New Medical Schools for 2016?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ronnicus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any new schools that have opened for admission this year (or recently) that may be easier to get in?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
LCME has a couple of schools that are provisionally accredited for next year, including CUNY SOM, UT Austin and UT River Grande Valley. That said, just because they are new, doesn't mean they may be easier to get in. Most new schools generally offer free or discounted tuition in the initial year to draw applicants. CUNY and UT Austin are also in favorable cities.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
New MD schools are slightly easier to get into, new DO schools, much more so.

Just avoid CN"U".

The new UTx schools will favor Texans, just like the older ones.

I've heard word that the CUNY Med program is an extension of Sophie Davis, and/or will favor those with service to the underserved

Reactions: 2 users

Just avoid CN"U".

I've heard word that the CUNY Med program is an extension of Sophie Davis, and/or will favor those with service to the underserved

I'm applying DO too- are there any new ones I should apply to this cycle?

For CUNY Med, after going on their website, I got the impression that they only accept students doing BS/MD from Sophie Davis. Can anyone else confirm this?

Just avoid CN"U".

Also what's wrong with CNU (California Northstate?), was going to apply because of the low average gpa and mcat.

Also what's wrong with CNU (California Northstate?), was going to apply because of the low average gpa and mcat.

There's nothing wrong with CNU. Many people think it's inappropriate for the school to be for-profit. An MD is an MD regardless of its tax status.

One of the most successful DO schools (RVU) is for-profit. Their graduates enter a variety of great, competitive residencies. I don't expect CNU graduates to face any hurdles lol

? It seems like it accepts a good amount of out of state students. Is the data on MSAR just completely made up?
It is attracting a good amount of applicants both in state and out of state because applicants are desperate. Many do not want to apply to DO schools, many only want to be in California. These applicants put the blinders on and see CNU as a viable option. At this point is has not proven to be a good option or not. There are certainly more than a few question marks about the school. Until this school graduates it's first class or 2 it a risk...but many are happily choosing to accept that risk.

No federals loans is a non-starter for me. If you happen to be very rich, by all means apply to CNU.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is attracting a good amount of applicants both in state and out of state because applicants are desperate. Many do not want to apply to DO schools, many only want to be in California. These applicants put the blinders on and see CNU as a viable option. At this point is has not proven to be a good option or not. There are certainly more than a few question marks about the school. Until this school graduates it's first class or 2 it a risk...but many are happily choosing to accept that risk.

Other than the standard, brand new school question marks. What other red flags are there? The general consensus seems to be avoid this school at all costs. Excuse my ignorance to the subject, but I'm curious as to why this is.

No federals loans is a non-starter for me. If you happen to be very rich, by all means apply to CNU.

They don't accept federal loans? I didn't see that on MSAR. Yikes. So you would either pay out of pocket entirely, receive scholarships, or get state loans? Welp, not sure if I should apply to that school now...

They don't accept federal loans? I didn't see that on MSAR. Yikes. So you would either pay out of pocket entirely, receive scholarships, or get state loans? Welp, not sure if I should apply to that school now...

Private loans.

Gyngyn suspects they are in cahoots with private lenders. I can't comment on that.

Private loans.

Gyngyn suspects they are in cahoots with private lenders. I can't comment on that.

They only accept private loans? That's horrible. What is a schools motivation for doing that? Besides for sketchy business with private lenders.

I'm sure they would accept cash, scholarships, etc. I don't think state student loans exist for a private med school do they?

Regardless, no federal loans is a huge deal for most applicants.

Other than the standard, brand new school question marks. What other red flags are there? The general consensus seems to be avoid this school at all costs. Excuse my ignorance to the subject, but I'm curious as to why this is.

CNU and RVU are symptoms of the same disease that gave us the University of Phoenix, DeVry, Corinthian, and ITT Tech.

Reactions: 1 users
That disease is rampant in higher education. Mayo expands to Arizona and Florida. Touro creates branch schools every other year. It's all because more students = more revenue. The majority of these venerable, not-for-profit institutions are essentially for-profit.

CNU and RVU are symptoms of the same disease that gave us the University of Phoenix, DeVry, Corinthian, and ITT Tech.

CNU has literally nothing in common with RVU outside of tax status. RVU has federal loans and is quickly becoming one of the respected DO institutions. CNU has done nothing but engage in suspect behavior since they started accepting applications.

