New MCAT Chat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDrB

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to see how many others out there are also part of the first group who will applying via the new MCAT. What are the differences in the way you're studying? Luckily, my undergraduate degree is in sociology, with a psych minor, so I'm not too worried about the new section. I also read that there will be less organic chemistry, replaced by biochem. I'll be taking biochem at the same time I take the MCAT, so I'm a little worried about that.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I will be using old books (which I just bought on eBay) and supplementing new Psych resources later on because it all seems like memorization and application of it.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be taking the new MCAT as well. I'm a biology major with a concentration in microbio and immunology. I've taken a sociology class, but I think it'll be a good idea to take a psyc course with the new section having behavioral science emphasis. I'm really nervous for the new one. I was thinking about taking the old one in January, but I am not sure I would feel really prepared. I'm still torn.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@mc3894 you might check out the CLEP books for Psychology and Sociology. I was surprised to find how informative they were and ended up CLEPing out of several courses as an undergraduate. With that said, I haven't really reviewed in-depth what exactly is covered in the new behavioral sciences section of the MCAT.

I'll definitely look into that for sure. I am a little worried about the amount of resources we may have available by the time our test time comes around. I know that at least one practice test is to be released this Fall, but the second practice test isn't set to be released until Fall 2015.

Yeah, it's going to be a little tight. I'm wondering if some of the big name prep programs will be modifying their curriculum beforehand. I'm still on the fence about dishing out thousands of dollars for one, but it's likely worth it.