go back to psych, your psych is all rusty and you're behind and have to play catch up.

It could of course vary per program, but from my experience in my program it was better to start in psychiatry earlier vs later for the same reasons mentioned above.

By the time I ended IM, I was told I was just as good, even better than several of the IM residents, and was asked to switch to IM. I was doing work on the same order as my IM colleagues minus several invasive procedures because the IM residents had to have it for their curriculum, while I didn't. I was also treated like one of the gang.

However my psychiatry colleagues who entered later were behind vs the other IM residents, and were not given as much responsibiltiy--and as a result did not learn as much IM. They did not feel as close with those residents.