I wonder if RVU had the same backlash as CNUCOM when RVU first started. I feel like a big reason many people feel so negative about CNUCOM is because it is the 1st MD for-profit school with zero track record. So, I totally understand the skepticism. If CNUCOM proves in a few year that they can graduate a class with decent residencies, people would feel the same way about CNUCOM as people feel about RVU now.

I wonder if RVU had the same backlash as CNUCOM when RVU first started. I feel like a big reason many people feel so negative about CNUCOM is because it is the 1st MD for-profit school with zero track record. So, I totally understand the skepticism. If CNUCOM proves in a few year that they can graduate a class with decent residencies, people would feel the same way about CNUCOM as people feel about RVU now.

It did, at least around these parts. Look up the RVU threads from the school specific forum from ~2008.

CNU has literally nothing in common with RVU outside of tax status. RVU has federal loans and is quickly becoming one of the respected DO institutions. CNU has done nothing but engage in suspect behavior since they started accepting applications.

The problem is that little "tax status" issue represents a highly corrosive influence on modern education. You can try and make it sound innocuous, but for-profit status means something.

I don't know anything about RVU becoming a respected institution. Considering it was founded by the former chancellor of AUC, I think it's going to take longer than a mere decade to wash off the stains. Then again, perhaps this will be diluted out more quickly by all the other 500+ student/<40 core faculty schools opening up. Just look at RVU's new metastatic deposit in Ivins, UT.

The problem is that little "tax status" issue represents a highly corrosive influence on modern education. You can try and make it sound innocuous, but for-profit status means something.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think "non-profit" universities are making a boat load of money. Non-profit simply means they spend all of the money that comes in, but they are free to do that spending on anything, including salaries, bonuses, fancy new buildings, etc. People conflate the words "non-profit" and "charity" far too frequently. The hospital I work at is non-profit, but our CEO made 5 million dollars last year.

I don't know anything about RVU becoming a respected institution. Considering it was founded by the former chancellor of AUC, I think it's going to take longer than a mere decade to wash off the stains. Then again, perhaps this will be diluted out more quickly by all the other 500+ student/<40 core faculty schools opening up. Just look at RVU's new metastatic deposit in Ivins, UT.

RVU is doing quite well in terms of boards scores (both COMLEX and USMLE) and matches. The students I know there are very happy, and they are not being kicked out of the school in droves. While it is correct that someone is making money, and that guy may well be an asshat, RVU has not played out to be comparable to the Caribbean schools at all.

You are kidding yourself if you don't think "non-profit" universities are making a boat load of money.

I haven't said a word about the more generalized ills of higher education, but you are kidding yourself if you cannot appreciate the underlying distinction between institutions founded on core values of teaching, research, and service versus those that are designed as inherent commercial ventures.

ChrisMack390 said:
RVU is doing quite well in terms of boards scores (both COMLEX and USMLE) and matches. The students I know there are very happy, and they are not being kicked out of the school in droves. While it is correct that someone is making money, and that guy may well be an asshat, RVU has not played out to be comparable to the Caribbean schools at all.

I do not consider the above to represent a mark of excellence.

We have been through this so many times on here. No it really doesn't. Tax status has zero bearing on your medical education unless some seriously shady stuff is going on. We could go far more into depth but I'm not really in the mood after it has been hashed ad nauseum before. Just because something is labeled as "not-for profit" means nothing, if you think that most of these large medical schools aren't trying to turn a profit then I don't know what to say.

nderlying distinction between institutions founded on core values of teaching, research, and service versus those that are designed as inherent commercial ventures.

One does not have to parade around under the banner of non-profit to have exclusive rights to these values.

In this regard I respectfully will say that you just don't know what you are talking about. Most every MD I work with (and it's not like 4-5, it's more like 30+) all say the same thing, and that is that if you are going to go DO then you should go to RVU. A lot of students precept at my hospital from most of the western DO schools and the docs say the RVU students consistently outperform the others in knowledge and preparedness. Their match lists show that PDs don't give a rats about their tax status or their founder. They also require their students to take the USMLE and this last year they had a higher USMLE average than U CO, which, for a DO school is rather impressive even if it only happened once.

As someone from Utah I can also say that the campus in Ivins is actually one of the few new DO schools that is actually a positive. If they even do half of what they say their mission will be then it will be a big win for the state.

Nice well thought out response. Don't turn to juvenile passive aggressive attacks, it ruins your credibility.

I haven't said a word about the more generalized ills of higher education, but you are kidding yourself if you cannot appreciate the underlying distinction between institutions founded on core values of teaching, research, and service versus those that are designed as inherent commercial ventures.

