New law would have saved a lot of heartache for Anesthesiologists in Charlotte

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skypilot

2K Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
New laws in Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut restrict the use of Non-Competes.

Connecticut and Rhode Island Enact Statutes Restricting Physician Non-Competes
By David J. Clark on August 9, 2016
Posted in Non-Compete Agreements
David J. Clark

Last month, two New England states enacted laws restricting the use of non-competition provisions in agreements governing an employment, partnership or other professional relationship of a physician.

Broadly speaking, the aim of both of these laws is to protect patients' choice regarding medical care by limiting the ability of employers or partners to contract with physicians such that the physician's ability to practice medicine would be restricted at the end of the professional relationship.

Effective on July 12, 2016, the new law in Rhode Island (R.I. Gen. Laws §5-37-33) prohibits non-compete language in most physician agreements. It renders void and unenforceable any restriction on the right to practice medicine found in virtually any contract creating the terms of employment, partnership or other professional relationship involving a state-licensed physician. The new law therefore invalidates non-competition or patient non-solicitation provisions for Rhode Island physicians. The new law does not apply in connection with the purchase and sale of a physician practice, provided the restrictive covenant is less than five years in duration.
Effective on July 1, 2016, the new law in Connecticut (Public Act No. 16-95) is less sweeping than the Rhode Island law. Rather than prohibiting physician non-competes, the Connecticut law limits the allowable duration (to one year) and geographical scope (up to 15 miles from the primary site where such physician practices of any new, amended or renewed physician agreement. The new law also renders physician non-competes unenforceable if the physician's employment or contractual relationship is terminated without cause.

Rhode Island and Connecticut are the latest in a slowly growing number of states that have taken legislative action to limit the use of physician non-competes. Their neighbor Massachusetts was an early adopter of such a statute. Mass. Gen. Laws chapter 112, §12X (enacted in 1977) bars physician non-competes which include any restriction of the right of a physician to practice medicine in any geographic area for any period of time after termination. Much of the language in the Massachusetts law appears in the recently enacted Rhode Island statute.
Similar language appears in Delaware and Colorado statutes dating from the early 1980s, which state that covenants are void if they restrict the rights of physicians to practice medicine upon termination of the agreements containing the covenants.

More recently, Texas (in 1999) and Tennessee (in 2012) both enacted statutes (as did Connecticut) applying stricter standards to physician non-competes than are applicable to employee non-competes in general, while stopping short of invalidating such physician non-competes.

It remains to be seen if the enactment this summer of these statutes in Connecticut and Rhode Island is merely a coincidence, or foreshadows more state legislatures pursuing such limitations of physician non-competes.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good for docs. Not good for employers of docs. who sometimes are docs. The only reason that we got anything in our buyout was the enforceability of noncompetes. Of course now that I am an employee again, I hope this law soon comes to my state.

This is good news. At my current gig, our CEO has declared the No Compete Clause valid for only one year. I thought that was pretty forward thinking on his part. Seems like others are following suit.

Members don't see this ad :)
With the end of noncompetes I see this as the very beginning of AMC groups. No more leverage for amcs. Hospital doesn’t like the AMC deal with the docs directly. Good news!

Reactions: 1 users
Rhode Island and Massachusetts haven’t enforced non-competes for a while now. This is something that we should push for in every state. It’s good for individual docs, but bad for the entities that employ them. It does weaken a small, independent private practice’s ability to fend off a larger entity from taking the contract...whether that be a hospital or AMC. However, given the direction we are going with the majority of physicians being employed, legislation restricting non-competes should be at the top of our political agenda.

With the end of noncompetes I see this as the very beginning of AMC groups. No more leverage for amcs. Hospital doesn’t like the AMC deal with the docs directly. Good news!
So you become an employee of the hospital instead. Is this any better? If anything it may make things worse for docs who are current AMC employees as the AMC will
bend over backward to accommidate every request now that they have lost a lot of leverage...

Don't count your chickens. First of all, while the trend is for the enforceability of noncompetes is negative, It is more than a little premature to say that they are ending. There are plenty of locations where they are still quite enforceable.
Example you are an equal partner in a wonderfully democratic group. Say 15 docs and 30 CRNAs. All the docs and CRNAs are employed by XYZ Anesthesia Partners and all the docs are equal shareholders. XYZ has noncompetes with its docsand CRNAs. These incentivize the hospital to maintain decent relations with XYZ Corp and incentivize them to renew the contract. If the noncompetes disappear, the CRNAs (all or some)and the docs, (all or some) can be hired away to provide care at the same facility.

This is good news. At my current gig, our CEO has declared the No Compete Clause valid for only one year. I thought that was pretty forward thinking on his part. Seems like others are following suit.

Why does your CEO want a noncompete at all?