New Jersey

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joedogma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any input on residency programs in NJ? (there are three of them) Info on these programs is hard to find and you guys tend to be the best source of information...can anyone throw me a bone?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. IMO out of the three programs in New Jersey, the program at UMDNJ in Newark seems the best. It certainly doesn't have a big name, and the area is, well, not very desirable to live, but the program is on par with best programs in NYC, Boston, and Phillie, at least in surgical pathology. Variety is incredible, they get all kinds of weird specimen. Research is second to none; one of the attendings has over 300 papers published. I got an impression that CP is not that good, and you need to travel to Hackensack, which can be a pain. The residents are mostly american grads, and they are all excellent and very friendly.

Thanks for the reply! UMDNJ program looks good on paper but now that I have heard some good things by word of mouth I will definitely apply there. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to add, that residents here work MUCH harder than at other programs that I interviewed. Typical day during surgical path may routinely end at 8-9 PM, sometimes longer. I also found some database which compares number of hours between different path residencies, and UMDNJ definitely had really long hours, comparable to MGH. It was on one of the links off ERAS or NRMP. However, all of the residents are very dedicated, and nobody is miserable.

New Brunswick (Rutgers) is also decent, but I got an impression that they were trying to sell the program too hard to me... Didn't get a good vibe for some reason, maybe because it was the first interview. OH and New Brunswick sucks IMO, Newark is rougher but closer to NYC

Thanks again Nilf. Check your PM!

bumpity bump bump...

Anyone else have any input on the three programs in NJ?

Thanks!

LL