I think the point would be that "for profit" doesn't mean the core mission isn't "teaching, research and service" any more than "not-for profit" does. It is simply a federal tax status. Does someone need to pull a list of worthless "not-for profit" charities that are little more than scams invented to line the pockets of the founders/those on staff? Or the few but growing ranks of "for profit" mission based companies and "charities" that do everything they can to benefit the world (atleast the best they can from their perspective, as what constitutes "benefit" are pretty subjective)?

That said, I don't really know anything about CNU or RVU beyond their existence to have much of a personal opinion on them specifically other than a general disheartened opinion of the current state of America's education system.

@Med Ed

The danger that I tend to see in institutions like these is that it sets a precedent for diploma mills. Look at law schools. They're a dime a dozen. We now have a huge saturation of lawyers and not enough high paying jobs to go around. I suspect the same could happen to the doctors in the US if we inflate the country with medical schools under the guise of "becoming the answer to the physician shortage".

Bottom line, private institutions could end up pumping out high quantities of students with low quality of education. Not to mention the fact that schools in the US consistently penalize individuals seeking higher education by preying on them with high tuition and intangible fees. The system is diseased and pumping it with more, more, more isn't necessarily the answer in my book.

Just my .02

@Med Ed what exactly would make you consider a newly established med school a decent place beyond their students performing well and going on to reputable residencies in the specialities of their choice?

@Med Ed

The danger that I tend to see in institutions like these is that it sets a precedent for diploma mills. Look at law schools. They're a dime a dozen. We now have a huge saturation of lawyers and not enough high paying jobs to go around. I suspect the same could happen to the doctors in the US if we inflate the country with medical schools under the guise of "becoming the answer to the physician shortage".

Bottom line, private institutions could end up pumping out high quantities of students with low quality of education. Not to mention the fact that schools in the US consistently penalize individuals seeking higher education by preying on them with high tuition and intangible fees. The system is diseased and pumping it with more, more, more isn't necessarily the answer in my book.

Just my .02

I know this idea comes up a lot but I don't see how medicine could ever go the way of law. The rate limiting step to the number of physicians in this country is not the number of medical graduates, it is the number of residency slots. Under the current system a law would have to be passed allowing medical graduates to practice sans residency or for a huge increase in residency spots to happen for medicine to ever go the way of law.

I know this idea comes up a lot but I don't see how medicine could ever go the way of law. The rate limiting step to the number of physicians in this country is not the number of medical graduates, it is the number of residency slots. Under the current system a law would have to be passed allowing medical graduates to practice sans residency or for a huge increase in residency spots to happen for medicine to ever go the way of law.

For this reason, thank goodness it takes doctors (to some degree) to train doctors.

You're right. Now my concern is that, given the large movement in the USA to dumb things down and include everyone, a law would be passed to allow doctors to practice without a residency. I'm sure they'll come up with some fancy title to confuse patients into a false sense of security.

You're right. Now my concern is that, given the large movement in the USA to dumb things down and include everyone, that a law would be passed to allow doctors to practice without a residency. I'm sure they'll come up with some fancy title to confuse patients into a false sense of security.

They have already done this. They're called DNPs

Edit: I read it again and I think I missed your sarcasm. Well played :ninja:

@Med Ed what exactly would make you consider a newly established med school a decent place beyond their students performing well and going on to reputable residencies in the specialities of their choice?

Your premise seems to rest on (1) meaningful assessment of student performance; (2) knowledge of "reputable residencies"; and (3) intimate knowledge of true student preference regarding specialty choice. I respectfully submit that all three of those measures have marked drawbacks when considering the strength of a medical education program.

Another way of phrasing the question would be "which new schools have done it right?" While not an exhaustive list, I would point to Hofstra and Oakland-William Beaumont as two programs that leveraged considerable strengths to build quality programs. Both represent partnerships between academic institutions and large healthcare entities, replete with GME and thousands of physicians and hospital beds. While I have no doubt that the CEO's of these two systems have huge paychecks, the fact remains that they are both modeled on a comprehensive strategy to educate would-be physicians from M1 to M4 and beyond.

Compare them to the spate of warehouse medical schools that have opened up in recent years, with large classes, few faculty, and "figure-it-out-later" clinical education.

Do you need assistance in learning how to quote?

If you noticed how it was formatted it may have crossed your mind that it was intentional... Also I duly note that you have still not responded to the content of that post and continue to focus on an exceptionally trivial aspect in an attempt to cover up the fact that you are wrong in this instance. I'm sure your attending physician colleagues would be proud. It's like an old acquaintance I had who would always turn to insulting someone's nose when a discussion went apart from what he expected.

In an attempt to underail the thread I will only be responding to well thought out responses to the practical discussion we were having earlier.

Your premise seems to rest on (1) meaningful assessment of student performance; (2) knowledge of "reputable residencies"; and (3) intimate knowledge of true student preference regarding specialty choice. I respectfully submit that all three of those measures have marked drawbacks when considering the strength of a medical education program.

Another way of phrasing the question would be "which new schools have done it right?" While not an exhaustive list, I would point to Hofstra and Oakland-William Beaumont as two programs that leveraged considerable strengths to build quality programs. Both represent partnerships between academic institutions and large healthcare entities, replete with GME and thousands of physicians and hospital beds. While I have no doubt that the CEO's of these two systems have huge paychecks, the fact remains that they are both modeled on a comprehensive strategy to educate would-be physicians from M1 to M4 and beyond.

Compare them to the spate of warehouse medical schools that have opened up in recent years, with large classes, few faculty, and "figure-it-out-later" clinical education.

I do agree that there is something off putting about the single building med school in the middle of nowhere. Many of the DO schools that are considered most reputable are like this though, so it seems to work out fine at least in some cases.

If you noticed how it was formatted it may have crossed your mind that it was intentional...

It did, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

AnatomyGrey12 said:
Also I duly note that you have still not responded to the content of that post and continue to focus on an exceptionally trivial aspect

The reason why I have not responded to the content of your post is because clicking "reply" yields the following code: [QUOTE-"AnatomyGrey12, post: 17774683, member: 716908"][/QUOTE]

I prefer a fairly standard approach of replying to individual elements, properly formatted, so the discussion is intelligible. In this case it would require me fixing your City Wok quote job by copying, pasting, and adding additional code. Since you couldn't be bothered to reply in the same manner as 99.97% of SDN users, I'm not going to bother doing the work to fix it for you. If you would like to start over, I will be more than happy to accommodate.

I do agree that there is something off putting about the single building med school in the middle of nowhere. Many of the DO schools that are considered most reputable are like this though, so it seems to work out fine at least in some cases.

If you ever get truly bored, you should read some of the 1910 Flexner Report, upon which most modern medical education was built. The first three chapters are particularly interesting/scathing, as is the introduction:

No one can become familiar with this situation without acquiring a hearty sympathy for the American youth who, too often the prey of commercial advertising methods, is steered into the practice of medicine with almost no opportunity to learn the difference between and efficient medical school and a hopelessly inadequate one. A clerk who is receiving $50 a month in the country store gets and alluring brochure which paints the life of a physician as an easy road to wealth. He has no realization of the difference between medicine as a profession and medicine as a business, nor as a rule has he any adviser at hand to show him that the first requisite for the modern practitioner of medicine is a good general education. Such a boy falls an easy victim to the commercial medical school, whether operating under the name of a university or college, or alone.

If you ever get truly bored, you should read some of the 1910 Flexner Report, upon which most modern medical education was built. The first three chapters are particularly interesting/scathing, as is the introduction:

No one can become familiar with this situation without acquiring a hearty sympathy for the American youth who, too often the prey of commercial advertising methods, is steered into the practice of medicine with almost no opportunity to learn the difference between and efficient medical school and a hopelessly inadequate one. A clerk who is receiving $50 a month in the country store gets and alluring brochure which paints the life of a physician as an easy road to wealth. He has no realization of the difference between medicine as a profession and medicine as a business, nor as a rule has he any adviser at hand to show him that the first requisite for the modern practitioner of medicine is a good general education. Such a boy falls an easy victim to the commercial medical school, whether operating under the name of a university or college, or alone.

Yikes. My understanding is that LCME accreditation is heavily based on the Flexnor report though, no?

The Flexnor report was certainly scathing and an eye opener that changed medical education for the better, but I don't see how it has anything to do with how RVU has become a respected school, which was how this topic came up. I am genuinely curious what you were getting at, was your point about LCME certification? Because that would make sense.

It did, but I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

The reason why I have not responded to the content of your post is because clicking "reply" yields the following code: [QUOTE-"AnatomyGrey12, post: 17774683, member: 716908"]

I prefer a fairly standard approach of replying to individual elements, properly formatted, so the discussion is intelligible. In this case it would require me fixing your City Wok quote job by copying, pasting, and adding additional code. Since you couldn't be bothered to reply in the same manner as 99.97% of SDN users, I'm not going to bother doing the work to fix it for you. If you would like to start over, I will be more than happy to accommodate.[/QUOTE]

There is no reason to quote the post to respond adequately. you just keep evading the issue...

The Flexnor report was certainly scathing and an eye opener that changed medical education for the better, but I don't see how it has anything to do with how RVU has become a respected school, which was how this topic came up. I am genuinely curious what you were getting at, was your point about LCME certification? Because that would make sense.

1. It's Flexner, not "Flexnor."
2. The LCME grants accreditation, not certification.
3. The Flexner Report is germane because he was essentially railing against the pervasive growth of "proprietary" medical schools that cared more about making money than providing education. The Caribbean medical schools follow this model, some are basically Ponzi schemes built on federal loans, and a lot of folks don't relish the creep of for-profit institutions back onto American soil because it harkens back to the pre-Flexner era. Whereas traditional medical schools owe ultimate allegiance to broader society, RVU owes ultimate allegiance to Castle Pines Holdings, LLC.

AnatomyGrey12 said:
There is no reason to quote the post to respond adequately. you just keep evading the issue...

Simply start over with the CliffsNotes version of your comment and I will address it.

Yikes. My understanding is that LCME accreditation is heavily based on the Flexnor report though, no?

The LCME wasn't born until 1942. The Flexner Report's recommendations were lobbied for/enacted mostly by state-level AMA chapters before that.

Accreditation is necessary but not sufficient to ensure quality medical education. Accreditation standards are, by definition, bare minimums, and COCA's are less stringent than the LCME. It should also be noted that the first accreditation hurdle, for preliminary status, emphasizes the preclinical years, which are the easiest to pull off. The catch is that by the time the clinical education is scrutinized (for provisional status) the school already has students, and the LCME is loathe to shut programs down. When they have done so in the past the students must be redistributed to other schools, and it's a total mess.

Last edited:
@AnatomyGrey12
dude, please, stop.
You haven't even applied to medical school yet speak as if you're an expert on medical education.
I'm going to RVU and even I'm not this gung-ho about the school. You're hurting the cause more than you're helping, believe me.

@Med Ed
I agree with you on a lot except I believe you have a small misunderstanding on the role of CastlePinesLLC in the school. I only recommend that if you want to discuss how RVU works and what the real implications of the for-profit model look like here (because each schools works completely differently) than talk to a current student or alumni instead of a someone that hasn't even stepped foot on campus.

@AnatomyGrey12
dude, please, stop.
You haven't even applied to medical school yet speak as if you're an expert on medical education.
I'm going to RVU and even I'm not this gung-ho about the school. You're hurting the cause more than you're helping, believe me.

I've wondered when you would do this ever since you asked me if I was a med student. The fact that I haven't applied yet means nothing. Especially if you are implying that you know more since you have been accepted. I will never claim to be an expert on medical education and heck I haven't even been all "gung ho" about RVU, all I did was defend it when it was lumped into the same category as CNU and, quite frankly, you should to if you are going there. That was my sole purpose in all of this. I actually agree with most of Med Ed's points. I was just bugged that instead of responding he just focused on the quoting thing..

@Med Ed here is your original quote and some of my earlier comments, just to be clear I do agree with your overall points, I am just defending RVU being lumped in with CNU.

Most every MD I work with (and it's not like 4-5, it's more like 30+) all say the same thing, and that is that if you are going to go DO then you should go to RVU. A lot of students precept at my hospital from most of the western DO schools and the docs say the RVU students consistently outperform the others in knowledge and preparedness. Their match lists show that PDs don't give a rats about their tax status or their founder. They also require their students to take the USMLE and this last year they had a higher USMLE average than U CO, which, for a DO school is rather impressive even if it only happened once. Remember that all I am saying is that it has become a fairly well respected DO school.

As someone from Utah I can also say that the campus in Ivins is actually one of the few new DO schools that is actually a positive. If they even do half of what they say their mission will be then it will be a big win for the state.

Especially if you are implying that you know more since you have been accepted.
I KNOW that I don't know anything which is why I told @Med Ed to talk to someone else. If you have more to say, just message me.

Anyway, not going to discuss this, this thread has gone too far off topic anyway. To the OP's point, Mayo is opening a new school in Arizona which will start recruiting students in the upcoming cycle. I also know that UNLV will begin recruiting students as well at Seton Hall. Mayo is going to start building their education building soon while Seton Hall bought a corporate office building that they are planning on transforming into the medical school, a little odd because it is far from their main undergraduate campus and Hackensack Hospital in North Jersey, their main clinical partner. Don't know about anything else. Best of luck in the cycle!